Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there everyone,

Just curious on everyones opinion on buying used vs. new, i'm writing in regards to good buddy who i've been trying to get into freeriding for a while now. I've taken him on a few trips and he's sure he wants to get into the sport and totally understands the prices. He's pretty set on a bottlerocket (don't get into the "which bike" argument here...). I found him a really good deal through a local shop to get a brand new build with the TBC dual ring build kit but with juicy 5's and Sram X.7 components, Marzocchi 55R fork, and DHX 5 coil, out the door for 2700$ after tax.

now we've been looking at used frames and building one up, buying a complete used setup, etc, all of which come in around the 1700$-2000$ range. Is the extra 700$-1000$ worth it to have it brand new? there's a big part of me that says the extra cash is worth it to have a brand new setup, like if your gonna be spending over 2k on a bike, and are committed enough to get that nice of a bike, it'd be worth it to get it all new, but on the other hand, it's his first real FR/AM bike and he's still unsure about if that extra money is worth it.

opinions? keep in mind i'm NOT asking for opinions for different frames here, he's definitely decided already on the BR.

thanks!

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
definitely new in this case..
if there was a 50% price difference, then I'd consider it.. but in this case, get the new one.

coupla reasons
- original owner warranty and shop support
- new frame = no weld fatigue of any kind.. aluminum has a lifespan, if put through enough use it will eventually fatigue and crack, it's pretty much impossible to know what the previous owner did to the bike as sellers can't be trused :)
i've heard the "i rode my bike to the store and back for 2 weeks, it's practically brand new" one too many times, they always fail to mention that occasional cased 30' gap on the way to the store

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
seanzombie1336 said:
2700 new vs 2000 used?

new by far
pay the 700 for new

but I would buy something USED around 700 to 1000 to make sure he really wants to stay in the sport.....2700 is a lot of money to buy something he might not use in 6 months to a year.....also he is gonna thrash any bike he rides while learning...better to learn on a cheaper bike then buy a new bike

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
SMT - thanks for the bold lettering, i wasn't able to see the rest of your post :rolleyes:

i do see what your saying for sure though as far as something in that price range, but it's hard to find something like that thats gonna last and be a solid all-around bike for a few years. I guess I don't want to get him into something low end that he'll just want to ditch and replace by next year, yah know?

my original hope, and his i think, was to hit about the 2000$ price point, and my goal was to find something used, or to build up a combination of used/clearance hardware at the price, then when i checked with the local shop they said they could do a complete build for 2500+tax... and it just seemed to be a better choice... I guess maybe i am open to other suggestions then for something in the 1000$ range that could be ridden on trails, and taken to whistler... thoughts?

thanks for the input everyone!

EDIT* : I also wanted to mention that he's been riding bikes for long time, used to bmx and commutes frequently on his road bike. He's 25 and works full time and, like me, appreciates quality. So it's not necessarily a situation like a young kid just trying to kid a cheap bike to thrash, ya know? He still wants to get something high quality. Not that you can't find high quality for used, but a used BR is gonna be 1700$ minimum, so i guess that's where the decision has come from: If you were set on a bottlerocket and had the choice between a used setup for 1700-2000 or brand new for 2700$, what would you do and why...:)

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
What's the build spec on the used bike?
I'd go used for a first bike. Better build spec most likely, bike will be thrashed during the learning curve, and in a years time he'll know more about what he likes/needs in a bike, and will get more return on his investment reselling a used bike when he figures it out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If he wants to be able to climb and stuff with this bike; have him try out riding a BRocket. I wasn't a fan of the BRockets climbing; it's a hell of a bike for what it's made to do, but climbing was not that. Have him look at a Preston or even another brand.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Go for the Transition with the Deity bars, 36 and DHX Air.

The other bike has Swinger, and a 66VF, both iffy parts in my opinion.

The extra $300 is well worth it for the price of the fork, shock, and other misc. bits.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Unless I somehow become incredibly wealthy I'm probably never going to buy new, whether it's cars or bikes. The way both of these things depreciate, buying new just makes little to no sense to me.

I would, however, try as much as possible to buy from local sellers who you can meet in person to check out the bike. You can avoid getting scammed by both fake sellers and sellers trying to hand off a beat-to-hell bike by staying local and only doing meetups.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
yomattyo said:
i do see what your saying for sure though as far as something in that price range, but it's hard to find something like that thats gonna last and be a solid all-around bike for a few years. I guess I don't want to get him into something low end that he'll just want to ditch and replace by next year, yah know? :)
this is why you do it.....you buy a used bike and thrash it while you are learning....then you sell it for around same price and then use the money you saved plus the cash from selling the used bike and get a great bike that isn't messed up while you were learning.....

I wanted a 5000 dollar foes and had 6 G's to spend. I ended up buying my Big hit for 1800....I rode it 2 years and sold it for 1600....then spent 3000 putting together my recoil....I still saved 2000 because the foes wasn't to my liking (still a great bike)....he might not even want a bottle rocket in a year...

Bottom line.....2000 dollars is a lot of money....you can get a good used bike for 700 to 1000....save your cash.....there are great deals on used bikes because a lot of people buy high end stuff then don't use it and then they sell it cheap...happens with all sports gear

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I sold a really highend BR for $2000USD. It was totally custom with X.0 drive train, XT cranks, custom tuned RomicDD, MTX rims, DTswiss 440, 10mm alloy thru axle, 1.5 Lyric Air, Thomson bits, Mags with Dangerboy Levers... yada yada yada. Weighing in under 38lbs with 2.5 DH tires. When I posted and sold I had seriously only used it a few times. What I am really sad about is that I sold it with my green Interbike edition stem cap.

At $1700 for the one bike... I would for-go or offer $400less for it, no more. The other is pretty good... but not the best. Offer $1700 USD shipped (just over 2000 Cnd) for it.

I'm with SMT about buying used in his case. I thought I had converted a bro to FR/DH, after he broke his shoulder, he has not touched his bike... and now has it posted for sale. Also my appetite for riding has changed... as does anyone who rides frequently. Who knows what he will want to ride in a year?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Used bike for sure. Hell, I just built up a 2006 Norco Six with almost all used parts for around $1k, but it is a custom build with the exact parts I wanted (Lyric U-turn, Code Fives, 832 on Hadley rear with 819 on Hope pro II front). I got the frame, seatpost, seat, and DHX 3.0 for $375 shipped. Buying new is just not worth it for me, but hell, I'm a poor college student...so I do what I can.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay, so i think the used thing is sounding more and more appealing, even though the guy at the shop offered to do the new build for 2500$ out the door (i might buy it for my wife...hah)

so my question is, where are you guys finding these deals for frame, shock blah blah for 400$? I keep trying to find the deals, been looking for a few months and haven't found anything in that range thats worth buying, at least for this purpose

and no, it's not "E-hype" that has brought the BR up... it's prolly more my hype. I ride a preston, and love it and he wants something that can be used as a do-anything, anytime sort of ride, with an emphasis on gravity riding over trail riding for sure....the BR just fits that bill really well in my opinion and from the countless hours of forum browsing i've done. I was going to get one for my ride as well, but i'm 6'1 and after a lot of digging figured out the preston has very similar geometry, but a longer seat post so it's better for taller guys for pedaling...

anyway, any other recomendations for that type of bike that you could find used for 300 bucks?

thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yah, i've been lookin' there... and btw, i'm pretty sure thats 1000$ for a frame with headset, so tack on the rest of the build and your back up to where i was figuring...i just emailed him though to see if it was for the complete... cuz that'd be perfect!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.