Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a new set of wheel and looking for input on White Industries Racer X hubs. Durable? How do they compare to C. Kings or DT. I used to have some older W.I. Tracker hubs and they worked OK.

What about tubeless tires/rims. I’m not to hard on my wheels, so I’m looking at going semi-light weight for the wheel set. Do they really work better? Good puncture resistance? Tire selection?

Thanks for any info/input

·
uofabill
213 Posts
WI Hubs=very good!

I had/have a set of White Ind. Tracker hubs and IMO they are among the best I have ever
owned. They are still going on my daughter's bike. I never had to touch them and they're still going.
As far as tubless goes, there are many, many threads on these boards espousing the pros and cons of that set up.
I have gone back and forth between tubes and tubeless. I had some CrossMax UST rims and ran Michelin Com S UST tires with tubeless Slime in them. It worked o.k. until a rock sliced through the tread on one tire. Too big for the Slime to seal. Then one of the rims developed a hairline crack at the valve stem and wouldn't hold air any more. So in frustration I quit that set up and went back to running tubes.
Now out of boredom more than any thing else I have gone back to tubeless. I shucked the CrossMax wheels because they cracked around the nipples on the rear and ultimately several spokes jerked out of the rim. I am a clyde and had to concede that maybe those rims are only for racing and lighter riders.
I am now running some Rhynolites on Hadley hubs and using the Stan's Notubes system with some Conti Explorer Pros.
There is a learning curve to mounting tires with the Stan's system. If you don't read and follow the instructions it can be very frustrating. After we men don't read instructions, we have to blunder into it in ignorance. In fact it can be frustrating even if you have read the instructions and have mounted several tires with the system. Seems like some tires are easier to air up than others.
If you are going with the Stan's system it is designed to be used with non-UST tires. With the Rhynolites mounting the Michelin UST tires was close to impossible. The non-tubeless tires are easier to get mounted.
With tubeless there may be a little weight savings, you can run less tire pressure, and the Stan's sealant is very effective in sealing thorn punctures. Another thing to be aware of, patching a hole in a tubeless tire on the trail IMO is close to impossible and certainly impracticle. It is best to carry a tube in case of a flat and save the patching for when you get home. It is a mess to clean the sealant out of a tire on the trail and get the area around the puncture prepared for that patch.
Hope this helps. Again, there are a ton of threads about the tube/tubeless debate.
Wild Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts