Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here it is my Urban Utility do it all SS bike project rolled out of my shop a few minutes ago. This will pull the trail-a-bike, run for grocerys, bomb the neighborhood and local park and be my back-up or loaner SS.

This thing is built to abuse, it is not real light, the chain weighs a pound and the crank would make a good anchor. I geared it a 36x18 which is a bit higher than I like for my trail bikes. The tires should be reasonably good for street or trail. I'll have to ride it some to see if I like the stem length, it's longer than I usually run, but this bike is a bit shorter in the top tube than my others. I tried to keep the budget pretty low, so I used scrounged parts from the take off bin at the LBS and Ebay, I think it came in around $700. The color is actually very red though it looks orange in some of the pics.

I'll break this in a bit around the SSSSS campground next weekend......still in the ankle imobilising boot thing :(

Attachments

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Very Nice

Hey that's a clean looking build. I see you got on of those half link chains on there. I've been wanting to check one of those out. Anyone know about the durability of them.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chain is strong.. heavy...somewhat expensive

noslogan said:
Are you bringing the IRO to the SSSSS?
And how much are those chains? :D
The Shadow Conspiracy Interlock chain is supposed to be like twice as strong in the plates and 5 times as strong in the pins (or vice versa). It was $28.99 at Dan's Comp. It weighs about 15-16 oz. It was a major pain to put on, you can't do it with a regular chain tool, it requires the park shop version made for 1/8 and 3/16 chains. I broke 3 pins of lesser Park tools before I gave up and went to the LBS. Every link is a half link which is kind of cool for set up.

Yes I will be bringing the Mia it to the single speed summit, unfortunately I won't be able to ride except around camp probably. My 29r will stay at home this trip.

·
pepito
640 Posts
i was just at the lbs yesterday checking out those tires. i kept thinking how they'd be the perfect around-town/grocery getter/rail-trail tire. let me know how you like them when you get some miles in.

the_dude

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2.3 K-Rads

jim-bob said:
Are those the 2.3" K-Rads? If so, where'd you find 'em? I've been happy with the 1.95" ones, but I wouldn't mind having a bit more meat on the rims.
I got mine at The Path in Tustin CA. I think they will ship if you are not local.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
cool rig!

congrats on another great SS, MM!
at least you are putting your non-riding time to good use as "cool-bike-building-time!" :D
looking forward to hearing your first ride (gimpy ride? ;) ) report after the sssssssss.

OGG

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, but it's really torturous

OneGearGuy said:
congrats on another great SS, MM!
at least you are putting your non-riding time to good use as "cool-bike-building-time!" :D
looking forward to hearing your first ride (gimpy ride? ;) ) report after the sssssssss.

OGG
It has been fun, and a good, time killing diversion, but it is starting to really get to me.
I have 6 nice singlespeeds sitting around the house, an FS geary, 2 road bikes and a fixie road bike and I can't ride any of them. I've actually built 6 bikes in the last 5 weeks while hobbling around with a cast and cane. I can't build any more until I sell a few.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might like them

SeamusCA said:
Matt,

Love that Mia.

I've got a case of BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome), and you and I are about the same size.

So, SSs to sell? Do tell?

Jim
I have 2 large, a medium and an XL that need homes. I'll PM you so I don't spam up the forum.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IRO disc wheelset

Gregzilla said:
Very, very sweet bike! Just curious, what hubs and rims did you use?

Greg
They are IRO disc SS cassette hubs which are laced to Velocity aeroheat rims, they seem to be a pretty solid budget wheelset. Time will tell on the durability, but I'm guessing they will be fine. They do have black spokes though, and while I won't admit to believing that black spokes are weaker..........every spoke I've ever broken JRA has been black. I built a set of wheels for another bike using the same hubs but Stainless DT Swiss spokes and Mavic rims.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't tell you yet.

bigmike13 said:
Not to hyjack . . . but how well do the k-rads handle trails. I have been looking for new tires for my SS that has been spending most of the time on the street
I have only pedaled the bike a few hundred yards around the neighborhood, because I currently have a broken ankle :( They are used pretty extensively in 24" and 20" sizes by BMXrs. I'm guessing they will be fast and fine on hardpack, not so sure about loose, or muddy trails. Somebody else probably knows way more than me.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
To help answer the K-Rad question, I've used them a fair amount on asphalt as I have on dirt. When I say dirt, I do mean hardpack dirt. A few small rocks are fine, but anything larger, it gets all slippy. On hardpack dirt, these suckers will roll pretty well. If anything, I think the deficit in these tires is on fresh, new, smooth road - the irony, I know. This past weekend, there were a couple of times when I seemed to skid my tires when I squeezed on the brakes, and this was most prevalent when I was roads that had just been smoothed over. When I'm going fast and turning a corner, I've felt it get a just little squirrelly on me.

Maybe over time, traction gets better as the tread starts to scrub off a bit, but for the time being, I think they're pretty OK for dual-purpose road and hardpack dirt tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.