Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

9981 - 10000 of 10027 Posts

·
Snow Dog
3,705 Posts
Hey everyone, just thought I'd drop in and say hello!

I started working on bikes in 1984 with my Mongoose California BMX, and then worked in a couple shops as a mechanic for the next 10 or so years. Sheesh, it sounds like I'm old! :) Anyway:

Hello!
Sweet!!! I still have, and ride, my 1988 Californian Pro when I am not on my MTB...my step son got me back into BMX years ago when he got interested...awesome mid life crisis to have!!!

·
Rippin da fAt
8,137 Posts
Hey everyone, just thought I'd drop in and say hello!

I started working on bikes in 1984 with my Mongoose California BMX, and then worked in a couple shops as a mechanic for the next 10 or so years. Sheesh, it sounds like I'm old! :) Anyway:

Hello!
The gray hair is a dead giveaway...;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

I'm one of those that has really gotten into cycling due to Covid. I had an old GT i-drive full suspension bike that I enjoyed for years, but never really rode it as much as I should have. I started joining group rides and it was a lot of bike to move around, and was brutally bad at climbing. My fitness level had also gone way downhill over the last 20 years. In June I purchased a 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe and it really transformed my love of cycling. I've ridden at least 75 miles per week every week since the end of June. My Kona has over 1,500 miles on it and it's a blast to rider.

In my exploration of the surrounding area, I kept seeing just how many mountain bike trails there are. A couple of my neighbors who I ride on the road with are big mountain bikers. They have loaned me some bikes and suffered through a few rides with me being woefully unfamiliar with modern mountain biking. Most importantly, I had a lot of fun. Being new to modern mountain biking I figured I would go back to what I am most familiar with back when I did most of my mountain biking: hardtail. Lighter, less expensive (which allows for better components) and will hopefully help teach me what kind of rider I am as I get into the sport more.

I just picked up a 2019 Commencal Meta HT Race that was basically unridden. I've taken it out on one very basic ride just to get a feel for it, and it's so much different than the old 26" hardtails I'm used to. The 29" wheels don't feel as nimble, and the wide handlebars feel a little awkward. In time I will get used to it. On the positive side, the 29" wheels rolls really nice, the tires seemingly provide unlimited traction, it climbs like a mountain goat, the big tires and front fork make it ride cushier than the old-school full suspension bikes I'm used to, dropper posts are amazing, and the bike really feels unbelievably natural descending at speed.

Looking forward to learning more from all of you about mountain biking!

1.) Where you are from? Bay Area
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Beginner
3.) How many bikes you own? 2
4.) How long have you been riding? 5 months after a 20 year hiatus
5.) What forums do you frequent most? Reddit , if that counts

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, checking in as a brand new mountain biker from Denver, Colorado. I was suffering from extreme FOMO and an opportunity arose to purchase a used Yeti SB95 at a heavy discount. I’ve done a bit of road cycling and some cyclocross, but I’ve only mountain biked once with some buddies; needless to say it only took that one time to hook me. Looking forward to learning a lot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here, just picked up a new MTB after a long hiatus

Hey everyone,

I always loved bikes- including a bunch of sport bikes (motorcycles) I tracked (although I've moved on and back to sports cars). I had three bikes stolen from me in college and shortly after (one from inside my house in college, one from inside my apt storage unit in college and one my roommate's idiot kid brother came over and left the garage door open a few years after college). It was a 3-4 year old, at the time, Fuel 80, which I absolutely loved.

Fast forward a decade to covid era, my knees became too old to run, my metabolism slowed down, I left my company and started own practice working twice the hours and opened a restaurant (I know) 2 months ago on top of that, so my waistline and general energy levels were depressing me.

I bought a Marlin 5 about a year ago and hated it. Rode it 15 miles or so and never road it again. Yesterday, I picked this up- about as close as I could get to my old Fuel 80.

I love 26ers. Nothing against 29ers, but I like riding around downtown, and having a playful bike I can just have fun with while getting some exercise in.

Not sure if it was a good deal or not at $800, but it's exactly what I wanted. It also looks like it's been ridden a total of 10 miles in its lifetime. I'll probably start tricking it out with some carbon and titanium bling after I ride it some more- mostly because it's fun to tinker and make it yours.

Only real question I have for now is: I never had hydraulic brakes. From my sport bike days, I just have too much muscle memory in the right side being front brake. I switched the brakes from left to right no problem, but they're upside down now. I seriously doubt it makes any difference as it should be a fluid that doesn't care, but JUST INCASE, I assume it's fine for now, right? I just need to buy the tools so I can pull the lines out (although, it feels pretty much exactly the same).

It looked like there is no way to swap the lines without opening the lines to atmosphere, but that was just looking at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, new(ish) member here:

I'm a strong intermediate/low advanced rider in Reno, NV who enjoys riding all the great singletrack and tech here in the Reno/Truckee/Tahoe area.

I'm riding a 2017 Santa Cruz Bronson Aluminum S Build; my other bikes are road - Specialized Roubaix Pro, Specialized Diverge Sport, Wabi fixed gear.

Favorite place to ride nearby has to be South Lake Tahoe, CA; favorite of all-time is definitely Hurricane, UT - especially Guac and Gooseberry.

Pretty new here and not too active on this or other online forums.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1.) I'm from Columbus, Ohio - however I've been living in Berlin, Germany for about 6 years now.

2.) I am a beginner, just got my first MTB a few weeks ago. It is a XC oriented AL Hardtail, I haven't done so much with it yet but decided to go tubeless and add a bikeyoke 160mm dropper. I have spent the last couple weeks doing minor rides around the nearby parks, mainly practicing basics of bike handling; trying to get a hang of wheelies and manuals first then moving on to more bike skills. Have managed to fall a few times doing wheelies haha, the cold weather isn't seeming to make it easier if I may make excuses for myself :)

3.) I have 3 bikes right now. The first one is a used beater cross bike that is on its last leg and basically barely functions haha but it is handy for using in the city occasionally especially since I don't care if it gets stolen really. My other bike, my first new bike purchase was made nearly 2 years ago and its a touring bike from a German direct sales brand, it was a good deal at 900 Euros shipped with an XT drivetrain and nice touring bits as well. Did a few bigger tours with 4 pannier bags on that thing, had a nasty wreck on that bike as well where I broke my collar bone and 2 ribs, my helmet saved it from being a truly life-changing or ending wreck though.

4.) Well since moving to Europe I have become something of an actual cyclist commuter, never would have done that back home but here it is pretty normal and the infrastructure is quite good for it in German cities. Since about 2 years touring and camping with the bike has become a hobby however since buying a Ford Transit Connect that whole big panniers and bike touring has gone out the window, hence the MTB now becoming my cycling interest.

5.) Right now I am not so involved in forums, I used to be very active on some automotive forums, was a bit of a subaru fanboy and was into autox and trackdays with my old STi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New member from Portugal

Hi, I'm Marco from Portugal. I've beed riding for 20 years mostly XC marathon and some rought tracks as well. I'm currently riding a brand new Scalpel 3 from 2021. I previously owned a 2017 Scalpel, so this has been an upgrade.
Nice to e-meet you all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
1.) here from San Diego, CA
2.) all mtn/trail rider
3.) own a few bikes. one good one
4.) 10 years
5.) been lurking here for a while. great content

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, I'm Marco from Portugal. I've beed riding for 20 years mostly XC marathon and some rought tracks as well. I'm currently riding a brand new Scalpel 3 from 2021. I previously owned a 2017 Scalpel, so this has been an upgrade.
Nice to e-meet you all!
Ola Marco, e boas-vindas!

Much more than that high school Portuguese will run out haha.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I've thought about this long and hard...the post ONLY works with the title.

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

9981 - 10000 of 10027 Posts