Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get what is needed in order to build a wheelset for all mountain and a bit of downhill use.

I will get a set of 26" ZTR Flow EX rims
I haven't decide what hubs to use yet.
I am between Hope EVO Pro 2 40T and Halo supadrive.
I am a bit confused with the so many points of engagement of the Halo Hub and the big difference from the Hope. I don't know if the Halo is strong enough to leave through a rough all mountain use or it is mainly for freeride and dirt use.

The other thing I haven't decided yet is the spokes. Are the CX-Ray worth the money?
Am I in a position to understand the big difference in stiffness as the Sapim claims or is it just the habit to always get the best?

·
Formerly of Kent
12,334 Posts
There is no difference in stiffness between a Sapim CX-Ray and a Sapim Laser. They have the same cross section area; thus, same "stiffness". That, and a CX-Ray is just a rolled/flattened Laser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Depending on your level of experience, the Lasers are going to give you more grief than a standard 2.0-1.8-2.0 spoke, ie the Sapim Race or DT Competition. If you went with a CX-Ray or Laser, you would be saving about 50 grams per wheel in spoke weight. When you factor in that CX-Rays are about $3 a piece, that seems like a lot of extra money to spend for 50 grams per tire. Personally, I would buy standard DB spokes and put the money you saved into new tires, lighter cassette, 1x conversion,etc. I think you will notice more of a difference that with bladed spokes.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hope hubs are built to a very high level of quality, as good as any of the US made hubs. The four pawl engagement is very solid and the 9 degree engagement is good for most riders. The Halo is an Asian made hub that is good but not the same quality as Hope. The micro teeth ratchet and micro teeth pawls do provide a 3 degree engagement and an "angry bee" sound. But they aren't built to the same level of quality as the Hope and my expectation (based on knowing someone firsthand who has had a couple of the Supadrive hubs) is that their durability is less.

I'd either go Hope or step up to King, Hadley, I9 if you require more POE.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, got the picture.

I am having second thoughts on the rims though...
I was thinking of Pacenti, but I might have to go with DL31's and not the super light TL28's. But the DL's are heavier than my initial selection and now I am also considering WTB i23's!
What do you think?
Are they as strong as the Flow EX? Better? Worse?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
OK, got the picture.

I am having second thoughts on the rims though...
I was thinking of Pacenti, but I might have to go with DL31's and not the super light TL28's. But the DL's are heavier than my initial selection and now I am also considering WTB i23's!
What do you think?
Are they as strong as the Flow EX? Better? Worse?
If you plan on running true tubeless ready tires, then the WTB rims will be the easiest setup. The Flow EX and the Frequency i25 are the same weight so it wouldn't be a gain or loss...just easier setup on the tires.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of getting the i23.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
The i25's are only about 30-40 grams heavier than the i23's. You will have a laterally stiffer wheel that can take more abuse for a slight weight penalty.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand that.
Is the i23 strong enough? As the flow ex?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts