Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a new wheelset for my wife's El Salty and wanted some opinions on a few ideas. Ok, so first of all she weighs 115 lb and rides technical singletrack with both wheels firmly on the ground. We live in the UK, so mudfests are quite common. Her current wheelset consists of Mavic XC-717 rims and Deore hubs, built to an obvious budget. Predictably, the hubs feel a bit rough already after 6 months of mainly winter riding.

My wife's input is that she prefers silver rims/hubs to black ones!

So I'm looking at the following wheelset upgrade options:-

1. King ISO hubs 32h, XC-717 disc rims, DT Revolution spokes
2. As 1 but with Hope XC hubs
3. DT Swiss XR1540 factory wheelset
4. Mavic Crossmax SL Disc factory wheelset
5. Other (suggestions welcome)

Bear in mind we live in the UK, so the price difference between Crossmax and King is completely reversed relative to the US. Not that I'll be choosing primarily on cost, but just to avoid the King's are better AND cheaper argument. They might be better, but they're certainly not cheaper where I live!!

I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who has first-hand experience of both King and Hope hubs. Are the King's worth the extra investment?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,754 Posts
Just my two cents and many will disagree with me. I have bikes with King Hubs, DT Swiss 240's hubs and Hope Hubs. If I ranked them, I would put the DT hubs first because they are light, roll well, and work well. Hopes are second because they are heavier. Kings come in third because they have a lot of drag and are noisier than crap. A lot of people like the Kings, but I can't stand the noise and drag.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Yeah, hope bulbs are economical (even nore so if you're UK based) and have a good reputation. A hand built wheel is a better choice. Easier to service, if you need, easier to replace broken spokes, if disaster strikes, etc.

_MK

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not sure if you know but the Hope PRO2 hubs are about to come out and they are definitely worth a look into.

Lots of worthwhile improvement over the old XC.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOY said:
Not sure if you know but the Hope PRO2 hubs are about to come out and they are definitely worth a look into.

Lots of worthwhile improvement over the old XC.
Yeah, these new Hope hubs look very interesting. But they might also make the stock of existing XC hubs great value if they get discounted. Do you know what the improvements actually are?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MK_ said:
Yeah, hope bulbs are economical (even nore so if you're UK based) and have a good reputation. A hand built wheel is a better choice. Easier to service, if you need, easier to replace broken spokes, if disaster strikes, etc.

_MK
I was thinking Hope XC rather than Bulb. I thought the bulb might be overkill for her weight and riding.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mighty Drop Off said:
I called speeedgoat about two days ago to ask about the pro II's, and the guy had never even heard of them. They might be fairly far off in terms of availability in the US.
Good job I live in the UK then ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.