·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
How worn were your pads when you started this ride?

Go ahead and order up a set and report back.

They cost darn close to the same as Shimano finned metallic pads. You're spending same money and learning if the off-brand is worth of a Shimano replacement.

I don't think my M615 calipers with finned Shimano pads rattle. Even being held in only by cotter pin.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How worn were your pads when you started this ride?
Go ahead and order up a set and report back.
They cost darn close to the same as Shimano finned metallic pads. You're spending same money and learning if the off-brand is worth of a Shimano replacement.
I don't think my M615 calipers with finned Shimano pads rattle. Even being held in only by cotter pin.
They were fairly new pads on a new bike bought in April. I'm just a heavy rider who grabbed too much brake on trails I wasn't ready for yet. If they cool better with all that surface area- they would be worth as much as Shimano.

no thanks, as it is I dislike the current finned (saint/zee) pads they rattle too much. Back to normal non-finned pads for me.
Never heard of the rattling issue- good input. Thanx.

It's probably a gimmick. Just get big rotors and good sintered pads.
I've got XT M8000 brakes with 180mm rotors. I just put on TruckerCo sintered pads last night and bled today.

·
Kick Start My Heart
624 Posts
These pads look like the transformers mated with a set of Shimano J04C pads. Are they better? Ive not heard of J04C as bad, so hard to say.
Smoked some resin pads? Check that your rotors aren't marked 'resin only' before you switch to metal, I just made that mistake, do it right the first time.
Please let's us know how these pads work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
since 4/10/2009
34,555 Posts
should probably also be on 4 pot brakes if you're riding at a dh park, too.

I agree that these things look pretty ridiculous. I get a tiny little bit of rattling on the finned metallic j04c pads on my m9000 brakes (with the threaded pin), but it's not horrible. I'd bet these monstrosities would make the pad rattle unbearable. That said, I've had no need for heat sink pads on Hayes Dominion brakes.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I wouldn't trust those off brand brakes to work as good or better than Shimano. Hard pass.

Might want to look into 203/180 rotors if you don't run that large already. Shimano finned or non finned in metallic will both do much better than organic.

I'm curious if Shimano is going to up their game on pads cooling and go from passive radiator cooling to more active heat pipe technology with a condenser. Similar to high end air coolers for cpu's.

Curious if adding these to the flat parts of calipers would aid in cooling like the finned pads. https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-He...t=&hvlocphy=9033271&hvtargid=pla-570573650528

Or https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113632151319

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I wouldn't trust those off brand brakes to work as good or better than Shimano. Hard pass.

Might want to look into 203/180 rotors if you don't run that large already. Shimano finned or non finned in metallic will both do much better than organic.

I'm curious if Shimano is going to up their game on pads cooling and go from passive radiator cooling to more active heat pipe technology with a condenser. Similar to high end air coolers for cpu's.

Curious if adding these to the flat parts of calipers would aid in cooling like the finned pads. https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-He...t=&hvlocphy=9033271&hvtargid=pla-570573650528

Or https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113632151319
It's hard to believe that they are going to need to increase the cooling capabilities of the system anymore. As it is, you can drag the 140mm Freezas/radiator pads/ceramic pistons down a long descent on a road bike and not overheat the system. Yeah, MTBs need a bit more, but the rotor size handles that in most cases.

TL;DR I've seen tons of regular stainless/FeC rotors cooked, but not Freezas.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's hard to believe that they are going to need to increase the cooling capabilities of the system anymore. As it is, you can drag the 140mm Freezas/radiator pads/ceramic pistons down a long descent on a road bike and not overheat the system. Yeah, MTBs need a bit more, but the rotor size handles that in most cases.

TL;DR I've seen tons of regular stainless/FeC rotors cooked, but not Freezas.
I drug Shimano M8000 organic brake pads down a ski slope/bike park with 952' of vertical. (180mm rotors) I lost braking power and had the rear lever pulled into the handle bars, cooked/black-purple rotor, and smelled the burnt pads at the bottom waiting for the chairlift. I see the need for better cooling especially weighing 250 pounds. I installed sintered pads since then. We'll see how they perform.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I drug Shimano M8000 organic brake pads down a ski slope/bike park with 952' of vertical. (180mm rotors) I lost braking power and had the rear lever pulled into the handle bars, cooked/black-purple rotor, and smelled the burnt pads at the bottom waiting for the chairlift. I see the need for better cooling especially weighing 250 pounds. I installed sintered pads since then. We'll see how they perform.
While better cooling might have helped, it's not the main problem. Discolored rotors are the norm at the bike park. You're trying to use organic pads in 2 pistons calipers. I can do run after run at Windrock with Code RSC calipers, sintered pads, 200mm Centerline rotors with no fade. That's with no snazzy cooling fins on the pads or rotors.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,555 Posts
if you're doing any sort of park riding on 180mm rotors and 2 pot calipers, regardless of the pads you use, you're going to have problems.

At 250lbs, you're a strong candidate for 4 piston brakes and at least a 200mm rotor up front. Shoot, I'm about 70lbs lighter than you, and I've got 4 piston brakes with metallic pads and 203/180 rotors on my hardtail.

I've got M9020 brakes on my full suspension fatbike with 203/180 rotors and sintered pads with the heat sinks and while I don't have fade problems with them, I do feel the limitations in power on big downhills.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I mix resin and semi metallic on my 2 pot xtr brakes with 203 rotors. Im about 185lbs and has been great on sustained downhill sections (cannell and pce for example). I have a few sets of pads left I'm selling for cheap on PB.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you're doing any sort of park riding on 180mm rotors and 2 pot calipers, regardless of the pads you use, you're going to have problems.

At 250lbs, you're a strong candidate for 4 piston brakes and at least a 200mm rotor up front. Shoot, I'm about 70lbs lighter than you, and I've got 4 piston brakes with metallic pads and 203/180 rotors on my hardtail.

I've got M9020 brakes on my full suspension fatbike with 203/180 rotors and sintered pads with the heat sinks and while I don't have fade problems with them, I do feel the limitations in power on big downhills.
It's only an occasional trip to the DH park. I may consider 203mm rotors but I'm not going to change the brakes any time soon since most of my riding is trail and enduro.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I think everyone needs to realize it's all bout how you ride.

An aggressive rider is going to be off the brakes much more often with an occasional heavy dab here and there.

A less experienced rider or someone riding on unfamiliar gnar is going to be on the brakes more often or most of the time at gravity parks.

Dragging brakes all the way down the hill is going to create a lot more heat and heat soak the brakes causing discoloration and fading.

I've seen people get by just fine doing top to bottom runs at Whistler (3-4k descents) on 2 pot brakes & 180 rotor's. They ride quickly and efficiently & only brake for corners.

I've seen my beginner friend color his brakes purple going down 700' on a blue/green trail locally. He's big & heavy and still pretty new. That's with 203/180mm rotors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.