Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am planning on picking up a new set of wheels next month and was looking for some advice. And to get your first question out of the way I'm not asking which is better cause that is obvious. What I want to know is of the following set of wheels is the increased cost from one level to the next worth it?

Set 1: Azonic Outlaws (20mm front) 135mm stardard QR rear
Price ~$250/set

Set 2: Mavic EX 823 with pro II hubs
Price ~$515/set

Set 3: Mavic EX 823 with Industry Nine hubs
Price unknown but guessing 850-950, can anyone verify

So basicly what I am looking for is some input from some people that have tried 2 or more of these setups (doesnt have to be exactly EX823 but comparable). Is set 2 worth double of set 2? Is set 3 worth double of set two?

Thanks gusy for all your help!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I have I-9's and love em. I have had 2 king wheelsets with ex 729 hoops in the past and the i-9's have smoother engagement and immediate response. They are plenty stiff as well with the spokes (given you go that route). They have standard hubs now as well as there proprietary hub spoke combo (which I have).
I like them better than my king wheelset, and thats hard to say.

If you are looking to save $ then go the hope pro II hubs with hoops of choice. They are light, strong and have gotten rave reviews. They are slower on the engagement and its noticeable but overall its got bang for the buck.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
chibow said:
What would I be looking at price wise if I went with the I9's? I have seen a set in copper and am almost sold on them just based on the color, lol
you're looking at 850 - 950

They're amazing wheels, definitely not for everybody and hard to justify for some people. If you have to ask if a wheel is worth $900, you're probably not ready to understand as to why they're worth what they cost. (not being mean by any means, just saying it sounds like you're searching for a reason to buy a killer wheelset, which is fine cause they're hot :)

A lot of people can get by with a 250 wheelset just fine and it sounds like you're in this boat right now.

You didn't mention what kind of riding you're doing, if you race, and it didn't sound like you've destroyed wheels so the Azonic's are probably a safe bet and can hold up to plenty of beating.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtb_biker said:
you're looking at 850 - 950

They're amazing wheels, definitely not for everybody and hard to justify for some people. If you have to ask if a wheel is worth $900, you're probably not ready to understand as to why they're worth what they cost. (not being mean by any means, just saying it sounds like you're searching for a reason to buy a killer wheelset, which is fine cause they're hot :)

A lot of people can get by with a 250 wheelset just fine and it sounds like you're in this boat right now.

You didn't mention what kind of riding you're doing, if you race, and it didn't sound like you've destroyed wheels so the Azonic's are probably a safe bet and can hold up to plenty of beating.
Well I think the Azonics would be on par with what I have now...Mavic D3.1 rims and Xt rear hub/Zoch front hub. Really I was jsut looking for some insite from people that have made this chain of progression. I mean like compairing a corvette z06 to a ford gt to a enzo...each is twice as much as the previous but do you really get twice the performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.