Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to a 29'r back in May, I ordered a set of Stan's Crest/ZTR/supercomp wheels. They're nice, light, etc, but the true hasn't been very good - the rear has had to be re-tensioned and true'd a few times. The front is fine. The part that I'm really unhappy with is the sloppy engagement of the rear hub; I seem to notice it while riding and it's hugely distracting. My last bike had a set of DT/Swiss 240s with the upgraded ratchet and they were nice, but meh. Been there, done that.

I've always wanted a set of King wheels, so I started asking around and thinking maybe I'd just have a rear built up around a King ISO hub. I ended up on the phone with Chad at Red Barn yesterday and had a great conversation. The conversation left me with the notion to order a complete wheelset around King ISO hubs, crest rims, supercomp spokes and brass nipples. I think they would be marginally heavier, but perhaps worth the extra weight.

I've read some threads here about using the classic I9 hubs as an alternative - I guess that is an option, too, but may be out of price range. My question is: Can the CK endcaps be converted from the 9mm QR fr/rr to a different standard if my frame changes? For instance, my 2011 Superfly 100 uses a 135mm rear QR but the 2012 uses a 142/12mm rear. Can the King be converted? If I went from the XX Reba to a XX Sid, which uses a 15mm axle, can the King front be converted?

I've perused the the mfg's websites and it looks as though the I9 is convertible, but I can't tell from the King's.

Can't speak enough about the positive conversation with Chad - if I end up buying wheels, he'll get my money.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yes the ISO front is convertible to 15mm TA, and the ISO 135X10 qr rear is convertible to 142X12 TA. Go here, Hub Specs | Chris King Precision Components , and scroll down to the ISO Spec listing. Conversion options for each hub are listed in the "Upgrade & Conversion Options" column and specified by number that correspond to numbered notes at the bottom of the page.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Awesome, thanks. Totally missed that.

Any idea what kind of weight penalty I'd be looking at with the kings and brass nips?
I don't know what your current wheelset weighs, or the complete list of components, so can't give you a penalty. But I can give you an approximate weight with the Crest and CK hubs. First build, Crest rims, CK hubs, DT Comp spokes, brass nipples, should be right around 1690g. Second build, Crest Rims, CK hubs, DT Super Comp spokes, brass nipples, right around 1650g. I know Stans lists their stock Crest 29er wheelset at 1575g. Unless your wheelset weight it lighter than that you'd be looking at around a 75 to 115g increase in weight, + or - of course.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...I placed my order yesterday with Chad at Red Barn. He spent 1.5 hours on the phone with me sorting out the options. I ultimately went with Chris King ISO hubs in Silver, w/black DT Supercomp spokes, Silver brass nipples and Black Stan's Crest rims. Should be enough bling for me and a reasonably light, yet durable wheelset.

Now for the wait...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.