Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently wrecked on my bike and completely tacoed my rear Mavic 221s and need a stronger replacement. I am looking to rebuild with a stronger XC rim. I keep hearing Rhyno Lites are the way to go. I would like to be very specific with the wheel builder at LBS and am looking for any suggestions to keep in mind for building a solid rear wheel (lacing, spokes, etc.). Also, please let me know if I should go with the regular rhyno lites or XL's!

Specs: my weight - 200lbs, bike - HT XC, riding style - moderate to aggressive, some tech DH XC trails

LBS ordering new rim and parts tomorrow, any immediate advice greatly appreciated...thanks!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
tough to answer since I can only assume what you mean by aggressive....

but the DT Swiss 5.1d rim would be my choice; generally considered an "All mountain" category rim which is what I think you are looking for, as opposed to a true XC rim. Would go with DT Swiss Competition spokes......since you did not mention hubs, I assume you are using your old ones?

Other great choices for rims too though.....Syncros DS28 are very sweet, robust as hell, and relatively light well made rims, cheaper than DT Swiss too.

If cost did not matter I would say Sapim spokes but generally, Competitions are a great way to go as they are reasonably light and reasonably tough.

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just noticed you do in fact want XC....sorry. Personally, I really, really like DT Swiss 4.1d rims for XC. Pretty robust, pretty light, and have a kick ass DT swiss specific tubeless conversion kit which works great (I had em on 2 wheelsets). I would still say Competitoin spokes though you coudl probably run Supercomps up front and be ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FoShizzle- thnx for the quick response. I also have read good things about DT rims, but they are a bit on the pricey side (compaired to Sun). Many thanks for the spoke suggestion as well. I will make sure to request DT Comp spokes.

Any suggestions on lacing 2/3 cross or is there a no major difference on lacing patterns?

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
If cost did not matter I would say Sapim spokes but generally, Competitions are a great way to go as they are reasonably light and reasonably tough.
Only Sapim CX-Ray spokes are "expensive". Regular butted and plain Sapim spokes (Race & Leader) are competetively priced with other makes of spokes. Weight and quality are competetive too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts