·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my setup (pre-conversion):
Late 80's frame w/horizontal dropouts
Original steel-rimmed wheels
7-speed freewheel hub

Time for new wheels since the old steelies are beaucoup heavy and showing some rust. My question: Is it better to get a singlespeed-specific rear hub (ala Surly) and get a freewheel cog or will a cassette rear hub and cog work just as well? I want to build up a decent set of wheels that will last past the current frame.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a similar conversion, and used a cassette hub. It works very well and I can change cogs in a snap. Since I use the bike to commute 17 miles each way on the road it's most useful.

I never had a dedicated SS wheel so I can't comment on differences but it works well enough for me.

If it's a steel frame there shouldn't be a problem but still make sure you have enough spacing to fit a 135mm axle in there. If you're building the wheel you can stretch the (steel) frame a bit and center the rim, but if you get a pre-built wheel it might not center very well...

Maurice

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.