Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
10101 - 10106 of 10106 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I'm Tragerti. I've Been a member for a while, I've just never introduced my self. Used to live in the Santa Cruz Mtns. Now live in nw Arkansas. I don't post very often. Usually just one or two lines. I have a question. How do you post in paragraph format? When i try to write a long post with paragraphs, when I preview what I typed, It gets all gets squished together and looks like a rant. How do I fix this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Greetings, Arch Stanton from Western, Mass, USA. Just joined the site. I have been riding since 1992 and i'm still riding the same bike, a 1993 Cannondale M500, a real old school hardtail. After about 30 years of pounding roots and rocks, I have finally decided to upgrade to a Trek Roscoe 8 with only front suspension, the bike will be in early next spring, very exited!! I have ridden all over New England, I used to live in Franconia, NH and that was the best riding ever. This winter I am stripping down the Cannondale and giving it a full restoration with new paint and giving the bike to my son. We started out riding anything we could get our bikes on back in the day, some trails were so technical we had to carry our bikes. We have ridden through knee deep mud and muck to swimming across rivers with our bikes. We have used our bikes for back-country fishing trips in the deep Maine wilderness and had to ride fast to out-run the heavy-biting deer flies. The past few years I have been away from the adventure only riding a few times a year. Now, for some reason, I am back into it in full force, riding 3-4 times a week. Now in my 50's, I am trying to take it a bit more careful, but somehow I still find myself bulling it up hills, pounding the roots and rocks and cranking through the technical stuff. I need to take it easy!! I didn't think I still had it in me, but like they stay....it's like riding a bike.....Lord bless!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greeting's!
From CA.

I currently have a 2005 Stump Jumper expert, I'm kind of new to MTB, Been going to the Santa Cruz trail's in CA every weekend for the last 3 - 4 months and really enjoy it every time!

Glad to be a part of this forum, Look's like there is lot's of great info here! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
1) Hi all, I'm "Shawn", a 35 yo guy from Scnadinavia trying to find some time for this new old hobby again after a long pause. I used to be a general weekend or sunday rider years ago, but then work, family, motorcycles, other hobbies etc happened and I kind of forgot the whole thing. Now this spring I sold my travel enduro motorcycle; had no time for epic rides as there are two kids and all that adult stuff :') and really soon figured out I need a two wheeled hobby. So I bought a used hardtail mtb and this seems to be even more fun than it used to be 15 years ago.
2.) When I have time, I head to the local trails for a spin. Riding where I live is pretty different from where many of you probably ride. There's practically no hills or mountains, it's really flat here. If you want to move, you gotta pedal. We have practically no built trails here, but we can ride wherever we want, and there's plenty of forest here. So if I have an hour or couple of hours, it takes me 5 min from my front door to be in the forest where I can drive wherever I want. There's mud, roots, rocks, huge puddles, cliffs, fallen trees etc, and the tracks are shared with dog poopers, joggers etc. But there's a lot of places to ride. I've been checking the mtb videos from youtube and being able to descend for more than a minute or riding in the desert feel super exotic to me. We have snow here usually for couple of months a year, so that also brings a twist to the hobby.
3.) How many bikes you own?
Two; I have a 29er hardtail for fun time and a cheap hybrid for moving from a place to another and running errands. I used to have a KTM street enduro motorcycle I really liked and made some epic trips on it.
4.) How long have you been riding?
I used to ride as a teenager; have never competed or anything like that, but I used to go and practice and exercise. Then there was a brief 15 year break and here I go again.

I'm an engineer, so I really enjoy the technical details and discussions about the geometry, tire compounds etc. Maybe a bit too much...

I don't ride fast, but I enjoy being able to clear a spot I thought I wouldn't be able to ride. It's not about speed, it's about having fun and exceeding yourself. I measure my riding in time, not distance.

I would love to give bikepacking a try, I used to do quite similar stuff on the motorcycle. Also would love to be able to ride somewhere with more altitude than here, to be able to descend for more than the previously mentioned minute which is actually more than is available here almost anywhere. Would also love to go to a nice place, set a camp, and spend the days riding and evening camping. Pretty much all of these are doable with a bit of organizing, so let's see...

Oh yes, and also would want to give a try to bike park and gravity driving. Not proper DH but to be able to moev without pedaling like a maniac :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey all,
I'm from Southcentral Alaska. I've been riding bikes pretty much my whole life, serious (ha!) about mountain biking for probably the last 8 years.
Probably more of a trail/xc rider I suppose, I prefer high tempo on the ups and downs and keeping consistent cardio, but have definitely been trying to improve my skills as far as jumps and drops. I'm new to building up my own bikes and doing my own wrenching, and only recently have gotten to the point where I can afford modern bicycles, so I like to think I'm constantly learning.
I currently own a 2021 Salsa Timberjack, 2021 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Ridley X-Fire, and the frame for a Sonder Camino that I'm building up over the winter.
I can sometimes be found in r/hardtailgang on Reddit, but MTBR has become my favorite mountain bike forum over the past couple of months. Folks on here are passionate about bikes and generally not rude to folks like me who are still learning the ropes of this whole "biking" thing.

10101 - 10106 of 10106 Posts