Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

10021 - 10040 of 10065 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, My name is Brian.
1. I'm from Russia but I was adopted and I now live in Kentucky I started living in Kentucky in 2005.
2. Beginner
3. Only one
4. for 4 weeks
5. General Discussion forum and Beginner's corner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, My name is Brian.
1. I'm from Russia but I was adopted and I now live in Kentucky I started living in Kentucky in 2005.
2. Beginner
3. Only one
4. for 4 weeks
5. General Discussion forum and Beginner's corner.
Sorry, put it twice by mistake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi My name is Marty, 1018 Kustoms is my hobby job name.
1.) I'm in Spring Hill KS, just south of Kansas City
2.) Been riding and collecting mostly Balloon tire bikes for 20 years
3.) How many bikes you own? to many, probably 120 <>
4.) How long have you been riding? 53 years
5.) What forums do you frequent most? General, Sale, Wanted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello all. jason- 42- out of shape- ex alcoholic -smoker- looking to get in better shape
so i made a decision to stop drinking and get back into shape somewhat- well at least try and lose the extra weight i put on drinking about a 12 pack a day for the last few years.
moving on-
picking up a trek mountain bike.
been taking laps around town the last week or so. trying to get moving- work= sit/ home = sit - which used to include sit and drink- anyway- thats where i am at today.
just a few 5-10 mile rides around town. no crazy mountain biking/ jumping/downhills etc. just laps around town to get used to breathing and riding/ changing gears etc.
think i would like to find a local trail and give it a shot. place i picked the bike up at- kid told me to try out 6 mile- he mentioned something about the lower part- and im guessing because i mentioned im new to this at my old fat age.
anyhow- question i have - if im even posting in the right spot - is -
will 6 mile be a good place to try?
do i need a helmet?
is there a low and high difference?? as in the new/ slow/ fat old man should stay at the bottom or out of the way??

first of many questions im sure. but ill start with what might be a dumb one.

thanks for any help

·
Snow Dog
3,772 Posts
hello all. jason- 42- out of shape- ex alcoholic -smoker- looking to get in better shape
so i made a decision to stop drinking and get back into shape somewhat- well at least try and lose the extra weight i put on drinking about a 12 pack a day for the last few years.
moving on-
picking up a trek mountain bike.
been taking laps around town the last week or so. trying to get moving- work= sit/ home = sit - which used to include sit and drink- anyway- thats where i am at today.
just a few 5-10 mile rides around town. no crazy mountain biking/ jumping/downhills etc. just laps around town to get used to breathing and riding/ changing gears etc.
think i would like to find a local trail and give it a shot. place i picked the bike up at- kid told me to try out 6 mile- he mentioned something about the lower part- and im guessing because i mentioned im new to this at my old fat age.
anyhow- question i have - if im even posting in the right spot - is -
will 6 mile be a good place to try?
do i need a helmet?
is there a low and high difference?? as in the new/ slow/ fat old man should stay at the bottom or out of the way??

first of many questions im sure. but ill start with what might be a dumb one.

thanks for any help
dude!!! you have made one of he best decisions you will ever make!!! Congrats!! Get rid of the alcohol chains!!!!!

About 9 years ago, I weighed 320, and was on the fast track to dark things. I did not drink or smoke, but food was/is my vice. Like you, I finally decided to get off my ass and do something about it. In 2 years, I lost 125 pounds due to getting back into riding and eating better. Then I had a heart attack 4 years ago (thanks to 40 years of crappy eating), and riding my bike has been my main recovery from that as well...

where do you live/ride?

A few pointers;
you need a helmet, no matter what. Don't mess with your head. In a few years, when you are healtier, and kicking it, you want you brain to be in one peice!!

make sure the bike has been properly fitted to you...the ONE THING that you will not be able to modify to make your ride more comfortable is the frame size...the store should be able to do this for you if it is a true bike shop...

in the beginning, don't ride so much, or beyond your physical capabilities that you lose excitement for the activity. I almost did this to myself

don't compare yourself to other riders, but in the same way, as you get better, it is cool to find some motivation in the way others ride

Be patient...I am roughly 10 years on the other side of my re-commitment to riding, and it has become my #2 sanity keeper behind playing drums/bass guitar. This is a great forum as well!!!

Reactions: diamondback1x9

·
Registered
4 Posts
dude!!! you have made one of he best decisions you will ever make!!! Congrats!! Get rid of the alcohol chains!!!!!

About 9 years ago, I weighed 320, and was on the fast track to dark things. I did not drink or smoke, but food was/is my vice. Like you, I finally decided to get off my ass and do something about it. In 2 years, I lost 125 pounds due to getting back into riding and eating better. Then I had a heart attack 4 years ago (thanks to 40 years of crappy eating), and riding my bike has been my main recovery from that as well...

where do you live/ride?

A few pointers;
you need a helmet, no matter what. Don't mess with your head. In a few years, when you are healtier, and kicking it, you want you brain to be in one peice!!

make sure the bike has been properly fitted to you...the ONE THING that you will not be able to modify to make your ride more comfortable is the frame size...the store should be able to do this for you if it is a true bike shop...

in the beginning, don't ride so much, or beyond your physical capabilities that you lose excitement for the activity. I almost did this to myself

don't compare yourself to other riders, but in the same way, as you get better, it is cool to find some motivation in the way others ride

Be patient...I am roughly 10 years on the other side of my re-commitment to riding, and it has become my #2 sanity keeper behind playing drums/bass guitar. This is a great forum as well!!!

im from jersey bud. awesome change you made man. completely awesome.
ive been taking 5-10 mile rides around town for now- daily of every other depending on work. trying to get used to moving again- i do smoke so thats part of the challenge for now. next on the list. but anyway. i will be taking a ride to a local state park soon to give the trails a try- jersey and its cold out now. but figure this way- im not out there in peoples way while they are shredding trails-

·
Snow Dog
3,772 Posts
im from jersey bud. awesome change you made man. completely awesome.
ive been taking 5-10 mile rides around town for now- daily of every other depending on work. trying to get used to moving again- i do smoke so thats part of the challenge for now. next on the list. but anyway. i will be taking a ride to a local state park soon to give the trails a try- jersey and its cold out now. but figure this way- im not out there in peoples way while they are shredding trails-
thanks!!

and yeah, take one thing at a time...I remember my dad quit drinking and smoking cold turkey on the same day, and it was rough for him...but now, almost 40 years afer that, he is in way better shape than he would have been in

I also ride more inthe winter b/c of not wanting to be in the good riders way...plus, I prefer the cold to the heat...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings

I'm Greg from NH/ME. Reside in the foothills of the Whites with supreme riding opportunities, literally right out my door.

I was an avid and consistent rider way back when, suppose I would say I'm an intermediate recreational rider, entered a few races for fun, back in the day and took part in a group ride in the Tetons a long while ago. I was just beginning to learn how to be a little crazy and aggressive, however I'm told that I am older now and my body may not be able to withstand the things it used to...we'll I guess we'll see about that!

Presently own about 1 and a half bikes. Still have my original Rockhopper (Comp?), bought it new, late 80's early 90"s maybe. Blue. Been stored and neglected but was my primary rider. Then bought a used Pro-Flex Animal when it was probably 3 or 4 years old, still have it but not ridden as much as the Rockhopper had been. The Pro-Flex is in pretty good shape and since I'm into vintage stuff, I will likely hold onto for a bit and may eventually want to sell it to the right person.

My third bike has yet to appear, partly why I like this forum...rode strong for 15 or 20 years, but haven't ridden seriously for about as many years. Work seems to take a toll on my time and energy as a self employed contractor, but can't let that stop ya from getting back into a passion you endear. Just over 60 now and its high time to get back into "funhood" while still fit and able, able being able to live with the aches and pains.

I'm closing in on a decision of a few bikes I'm considering to purchase (or I should say,order), in in which I'll mention in some of the ongoing threads or forums. I've been peaking at the Manufacturers forum, specific reviews, and the trails forum, since I've been presently working on constructing a network of singletrack on my property, have about two or three miles so far, (its been my covid pastime), thus chomping at the bit to get a new bike. Of course, the over the hill forum is likely to be my go to, since I guess "60 something" is something like that, but I have yet to be convinced.

The largest through back for me right now is that I've never even been on a full suspension bike, let alone anything with disc brakes! Rode a Trek once with fork suspension, but don't recall being any too excited about it.
The technology is another bit of a challenge and remarkably amazing, but I've taken some geometry classes in reading the spec sheets of various bikes. Specialized gives you a nice little refresher cheet-cheet to go by.
I try not to read into it too much and just know what I want to know, or should know for that matter.
Afterall, it is all about the ride and the fell, right?
As as it's said, like any other activity that's been absent for a while, "It's like riding a bike...."

I look forward to garnering more information and knowledge from this forum and thank you all for your great work and advice.
Gotta get back to some trial building.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just picked up a thrice ridden 2018 Suzi Q 50 with Tan Helgas and a dropper post. Got an amazing offer last week to sell my 2017 carbon Beargrease, wasn't expecting to find a replacement so quickly. I'm three weeks out from rotator cuff surgery, so it will be a while before I'm on the bike. What I'm reading excites me. Great looking bike as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all!
1.) California
2.) Intermediate, all mountain/trail
3.) 4, 2 mountain and 2 road
4.) Mountain biking for about 4 years
5.) Random, scan through new posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello all. I'm beginner and just bought my mtb. 29er and XC is my favorite. I will keep riding and hope you all safe and healthy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im KB, living in the Bay area in CA right now. I just picked up biking 3 months ago. I've always watched youtube videos and thought mtb looked fun so I finally caved and bought a specialized fuse just to figure it out and make sure I'd like it. 2.5 months and 120 miles later I found my niche and sold the Fuse, bought a Hightower and loving everything about it. I come from a motocross background so picking up MTB has been very easy. I have very good bike control, I know proper posture, technique, line picking, etc. so I've already advanced to more of a novice level I'd say. I still have a bit to learn, though. I really want to find and learn to do drops, and overcome my fear of jumping a pedal bike. Idk why, I can jump the hell out of a dirtbike but on a pedal bike I am very timid.

Look forward to learning all there is to learn about riding and maintenance and hope to catch some of you on trails. If anyone wants to meetup and ride around the bay area, feel free to shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi!

1) SE Michigan
2) I think I ride mostly XC/ Light Trail. I like to charge fast, and I'm not afraid of some minor rock gardens/roots/small drops and stuff, but I have no desire to jump. Wheels on the ground is fine with me.
3) I have two bikes, but only because I haven't sold my old one yet. Old bike is a 2015 Diamondback Sync'r that I'm keeping to introduce a couple friends to the sport. It's for sale soon. New bike is a 2021 Specialized Epic HT Comp. It's amazing.
4) I've been riding casually since 2017. In 2020 I ended up riding more than the previous three years combined, and I'm looking at doing even more this year and maybe trying a couple races.
5) I don't browse anything in particular. A little of everything...just trying to learn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Call me Dyrk
  1. Central Arkansas
  2. Chasing my kids on the wonderful trails of Arkansas after long hiatus (see below)
  3. & 4. Better answer is what Bikes I have owned and when
1992 Bridgestone MB3 in purple purchased from Moots Bike shop in Steamboat Springs with first tax return 1992First bike trip to Slickrock Moab (Stolen 1995)

1995 Marin Pine mountain. Switched ridged fork to Rock Shox Julia. Converted to SS in 2001 Still Own

1999 Klein Mantra first FS traded it for:

1999 Litespeed Ocoee? Titanium HT sold it for

2002 Santa Cruz Superlight 2 single pivot 100mm

Second pilgrimage to Moab

Third Pilgrimage to Moab. Broken Collar Bone on Poison Spider Trail

2005- Hiatus-Single Dad with no time to ride
Started riding with kiddos 2017 on the Santa Cruz

2020 SC super light Bike stollen!!!

Rented or Borrowed 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 2019 Pivot Mach4

In the market for New bike

5) 50+ forum is what got me here

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm from central Indy trying to get back into some "maintenance" biking - meaning maintaining myself by biking a little. My goal was always touring but after a couple failed solo trips (Alaska and Bosnia-Herzegovina) I gave up on that. I got rid of my last bike 2 years ago because I couldn't find anyone to go on a trip with me.
Bikes I have owned: Giant Sedona, Cannondale CAAD3, Cannondale T2000.
Came to the site to find some info on a low end mountain bike for me and the girlfriend mostly street use and maintained trails.
Really miss being on that bike!
Hoping to educate myself on frames, components, maintenance, and reviews on used bikes. Feel like I'm starting all over again. I've been looking at used bikes under $500.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
What's up, I am Matt

1.) Northeast USA
2.) Trail rider
3.) Currently 1
4.) Rode for 10 years before taking about 6 off recently, getting back into riding now.
5.) Man Forums used to be so much more of a thing. I will likely hang out here and the regional forums here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there I am newbie here and I am glad to be part of this amazing community and I think I can learn a lot from this community thanks for allowing me to be a member of this community.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Tony, it's awesome that you're 60+ and still riding! I hope to do the same when I'm your age. I visited WV decades ago and found it to be a beautiful place with all the foothills and foliage. Hope your foot feels better soon, brother.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi My name is Marty, 1018 Kustoms is my hobby job name.
1.) I'm in Spring Hill KS, just south of Kansas City
2.) Been riding and collecting mostly Balloon tire bikes for 20 years
3.) How many bikes you own? to many, probably 120 <>
4.) How long have you been riding? 53 years
5.) What forums do you frequent most? General, Sale, Wanted.
You have 120 bikes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey y'all, I'm Sean.

1) I'm from Denver
2) I'm an intermediate all-mountain rider (and commuter).
3) I just sold my old Rocky Mountain for a new Giant Trance X.
4) I've been riding since I was a teenager wandering the trails around the little flood control open space near my house.
5) I'm not much of a forum regular -- mostly just skim Reddit and various reviews sites!

I work as a personal injury lawyer between rides.

10021 - 10040 of 10065 Posts