Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im after a set of new wheels in the quest for pimping my Enduro Ex. 05 out. I want a real strong set and the lighter the better obviously. I know of a few wheelsets but the new Easton Havoks have caught my eye on their site here , I appreciate they new just wanted to know if anyone has them or has ridden them before.
 
G

·
i don't have any experience with those wheels.

i do have a set of Mavic Xmax XLs and they are a good wheelset IMO.

there are quite a few people on here that will point out that the drawback to any "proprietary" wheelset is that the parts are specific to that wheelset and can cause some difficulty when trying to replace them at the average bike shop.

from a technical aspect the wheels that you are looking at have some good qualities...

width: they are UST and wide enough to limit burping which is a pain with 19mm rims and wider/more agressive tires

if you really want to be sure you are getting a bomb-proof wheelset you should get a custom built set. remember the saying : light, strong, cheap... pick two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
considered DT swiss??

Zoomy said:
Im after a set of new wheels in the quest for pimping my Enduro Ex. 05 out. I want a real strong set and the lighter the better obviously. I know of a few wheelsets but the new Easton Havoks have caught my eye on their site here , I appreciate they new just wanted to know if anyone has them or has ridden them before.
they have a new 5.1 series for 'enduro', filling their line between their XC & DH rim..they're lite @ 500g/wheel, but reportedly very strong/stiff...do a search for them here...you'll find some discussions about them.

Jdub
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Biker75 said:
they have a new 5.1 series for 'enduro', filling their line between their XC & DH rim..they're lite @ 500g/wheel, but reportedly very strong/stiff...do a search for them here...you'll find some discussions about them.

Jdub
Sorry, post has confused me..... Easton or Mavic do the 500g wheels? Are you sure? That seems insanely light..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
none of the above..

Zoomy said:
Sorry, post has confused me..... Easton or Mavic do the 500g wheels? Are you sure? That seems insanely light..
Hi Zoomy,

actually, the RIMS are made by DT Swiss, and called EX 5.1. That weight is rim only, but if you compare it to mavic 321's at 570 grams for just the rim, they are reportedly a VERY good strength to weight ratio. Check our the Turner forums-some of the folks there riding the 6" travel 6-pack are building those rims up...and are happy w/ the performance. I am building a set up using Hope Hubs myself, I'll post a review in the coming months.

Good luck!
JDub
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
CrossMax XL disc

mechmann_mtb said:
i don't have any experience with those wheels.

i do have a set of Mavic Xmax XLs and they are a good wheelset IMO.

there are quite a few people on here that will point out that the drawback to any "proprietary" wheelset is that the parts are specific to that wheelset and can cause some difficulty when trying to replace them at the average bike shop.

from a technical aspect the wheels that you are looking at have some good qualities...

width: they are UST and wide enough to limit burping which is a pain with 19mm rims and wider/more agressive tires

if you really want to be sure you are getting a bomb-proof wheelset you should get a custom built set. remember the saying : light, strong, cheap... pick two.
I agree totally. These wheels are unbelieveably strong for their weight. Over two years ago we started selling these wheels at our shop. Several "hard" riders are using them and at least one big, heavyweight guy. I have 3 sets myself. Being paranoid on how they would hold up, I ordered a full set of those beefy spokes for the shop to have on hand "just in case"...and I carry 2 of each in my bike bag that goes in my vehicle on trips. We've had no one break any spokes, and even more amazing, require almost no truing. Between our horribly rocky terrain around here and trips to Moab wreaking havoc on them, no one has had an issue...except that "honking" sound you get from the rear cassette body if you don't put a little mineral oil on the pawls once a year...hardly an extreme maintenance issue.

I was surprised to find a couple of the shop guys in Moab using these on their hardcore trail bikes. These guys usually overbuild everything because of their riding capabilities and their terrain conditions. I even saw one of these guys in a posted pic on a local site about Moab off road stuff, and he was doing a pretty wild drop. I asked him how long those wheels lasted under that kind of abuse. He pointed to them on the bike as it sat parked in a bike rack...still running after a year of abuse.

Honestly I know of no other wheelset in this weight catagory that seems to be capable of such abuse with so little issue. Expensive?...yes. Worth it?...yes.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
XMAX XLs

I had a set on a VT1 and had several problems with the freehub, beginning with noise and then failing. After 3 months it began to lock up, and was serviced. 2 months later this was done again, and then 1 month later the assembly needed replacement. This was quite a bummer, so I replaced them. They are light and stiff, and hold trueness very well. I had an impact break the derailleur hanger and send the rear derailleur into a couple of spokes, which were dented, but held. Replacement was straightforward, provided you had the tool. If it were not for the freehub issues, I would have kept them, due to their good performance as a whole.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top