Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody....
Here are a few teaser pics Walt sent this evening of my new fork. As you may notice, it's a bit different than other WW forks that are out there...

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've been wondering for a while why I haven't seen any rigid through-axle forks. Why did you decide to do it this way? It would be overkill for me, but if you likes 'em stiff... this is the way to go. Cool.
-sean

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
sean350 said:
I've been wondering for a while why I haven't seen any rigid through-axle forks. Why did you decide to do it this way? It would be overkill for me, but if you likes 'em stiff... this is the way to go. Cool.
-sean
there are one or two out there, but they are short, tank heavy, and made more for dirt jumping and so on. wouldn't work very well on a trail oriented 26" bike, much less a 29er, unfortunately.

as 20mm forks and front hubs become lighter/better, they seem to slowly be creeping into to mainstream. the weight penalty is pretty minimal, in comparison to the overall increase in stiffness.

yeah, i looooove my Pike with it's 20mm. i can't see ever going back to a regular QR other than on something like a superlight XC race rig.

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
answers...

p0werp0p said:
What kind of front hub are you using?
Phil Wood 20mm thru axel
sean350 said:
Why did you decide to do it this way? It would be overkill for me, but if you likes 'em stiff... this is the way to go. Cool.
Well, I do likes 'em stiff... No, really, my fiance and I both have 20mm White Bros. suspension forks and I didn't want *another* wheel around that only fit one bike (or fork in this case). Also I am Eric, The destroyer of all bicycle parts. This is Walts attempt at building a fork that would withstand my riding style. My high speed downhilling has been noted as being as graceful as 'a bag of hammers' or 'a wounded rhyno on speed'.
El Caballo said:
Let us know how it rides...
Will do! It obviously still needs to be finished and um... finished. Once Walt completes the thing I think I'll be getting it chromed. Once all that's done I'll pound the hell out of it and report back.
lil hillbilly said:
is it a 24mm axel?
Nope. One side is larger than the other, though. That's to accomodate the White Bros axel that I'll be using.
Wish I Were Riding said:
The first WW without a crown? Might be tought to steer, even with tru-axel fork ends
No, that's the new 'lightweight' steerer! ;)

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
E~
That looks sweet! I should be getting my new sussy fork from Walt today ilo of the crack-ed rigid I sent him! Walt's a great guy to deal with for sure!

Don't hesitate to drop me a line about DD :winker:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.