Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2000 stumpjumper m2 comp on craigslist for $350. Compared to a new hardrock or similar "entry level" bike it seems like a good deal (light, nice components, etc.)

While I really like the idea of buying used and getting a great deal, I realize that I don't know a lot about bikes. I guess a ten year old bike might be kind of worn out?
According to the guy who's selling it the bike is in good shape. any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
My advice would be to ask the guy selling it if you could meet at a bike shop and have them check the bike out before you fork over the cash. It's a simple request and they should be willing to let you do it if everythings ok.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Buying used: Great way to get a lot of bike for not much money.

Buying a 10 year old used bike.... not such a great deal. Issues with this bike: the fork is an entry level fork back in the day. No way it's been upkept all these years, i doubt it would be worth repairing, you'd probably just want to replace the fork. Second: you're going to want disk brakes if you start to get into it. I doubt that frame fork has the bosses on it to upgrade. And no way your wheels are setup for it. even if you had the right stuff, i'd still be expensive. All in all, i'd say that bike is now a commuter/hybrid bike. prob worth about $150 max.

So I'd pass on that one. Keep an eye on craigslist and stuff though, you should be able to find a decent bike for that price (something that probably cost $700-900 2-3 years ago).

·
Premium Member
6,887 Posts
It always amazes me the great deals that can be had on craigslist, yard sales on bikes that were never or hardly ever riden if your patient. It also amazes me how much cheaper they are in the winter right around xmas with not much riding going on and people getting new bikes.
Try to find 1 from someone who likes wrenching more than riding to get 1 in tip top shape.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I see nothing wrong with buying some things used. You can get stuff in great condition for a fraction of the original cost.You can find great deals on bikes much newer than that. Keep an eye on Craigslist, the classifieds here and on Pinkbike.

I found this with just a couple minutes of searching(assuming your looking for more of an XC bike). Costs more than the bike you found, but I think its a lot more bike. What is your budget by the way?
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/685471/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies.
sounds like the 2000 stumpjumper is too out of date.
i'm looking to spend $500 or less.

i think maybe i've been internet shopping too much- hoping to catch a great deal on craigslist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts