Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking for a MTN Bike for a while and reading though this site, I finally picked up a Specialized after getting some advice from a buddy of mine who is a HUGE Specialized supporter. I mainly wanted something to use for excercise and a little fun since i haven't rode a bike in over 10 years. We starting looking on Craiglssit and ran across several hardrocks that had seen better days for the price until we found a 2002 Rockhopper that had been babied. My buddy picked it up in Florida and had it shipped to me. A local bike shop down there boxed it up inthe same boxes bikes are sent to them in and he was able to mail it to me.

Question--what tire pressure is recommended by you all? the bike is a 17" and i weight 155, it has Specialized Tires, not sure of exact type but they are trail tires.
Any suggestions for me on how to tune the bike myself vs. paying a shop to do it; that way i will know what to do and when to do it for myself.

Thanks for any help and i look forward to reading and learning more on this site

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi there, I am new too. 25 yr layoff from bikes and did pretty much what you did. As for the tires it would matter what surface you are riding on and to learn how to work on your own bike I suggest reading and asking questions here, and youtube has a wealth of videos. Whatever you do though, get several opinions and ways of doing something before jumping in.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Do your own work on your bike, using youtube.com videos and books.

Your tires are going to more than likely have a low and high tire pressure marked on them. Your going to want to put it somewhere in between. I ride at 45 pounds I weigh about 240 pounds. I ride wet, rocks, and roots.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Good luck with the bike. At your weight, you will probably run somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 35 PSI.

As far as maintainence, working on a bike is actually pretty simple. Check out the basic cleaning and maintainence sticky that is on this thread. I bought a book called Mountain Bike Maintainence by Mel Allwood and I pretty much learned how to do everything except for rebuilding suspension in that book. When it comes to suspension, even though I get the basic concepts of how it all works now and could probably figure it out, I normally let my LBS handle that stuff.

Another option is to take the basic bike maintainence class at REI (or something similar at another bike shop). They cost between 30 to 60 bucks but will teach you how to do all the basic tune-up stuff.

Have fun.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Like someone else said keep it within the recommended range. Otherwise, tire pressure depends on conditions. When traction is bad go to the lowers end, when it is good keep it higher. If you ride an extremely rocky area keep it higher to avoid pinch flats. When the trails are muddy stay home.

For other adjustments just experiment until you find what feels right to you.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Welcome , @ your weight you may be able to run in the 30 to 35 lb. range , it is largely dependent upon terrain and riding style . Good luck .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys--I set it at 50psi so far. I'm mainly gonna be riding on pavement and soem of road but no real trails at the moment. It has off road tires on it. I definitely want to do my own maintenance to learn the bike myself and hopefully learn how to true the wheels also. I'm looking for storage devices now for my garage. If you have any pics of what you guys are using, please post them. I know not to use hooks and hang the bike by the wheels.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
P Escobar said:
I was told it will throw the balance of the wheels off and you risk bending spokes easier. Am i wrong?
If the wheels cant take the weight of the bike how is it ever going to hold you? Hanging it by the wheels is perfectly fine for it.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
P Escobar said:
I was told it will throw the balance of the wheels off and you risk bending spokes easier. Am i wrong?
Dremer03 is right.....just watch your valve when/if you hang'em..

ps - I store 3 of my bikes hooked on the front wheel against a wall.....for the past 5 years absolutely zero problems ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok--thanks guys. Think i may actually look at some wall mount hooks to use holding it up by the bar so I can mount it close to the wall vs. vertically hanging hanging by the front wheel and to prevent it from beeing upside down for too long in case the Shock fluid is affecting by being upsaide down. I read a few post stating pro's/con's without any real final say.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
P Escobar said:
Ok--thanks guys. Think i may actually look at some wall mount hooks to use holding it up by the bar so I can mount it close to the wall vs. vertically hanging hanging by the front wheel and to prevent it from beeing upside down for too long in case the Shock fluid is affecting by being upsaide down. I read a few post stating pro's/con's without any real final say.
do a google search for this Stack-IT Two-Bike Floor to Ceiling Storage Rack, I think you might like how it works.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
P Escobar said:
The worst thing about hanging a bike upside down is if you have hydraulic brakes with some air in the system (which ideally you don't have), as the air will migrate to the brake caliper and cause mushy lever feel or no lever feel. For shocks it can be more beneficial than right side up. Here's what Fox recommends:

Storing the bicycle upside down and inverting the fork allows oil to run down to the foam rings and keeps them lubricated and ready for your next ride. .

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
OP think about this..... even though the bike was babied the tires are probably 8 years old. just be carefull dryrot is a b!tch! look for cracks in the sidewall. I am a fan of the S brand myself (whole company name witheld for legal reasons ........lol....) their tires even in a bike ridden everyday the sidewalls will develop cracks due to dryrot...... and their sidewalls are pretty thin to start with. if the bike has the tires Im thinking if (pattern like a tractor) I've seen the lugs "peel" off just be carefull on your first trail rides!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
thanks-- I dont think its the original set of tires since tread is good. the previous owner did ride the bieek and hit trails but the bike isnt beat up or anything. I'll look for that book also. Its also my first front suspension bike so the ride is def diff than previous bikes when i was a kid. Below is the actual bike..

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.