Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i am torn between many things. I need a new fork and wheel set bad. My rear wheel is practically destroyed. I am thinking about going rigid instead of suspension fork but i am not sure if this is a good idea. What are the perks of getting a rigid fork what are the cons? What are my options for a new rigid fork? Ok now as for the wheel set. I have no idea what one to get, many people are recommending the azonic outlaw. I was wondering if there were any other options. My main problem is cost. I figured a rigid fork would be cheaper but i am not sure it is worth it as i dont know much about them. Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sorry, no bumping allowed. Please read teh rules.

Normally what I hear about 26ers going to rigid is that they go back to a suspension fork rather quickly. That is the biggest difference from a 20" to a 24 or 26" imo. If you want to go rigid you may as well stick with a 20".

Most nice wheel sets have a through axle front hub which translates into an expensive fork. However, some through hub designs have a QR kit you can purchase separately if you are not ready to make the jump to 20mm through axle.

I personally am going with Atom Lab Pimps because they sell the QR Kit. Which is nice for me cause I don't have the $$$ for a new 20mm fork.

·
Registered
43 Posts
identiti rebate rigid fork is really strong and is also only like 110 bucks, also they have the rebate 14/20 for like 150 that works with 20mm through axles if you go with a wheelset that has one up front. suspension had nothing to do with my switch to a 26 from a 20. after a decade of riding a 20, my joints started feeling all the damage i'd done to them over the years and being hunched up on a 20 inch bike isn't something my back can tolerate for more than about an hour these days. i can ride a 26 all day and have no back pain at the end of it. rigid forks feeel more solid and responsive, and after all the time spent on a 20 a suspension fork at the skatepark feels really messed up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You'll hear a lot of mountain bikers bad-mouthing rigid forks. They feel terrible when you first switch, but once you ride it for a few days, you adjust your riding style for it. I switched from a 100mm gold-label to a dmr trailblade, and I love the crap out of it. Cheaper, lighter, stronger.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well im on a dj4 right now and it is absolutely horrible. it pretty much bottoms out every time i do a drop unless i land way back on my rear wheel, its redic and it is sooo bouncy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I rode a Transition ToP with a rigid fork and it made me hate the bike. Definitely go suspension fork. Sounds like you just had a sub-par quality fork before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts