Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 10038 Posts

·
Dirt Rat
7 Posts
Hey all, I'm Tony from Valparaiso, IN. Avid bike fan, not so much a newbie but new to the forum. Been a roadie most of my life, but did own a Mongoose NX 8.3 at one time (sold it). Still have my Schwinn Paramount in all chrome 4130 chromoly, super sweet when it's polished. Recently, I talked about wanting to get another mountain bike for riding trails, gravel roads out where I live and hitting some trails/single track through the woods. So my daughters, with their limited funds from being college students, bought me a Mongoose XR Comp for Father's Day. It's a long way from my old NX 8.3, but nonetheless, I appreciated their effort and gift. I went from front to back, top to bottom, ensuring every bolt, nut, clamps, etc. was tight (since I don't trust a kid assembling a bike) and properly adjusted. I had some parts lying around the garage so I exchanged the rear 850 lb. spring for a 1250 lb. spring and tightened up the front fork, though not sure if it really made any difference. But for a guy in his 50's, the bike suits me and my riding style perfectly. Yeah...I know other brands are out there, but it was a surprise gift from my daughters and they were so proud to give it to me...so coming from them, it's the best bike I've owned! It's a keeper, but I know I will exchange parts from time to time to improve it, but I can't ever get rid of it.

Do they still put bar ends on the handlebars? I rarely see them.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Do they still put bar ends on the handlebars? I rarely see them.
Run what works for you!
We have a pro named Elbry Sandland, that rides for Mountain Cycle, that still uses bar ends for some races. He seems to like them for Enduro events, as it gives you multiple hand positions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im Kyle, 23 from Medford, Oregon.
I am a noob to the MTB world, I used to ride/race BMX but an injury stopped that.
I only have one bike a 2 hardtail.
I would call my self a casual rider looking into becoming more serious.

·
FTDS
2 Posts
Name's Phil "tube" living in Spokane Valley, WA
Getting faster taking chances/ Urban, XC, All Mountain, Trail rider
First 29er, Niner emd9
been riding for miles & miles
here for the knowledge and feedback, I've got a lot to learn!

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Name's Phil "tube" living in Spokane Valley, WA
Getting faster taking chances/ Urban, XC, All Mountain, Trail rider
First 29er, Niner emd9
been riding for miles & miles
here for the knowledge and feedback, I've got a lot to learn!
Be my padawan?

·
Registered
32 Posts
C Booty

Hi... Chad

I'm from Clarkston WA.. I like to ride anything that isn't paved. I currently ride a team zed k2 hardtail, but just ordered an Ellsworth evolve! Can't wait for it to get built!

·
Registered
41 Posts
1) My name is Mark, I'm in Sunrise, FL with my fiancé Amy, son Caiden, and a bun in the oven!
2) I am a weekend warrior/beginner, fiancé is a beginner, son is too young and rides a trailer (not on trails tho!)
3) 2 bikes, my 2011 trek/fisher wahoo, fiancé's 2011 trek skye s
4) I used to ride as cross training for track/cross country from 1999-2000, fell out after college, career (still working on lol, in air traffic control school now, and child) but getting back in for the last 2 months...
5) mostly on general, beginners, and trek forums, if I move up north to NH I'll frequent the downhill forum to learn what I can, really interested in downhill/freeride, but south FL is pretty flat.

Great forum, I've learned a lot, and appreciate the feedback i get, and try to learn as much as I can from the knowledgable people on board to excite the passion of mountain biking!

·
Registered
91 Posts
1.) James from the Austin, TX area
2.) I admit I'm not up on the subtle differences in XC vs. trail vs. all mountain, I just ride whatever trails I can as often as I can. Did my first race in about 18yrs this spring
3.) Right now just 2 - 97 Homegrown ht and C-dale R500 for the road
4.) Started riding around 1990 but took a number of years off after my kids were born
5.) Too new to have any favorites yet

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my first post...

1.) Where you are from? I'm living in Portland OR
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Recovering singlespeeder, grew up on BMX, race Cyclocross and some MTB races. I love riding my commuter the most.
3.) How many bikes you own? Uh like 7 ish.
4.) How long have you been riding? Always.
5.) What forums do you frequent most? First post here, so I guess here. I usually check in on the Velocipede Salon every so often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1.) I´m Raoul from Germany - I live in Eschweiler (Middle West)
2.) I am a Downhill Rider, but I like to do everything else, too ;)
3.) I own four bikes at the moment - all Marin Bikes.
4.) I ride since I can think, but the first real cycle was my first BMX when I was 4 years old - thats 26 years ago now :D
5.) I dont write that much and use mostly platforms in Europe, but as I will make holidays in CA in August I found this place to ask questions and get Information ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cheers all

Hi. My name is Mark.

1.) South-central Texas
2.) Love my singlespeed commuter bike (Soho S). Love my XC FS even more. I can't wait until they have a baby. I think I'm going to name it "Rig".
3.) Three bikes so far. Ye Olde GF Kai Tai, Trek Fuel EX8, Trek Soho S.
4.) Riding MTBs since '95 or so... skipped some years between. In retrospect that was a really dumb *ss thing to do. Get out there and riiiiide.
5.) I frequent this forum as of yesterday. Also electro-music.com... (techno/ambient/etc music making.) I'm more partial to listservs, but this bbs is really cool for the pics.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello All

Just checkin in as a newbie, although my main email would not work saying that I was already a member, so I have probably done this forum before years ago.

Mainly ride in Maryland
Build up my own bikes right now Dean Ace, selling my YBB, sold my single speed Specialized.
Been riding since 1998 actively when I made the switch from BMX (man those wheels look small now)
Considered goin 29er but "the boys" rested on the top bar of even the smallest framed 29ers at the bike shop, and I wasent feeling the girls frame idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whats up all, names Eric

1.) Where you are from? Canton, MI
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? I'm new as new can be, but want to get into trail riding.
3.) How many bikes you own? 1 hopefully by friday.
4.) How long have you been riding? Starting this saturday...
5.) What forums do you frequent most?
Yet to be determined

Friends have encouraged me to get into mountian biking, hardest thing about it is too many choices and not enough dineros.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi There ...

My first post responding to Gregg's questions

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share) Oslo, Norway
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...) - Beginner, but aspiring to more ... Like single track the most, but not enough time to do as much as I wish
3.) How many bikes you own? 3 - Jamis Exile (93 model - for winter biking), Jamis Hybrid, Rocky Mountain Vertex 30 ...
4.) How long have you been riding? Depends - since early 90s, but mostly winter/gravel
5.) What forums do you frequent most? Rocky Mountain Bikes , 29er forum (hoping to get an Altitude 29 this summer.

Regards,
Bjørn Petter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

My name is Stephen (Steve) from West Yorkshire UK

Thought I'd say hi, Ive not ridden for a long long time, about 15 years ago when I left school I remember pining for a MTB with Rock Shox , so now Im in my 30's Im re living my childhood

Ive just about finished building my tatty Kona Kikapu. Its built from what ever I could afford, but its a work in progress and it rides nice so Im quite happy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone :D
pleasure to be here.

1.) Where you are from? (Queens, NY)
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (beginner)
3.) How many bikes you own? (2 - cdal f4 and trek 7.2fx wsd)
4.) How long have you been riding? (just started)
5.) What forums do you frequent most? (legacygt.com head-fi.com)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there people!

1.) Where you are from? Caracas-Venezuela
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Not sooo beginner lol!
3.) How many bikes you own? Jamis Komodo I (my A/M,F/R Bike) and Merida MATTS 40D (XC, commuting bike)
4.) How long have you been riding? I ride since a was 12 and stop 7-8 years ago because a crash/injury and got back to ride less than a year ago
5.) What forums do you frequent most? This one from now on...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi MTBR

1.) Where you are from? Tustin CA
2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself. (weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider 2x3 times a week)
3.) How many bikes you own? 2
4.) How long have you been riding? 14 year

·
Registered
10 Posts
From Florence, SC
I'm kind of a weekend warrior, I ride 9 miles about 3 or 4 days a week.
Trail riding but not crazy aggressive.
Rode all my life on Wal-bikes, been out of it for about 7 years, just got back in to it and went to LBS and bought a Trek. Man, what a difference.
I got my whole family doing it.
Looking forward to all of your knowledge.

21 - 40 of 10038 Posts