Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Giant Anthem 2013 29er. The rear hub is finished, it grinds and jumps. According to the specs it is a Formula Sealed Bearing, 32h.

I have removed the cassette but there is absolutely nothing online to describe how to remove this brand of freehub.

Ive attached a few pics.

I am about ready to take a hammer to this thing and go to town in a red mist of rage. Alternatively I can try to stay calm and seek help from you good people.

Question is,
1. what is a suitable replacement for this hub?
2. Can I replace this hub or should I take it to a bike shop?
3. Should I just get a new wheel? (I dont like this option)

Thank you for any advice kind people.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
It grinds, as in the bearings are rough?
It jumps, what, as in jumping gears?

I would be inclined to take it to my LBS (with whom I have a good relationship) and ask for their advice. They may be able to point you in the right direction for replacing bearings, or replacing the old hub with a new hub if that's what you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe Im being pedantic but when I hold it to my ear and turn it I can hear grinding as if there is sand inside....but the bearings seem good. I think its the freehub.

Occasionally Ill be peddling and it jumps forward a notch. Difficult to describe. Its like chain suck but it its the rear hub thats faulty. Its 6 years old and Ive been enthusiastic with pressure cleaners so probably time to fix/replace it.

There are so many different types of hubs available. What would be an appropriate replacement for this? I would have to redo all the spokes but Im keen to learn. If not the entire hub then the freehub, I just dont know how to get the darn thing off though.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Those formula free hubs are not particularly serviceable. You're in new hub territory. Unfortunately, because of the age of the wheel, you're also going to discover you'll break a lot of spokes taking them out, plus unless you get a new hub with the same flange height/spacing you'll likely have to buy new spokes anyway. What's going to happen is you'll discover decent spokes add up in terms of expense. I have a 2013 Anthem as well. One of the best things I ever did for it was put better wheels on it. They don't have to be super nice or carbon or anything. Just check out what a set of DT swiss wheels will cost for it.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Some of these take a 11 or 12mm allen wrench though the bore to unthread the freehub. The freehub comes off as a unit and is replaced as a unit. IDK if this is the case with your hub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any ideas on what kind of wheel is appropriate?
Frame measurement is 135mm width (inside width on the rear)
Size of the dropout hole is 10mm

I couldnt find any DT swiss wheels but I did find 'Hope Tech Enduro - Pro 4' wheel.
But there are options and I have no idea what to choose. Will the 142mm x 12mm option work?

Myframe measurements:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You will need 135 QR hub for the rear and 100mm with for the mounting type you have in the front. Older style so its going to limit your options a fair amount but you could end up with a great deal on some really nice wheels. *Velomine had some Velocity Blunt rims on Shimano XT hubs in 100/135 for a couple hundred bucks a week ago.

·
This place needs an enema
17,092 Posts
Easy to lace a 135mm DT hub for your bike.

Don't need to replace the front at the same time -- it probably has years of life left in it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
grantx - as luck would have it I have a complete pair of Giant S-XC2s off my Anthem X 29er that I still have lying around. These really haven't seen much mileage since I replaced them with a set of Rovals early on. I have sold the Anthem with the Rovals but kept these around.

PM me if you are interested in this option and we can work a deal!

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.