Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently purchased a 2019 Giant Fathom 2 and it has the 15X110 boost thru axle on the front and from my understanding has the 135QR on the rear.
I am wanting to upgrade the wheelset to a stiffer one as i am a big guy and i can hear/feel a little flex every now and then when tearing through rough singletrack.
However, i am clueless on how to get the correct wheelset due to the two different axle types.

Any suggestions or options?

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,542 Posts
It has Boost 141 rear hubs which are Boost 148 hubs with QR end caps. Several hub manufacturers have end caps that can be swapped out. Hope, DT Swiss,Sram 900 and I9 are just a few off the top of my head. It's really not an issue.

Hubs[F] Giant Tracker Performance Boost 15x110mm, sealed bearing [R] Giant Tracker Sport Boost QR 141, loose ball

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,542 Posts
im still confused on how this works with end caps conversions and what not. Id like a stiffer rear end ( no pun intended!) but im not sure what type of rear wheel i can put on.
You will not be able to put a thru-axle on your QR dropout frame. You will still have to use a QR hub. It will not be any stiffer changing hubs but the hub quality will be better.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will not be able to put a thru-axle on your QR dropout frame. You will still have to use a QR hub. It will not be any stiffer changing hubs but the hub quality will be better.
my main issue is getting stiffer wheel/spokes with better engaging hub. i've never changed MTB wheelsets and im not seeing a QR141 rear option on the few sites ive viewed.
when putting in rear axle type on sites what should i actually type in?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So a wheelset with these dimensions should work?

Thru Axle Front: 15/20mm x 110 (Boost)
Thru Axle Rear: QR 12 x 142 mm/12 x 148 mm (Boost) QR Adapter

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
One option is a dt swiss boost 110 front/148 rear wheelset with thru axle end caps on the front and QR skewer end caps on the rear. You can find the wheelset as a package deal, or each wheel individually, but youll likely have to buy the QR end caps yourself.

Check out the dt swiss E1700 wheelset. There are options other than dt swiss, but i am most familiar with that brand and they are very reliable for bigger folks like us.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,542 Posts
Here is a sample wheelset that would meet your goals.

https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/asymmetric-30mm-internal-carbon-light-enduro-wheelset

Product Review
Asymmetric 30mm internal carbon light Enduro wheelset
WM-i30A
Price: $846.00
Current configuration wheelset weight: 1681.84+/-25g
Rim Size: 650B
Series: Premium
Version: AM
Finish: Matte
Weave: UD
Spoke Count: 32H/32H
Hub Type: DT SWISS 350
Ratchet: Upgrade 54T
Hub Color: Black
Front Axle: 15*110mm BOOST
Rear Axle: 12*148mm BOOST
Freehub: Shimano 9-11spd
Brake Interface: 6-bolt ( Disc )
Spoke: Sapim Race
Spoke System: Straight pull
Nipple: Aluminium Black
Decal colors: Blue
Notes
If you have any special requirements, such as more hub color options, more hub type choices, special sizes, upgrade Ratchet, etc., please leave a message when ordering or contact us via [email protected].
Qty:

In the box for notes and special features you would just tell them that you need the QR end caps.
Also if your rear wheel needed to be offset this would be the place to tell them. Some frames require an offset rear wheel although I doubt yours does since it is qr. Check before you order.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.