Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Kona Coiler De Luxe this winter for a little DH/FR/trail riding. The stock wheel are fine for the DH/FR part. A bit heavy for trail riding (Sun Singletrack, Deore/KK hubs, straight 14g spokes, brass nipples).

Decided to build a lighter trail bike wheel set without spending too much money.

Alex FD28 rims (28 mm wide, 500g actual weight), Wheelsmith 14/15 spokes, alloy nipples, Hope hubs - Bulb front, XC rear.

Picked the XC rear hub over the Bulb because of cost. Rear wheel weight 1071g.

The Bulb front hub is convertible from 20mm through axle to QR axle so I can use it on any of my bikes. Front weight 872g as 20 mm, 895g QR.

Custom vinyl graphics applied before the wheels were laced.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spotlust said:
OMFG those graphics are fackin awesome. How do oi get me some o dem?
I will be selling the flame graphics soon. The solid color areas are sign vinyl and a PITA to apply. Both are best applied before the wheels are laced.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Padre said:
hey don, how much weight did you save over the other wheelset?
I am guessing 350-400g. I do not want to strip the rotors and cassette from the stock wheels just to put them on the scale.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Padre said:
hehe...you're not the committed weight weenie I thought you were! :D
Would have cost me ~$250 more to drop the next 150-175g (240s rear hub, CX-Ray spokes). Not in the budget.

I also wanted to keep the strength of the wheels in keeping with the Coiler. With 6" of travel on each end I may forget which wheels I am riding. That is why I went with the FD28 rims. Fairly light but still 28 mm wide and deep section. Not very costly either.

I can get the "real" weight loss when I put the whole bike on the scale with similar tires/tubes on both wheelsets.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
Nice Nipples!

Wheelsmith. Cue the wavy out of focus transition~~ Long long ago, I remember a tiny shop, tucked away in an alley in Palo Alto. Wheelsmith had their first little place with one display and an old lathe. Alloy nipples weren't even born yet. But we're still having fun, like the first time we walked into one of those places. Cool.

·
Ex-Gunslinger
180 Posts
Hey Shiggy nice wheels!

I'm guessing these are the wheels you mentioned in my thread? (new wheels for my VT). I never really looked into the hope hubs ...until now that is, they are so well priced against the other high rated hubs. I have the weights for my current wheels and built up your new wheels on paper to what I was planing ....

My current wheelset .. Deore disc hubs & QR, 6 inch rotors, Ditchwitch rims, strapping tape, Maxxis Ultralight tubes, Pana Fire XC (cheap wire ver) 2.1.... F=2231 R=2478... Total =4709g

Your wheelset with ...rotors, bolts, strapping tape, Maxxis Ultralight tubes, Hutch Spider 2.1, boltup skewers (have set 77g) =3689g

That's 1020g I would have dropped :) and if did go for 717 disc rims I was thinking of that would save about another 100g per wheel ..1220g off, that is enough to sell me and will save a few hundred $$ to spend elsewhere to trim some fat off my bike.

Nice

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Laika said:
Hey Shiggy nice wheels!

I'm guessing these are the wheels you mentioned in my thread? (new wheels for my VT). I never really looked into the hope hubs ...until now that is, they are so well priced against the other high rated hubs. I have the weights for my current wheels and built up your new wheels on paper to what I was planing ....

My current wheelset .. Deore disc hubs & QR, 6 inch rotors, Ditchwitch rims, strapping tape, Maxxis Ultralight tubes, Pana Fire XC (cheap wire ver) 2.1.... F=2231 R=2478... Total =4709g

Your wheelset with ...rotors, bolts, strapping tape, Maxxis Ultralight tubes, Hutch Spider 2.1, boltup skewers (have set 77g) =3689g

That's 1020g I would have dropped :) and if did go for 717 disc rims I was thinking of that would save about another 100g per wheel ..1220g off, that is enough to sell me and will save a few hundred $$ to spend elsewhere to trim some fat off my bike.

Nice
Lemme get this straight... your wheels weigh more than 10 pounds? :eek:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lucifer said:
Entirely possible. Most people do not weigh their wheels set as ridden. I just weighed a front wheel: Deore hub, 185 rotor, 32 14/15 spokes, alloy nipples, Mavic F219 rim, Maxxis TS rim strip, 2 layers of strapping tape, Conti Gravity Protection 2.3 tire, 3 oz Stans sealant, no skewer = 4.5 pounds. The rear will be heavier, especially if you include the cassette.

·
Ex-Gunslinger
180 Posts
lucifer said:
If you include the SRAM 7 cassette they = 5039g or 11.09lbs :( ... add in no lockout for front or rear shocks and big hills can be a real PITA. For a while I was commuting on the same setup but with Hookworms (1.5kg actual each!!) and downhill tubes.... scary to think what that would have weighed all up..... No wonder I'm putting together a 19lb hardtail at the mo :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
shiggy said:
Entirely possible. Most people do not weigh their wheels set as ridden. I just weighed a front wheel: Deore hub, 185 rotor, 32 14/15 spokes, alloy nipples, Mavic F219 rim, Maxxis TS rim strip, 2 layers of strapping tape, Conti Gravity Protection 2.3 tire, 3 oz Stans sealant, no skewer = 4.5 pounds. The rear will be heavier, especially if you include the cassette.
I wasn't saying I didn't believe it was possible...
I guess I should have put in my s******ing and cackling and guffawing at the end.... :D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
airwreck said:
Alex FD28 rims (28 mm wide, 500g actual weight)

those sound good, is this your first set?
Yup. It is a new model this year. I have been eyeing them for a few months. Claimed weight is 480g. Both of my rims weighed exactly the same (500g).

·
No. Just No.
5,368 Posts
I must say that those are the hands-down most craptastically wicked obnoxious wheels ever. Nice job Shiggy. If anyone can pull those off it's you. :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.