Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
richieb said:
I believe AMPs has 1 1/8 head tubes...

rb
I know. It will have to be reduced with Problem Solvers headset reducers or a King Devolution.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
zanq said:
As soon as I finish other nagging chores and small projects around the house, I'll move on to this:
Nice score. That should be fun. I think you should go with an Amp fork. They just look right together.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy named SSue said:
I think you should go with an Amp fork.
I'll keep my eyes open for one, but the main goal was to get a cool frame to build up with the box'o'parts I have laying around.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Nice!

AMP Research is, of course, alive and well, but not making bikes anymore. I stopped by their happy hour at the SEMA show in Las Vegas while there for work and they had a few bikes on display. I was as excited to see the bikes as the car-related items. My coworkers don't always understand this... :)

I saw Horst Leitner across the room, but didn't get to meet him before we had to run for dinner.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on the pic from the auction, it looks like the decals are missing from the frame. I contacted Amp Research and they no longer have decal kits. If I were able to find the specs of decals for this frame, does anyone know of a decal printer that would take on such a challenge and not make me buy 250-1000 prints?

I'm also interested to see pics of Amp frames (specifically B3, but others are nice too), to see how they were built up and aid me during my build. I found this from First Flight Bikes (earlier than my frame):

https://www.firstflightbikes.com/Amp.htm

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've got a bunch of early 90s AMP stickers lying around at my parents' place. Not frame stickers, but the promo ones they used to supply with forks. I might have a half-dozen. If you want some, let me know and I'll grab them over the holidays.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
I had pondered bidding on that frame myself as it'd only be 2 hours of driving to pick it up had I won.

But... I really don't need yet ANOTHER Amp B-3, its also smaller than the size I ride, and if I wanted an 18", I know of a near mint Mongoose Amplifier I could probably persuade a friend to sell me.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
zanq said:
Based on the pic from the auction, it looks like the decals are missing from the frame. I contacted Amp Research and they no longer have decal kits. If I were able to find the specs of decals for this frame, does anyone know of a decal printer that would take on such a challenge and not make me buy 250-1000 prints?

I'm also interested to see pics of Amp frames (specifically B3, but others are nice too), to see how they were built up and aid me during my build. I found this from First Flight Bikes (earlier than my frame):

https://www.firstflightbikes.com/Amp.htm

Check with Shiggy. He has a sticker/vinyl business, and would likely be up for a challenge.

He's a moderator on the Singlespeed forum.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update!!!!

I've been slow to move forward on this project but I'm getting close now! Here are some pics.......

Before

Rear triangle removed

Started sanding and realized that this frame may have been powdercoated before, so I turned to Airplane Stripper

Where I currently stand

I need to mask everything off and it will be getting a nice coat of a satin/flat black finish. The rear triangle will remain polished. More pics to come as progress is made......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts