Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed Lupine is now making a new version of their Betty light, the Betty 14 and Betty 7. The new Betty is bumped up to 23 watts 1500 lumens. I don't think you could really tell the difference from the old version;s output to this, but if you are considering buying a Betty, you should try to get the latest version. This is what the main page at the Lupine site reads.

"2008-06-18
Betty update

Today we released the final autumn 2008 version with increased battery capacity and lightoutput. Betty is well prepared for the new light season and there will be no more feature changes."

·
Banned
344 Posts
Yes, the Betty Just got bumped up to 1500 lumens, from 1400. The extra 100L really won't be noticed by the human eye.

Also the batteries got a little bigger. The 6.8ah is now 7.5, and the 13.8 is now 14.5...

·
Banned
344 Posts
Turveyd said:
Was it 6 and 12 then before ?? not worth the hassle but they do have to stay competitive.
Yeah, they were 6 and 12... Just shows that Lupine is always trying to find new ways to make they're stuff even better.

Keep an eye out for some new stuff soon...:winker:

·
Registered
681 Posts
yes i saw that one, basicallly wilma 6 without the remot on/off switch..........the lupine lights are clearly the most expensive, they look cool and stuff , is it the exchange rate that fuels the higher price ???

also, 4-7 led lights must generate alot more heat, and led brightness degrades with heat, i have had a dinotte 600l temp alarm off while sitting still on my bike chatting after about 3-5 minutes, how well do the lupines deal with this issue ??

·
Banned
344 Posts
suvowner said:
yes i saw that one, basicallly wilma 6 without the remot on/off switch..........the lupine lights are clearly the most expensive, they look cool and stuff , is it the exchange rate that fuels the higher price ???

also, 4-7 led lights must generate alot more heat, and led brightness degrades with heat, i have had a dinotte 600l temp alarm off while sitting still on my bike chatting after about 3-5 minutes, how well do the lupines deal with this issue ??
The exchange rate has a lot to do with it. Have you seen where the euro is compared to the dollar lately?

But really these things are not cheap to produce. They are hand made German lights, and from what I hear the custom designed Lupine optics they use on all the led lights are the biggest expense. No DIY light builder can get the optics they use.

Heat management is one of things that makes a Lupine what it is.
quoted from Lupine's site,

"Four of the best SSC LEDs are connected to a converter with an excellent efficiency degree and a current consumption of max 15W. Several temperature control circuits operate the maximum performance in an infinitely variable way. This elaborate system is very expensive to manufacture. The material of the casing needs to be heat resistant since there is no cooling element, the electronics need to be able to realise maximum performance without causing thermal problems. And we want our customers to use their lamps in the tropes and in norway. So designing Wilma needed Lupine's expertise and experience with other critical sources of light."

So about the new light with the remote mounted on the back of the housing. Lupine wouldn't release a light that didn't live up to they're expectations.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The exchange rate has a lot to do with it. Have you seen where the euro is compared to the dollar lately?

But really these things are not cheap to produce. They are hand made German lights, and from what I hear the custom designed Lupine optics they use on all the led lights are the biggest expense. No DIY light builder can get the optics they use.

Heat management is one of things that makes a Lupine what it is.
quoted from Lupine's site,

"Four of the best SSC LEDs are connected to a converter with an excellent efficiency degree and a current consumption of max 15W. Several temperature control circuits operate the maximum performance in an infinitely variable way. This elaborate system is very expensive to manufacture. The material of the casing needs to be heat resistant since there is no cooling element, the electronics need to be able to realise maximum performance without causing thermal problems. And we want our customers to use their lamps in the tropes and in norway. So designing Wilma needed Lupine's expertise and experience with other critical sources of light."

So about the new light with the remote mounted on the back of the housing. Lupine wouldn't release a light that didn't live up to they're expectations.
sounds cool.......what is the tropes ????

also, when will we know all of the new things from lupine for this year ??? anything else for the wilma 6 ??

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never had an issue with heat with my Betty 6 and Wilma 6 lights. If you are sitting idle and the lights are on high the lights will adjust themselves if they get too hot and dim as necessary. I've used the Betty at 40% while stationary and have not noticed it get very hot or dim and this is still putting out over 500 lumens at 40% so it give you plenty of light to work with.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry but this is just a load of marketing BS. For an EE the LED driver is really an easy thing to develop.

·
Banned
344 Posts
suvowner said:
sounds cool.......what is the tropes ????

also, when will we know all of the new things from lupine for this year ??? anything else for the wilma 6 ??
Sometimes the translation gets lost going from german to english. But I think the "tropes" might mean the tropics... Not sure just a guess...

There will be an official press release about the new stuff when it's all ready.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.