Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin. He wants to put new V brakes on it when we change the brake cables etc.. What are some good V brakes without spending to much?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Would help to know what he's got now for calipers/levers now (specific model, not just brand), probably low end Avids from what I see on bikepedia. If he's looking for more performance might consider better levers (ones with adjustable leverage like the Avid Speed Dial adjustment) rather than calipers.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Well, given that those are pretty low end........how much has he got to spend? SD 7's are $20-30, SD 7 levers also about $20, give or take, you'd want to get compressionless housing for maxium boomage....putting new V's on with cheapie flexy housing won't do all that much for the wow-factor. Flak Jackets are around $35, you can find cheaper. $85 for the whole kit and kaboodle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked on the Gary Fisher site. According to that his bike right now has Avid SD3 linear pull brakes. So what would you suggest for new V brakes, cables etc?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
EEB said:
I checked on the Gary Fisher site. According to that his bike right now has Avid SD3 linear pull brakes. So what would you suggest for new V brakes, cables etc?
You can't look at his bike but only a website? How do you know if anything might have been swapped out or upgraded? Checked with what specs? Lever or caliper?

If the lever doesn't have the leverage adjust (aka Speed Dial adjustment), then look to new levers more than calipers. Do you know what a lever vs caliper in brakes are?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
You can't look at his bike but only a website? How do you know if anything might have been swapped out or upgraded? Checked with what specs? Lever or caliper?

If the lever doesn't have the leverage adjust (aka Speed Dial adjustment), then look to new levers more than calipers. Do you know what a lever vs caliper in brakes are?
His bike is at his apartment right now so I can't actually look at it. He plans on bringing it down in about two weeks so we can start working on it. I have a room in the basement with a work bench etc. I know his bike doesn't have any upgrades. He bought it brand new in 2006 and hasn't done one thing to it.

I know the difference between a lever vs caliper are. I don't know as much as some on this site but I'm not that dumb...:D

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
EEB said:
His bike is at his apartment right now so I can't actually look at it. He plans on bringing it down in about two weeks so we can start working on it. I have a room in the basement with a work bench etc. I know his bike doesn't have any upgrades. He bought it brand new in 2006 and hasn't done one thing to it.

I know the difference between a lever vs caliper are. I don't know as much as some on this site but I'm not that dumb...:D
That's nice, but doesn't mean the gear is exactly as you might expect. Changes are made by manufacturers or retailers (or even in between) to spec, too...they're not always recorded. GF's site for the 2006 Marlin "brakeset" does indicate Avid SD-3 but isn't really specific about levers vs calipers. Bikepedia has the 2006 model with SD-3 calipers but Tektro RS360A levers. Best for someone to look at the bike and specify rather than assume a particular spec based on model/year.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
EEB said:
A friend of mine has a 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin. He wants to put new V brakes on it when we change the brake cables etc.. What are some good V brakes without spending to much?
Since you have SD-3 brakes and Tektro levers...you might consider new Avid FR-5 or SD-7 levers, new top notch brake cables and housing, and top quality brake pads. The SD-3 brake arms are actually not bad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that is does have the Avid SD - 3's. We looked at the bike last summer when riding when he said about swapping some parts. I thought the levers were tektro but wasn't 100% sure. I do know that when he got his bike we looked at the 2006 Fisher catalog and online and all the specs matched what was on his bike. Same thing for my 2006 GF Hoo Koo E Koo....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.