Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a Trek EX7 and as much as I told myself I would not be upgrading...well, I've upped the Brakes to SLX (which i thought were very necessary), increased my rotors to 180mm FR & RR, Truativ Carbon Handlbar and ESI chunky grippys.

I'm thinking of getting some hoops.....Stans Race Gold or L-Bicycle Carbons. I currently have the Bontrager Duster 29s on mine and converted them to Tubeless and threw on some Schwalbes :) They ride fine, but I know I might be able to lose some rotational mass/weight and make the bike more "chuckable" up short, steep, rocky ascents as well as regular climbs. I'm a lighter rider, 145lbs, fairly fit, but do admittedly lack the "heft and muscle" to handle my bike with more overall ease.....I test rode an Ibis Ripley recently and it was just an eye opener - the Ripley was just lighter and handled much better in every situation. I know, of course, I won't be able to completely replicate that. I'm just doing what I can to come close to it, without having to spend $5,500 on a new bike.

And yes, I am working hard to get my strength up, regardless. Running, Crossfit, paddleboarding, etc....I totally agree with Eddy Merckx "Don't buy upgrades, go Up Grades" :) Hey If I get these hoops I can always carry them over to a new bike right? Thoughts???

·
Diggity Dog
469 Posts
Wheels are always a good choice especially if you keep them for your next bike. They'll make the biggest difference in the way the bike rides. I never have a problem spending money on wheels knowing they will go with any new bike. Keep in mind that wheel size is a changing. You didn't say if you have the 29" or 26" version of the Trek. Unfortunately it appears that 26" is not going to be the norm moving forward, at least on the more expensive FS bikes. It's either going to be 27.5" or 29". Not saying it's right just saying it appears that's the way it will be for the near future at least.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheels are always a good choice especially if you keep them for your next bike. They'll make the biggest difference in the way the bike rides. I never have a problem spending money on wheels knowing they will go with any new bike. Keep in mind that wheel size is a changing. You didn't say if you have the 29" or 26" version of the Trek. Unfortunately it appears that 26" is not going to be the norm moving forward, at least on the more expensive FS bikes. It's either going to be 27.5" or 29". Not saying it's right just saying it appears that's the way it will be for the near future at least.
The Trek Ex7 is a 29er. I guess I'm going to have to decide on a set of Stans Race Gold or light-bicycle carbons....both about the same price (actually the carbons are cheaper).

·
Diggity Dog
469 Posts
The Trek Ex7 is a 29er. I guess I'm going to have to decide on a set of Stans Race Gold or light-bicycle carbons....both about the same price (actually the carbons are cheaper).
Personally I'd go carbon. Have had good luck with LB. A clydesdale friend of mine has a season and a half on a pair with no problems. Lace them to a decent pair of hubs and don't look back. Even the LB hubs seem to be good for the $.

·
Diggity Dog
469 Posts
P.S.

Do the 142/12 upgrade to the rear. It will be worth it and it appears that will be the standard for awhile. Make sure you get the longer Trek ABP thru axle as well as the kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts