Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/tech/features/mtbworlds08/DSC2856.jpg

Check out the new epic that Christophe Sauser won the worlds on!
8.6 kg in sauser's build,
Full carbon frame
Sub 3lb Specialized fork
BB30 bottom bracket!
Specialized carbon cranks.

Looks like Specialized is trying to tie the frame-fork-crankset together like they did with their road frames, which may be a good or bad thing. Actually now that Fox is making a 1 1/2 -> 1 1/8 fork and other manufacturers have BB30 cranks not such a big deal.

But damm 8.6kg for a 100mm fully? Damm, I already thought the epic was a really efficient race bike just heavy. Congrats to Sauser, but I'm sure that bike wasn't holding him back! Take that Scott Spark!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Tiffster said:
I'm not impressed with it, check out eliflaps scalpel which is 8.1kg

Now that's a nice bike !

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43429

Personally i think that Specialized in fact most specialized bikes look horrid. Terrible paint jobs and too many corporate logo's.
please dont tell me you said a bike that has a lefty on it looks good. i thought you were a cool guy.

i like specs graphics/paint, as long as we arn't talking about those fugly demos.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Big Smile !!

by looking at Sausers bike i had a big smile:

-the frame design reminds me of the Scott Spark with the position of the rear shock and the linkage ;)
-they have carbon dropouts and carbon bolt-on attachment for the front derailleur....just like Scott ;)
-from looking at his cassette it seems SUSI IS RUNNING MY TITANIUM CASSETTE !! now this makes me smile BIG TIME :) :)
-a weight-weenie bike getting the No.1 plate should make us proud. people telling you that such light bikes can't withstand the abuse now have to think twice.

by the way: This bike finally could be a cool one ! Specialized was lacking BIG time in the past years and it seems the competition was forcing them to revamp their old and heavy Epic design. congrats - well done ! now move over and do a nice HT frameset as well - thanks;)

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
nino said:

-the frame design reminds me of the Scott Spark with the position of the rear shock and the linkage ;)
-they have carbon dropouts and carbon bolt-on attachment for the front derailleur....just like Scott ;)
-from looking at his cassette it seems SUSI IS RUNNING MY TITANIUM CASSETTE !! now this makes me smile BIG TIME :) :)
-a weight-weenie bike getting the No.1 plate should make us proud. people telling you that such light bikes can't withstand the abuse now have to think twice.

by the way: This bike finally could be a cool one ! Specialized was lacking BIG time in the past years and it seems the competition was forcing them to revamp their old and heavy Epic design. congrats - well done ! now move over and do a nice HT frameset as well - thanks;)
Don't forget the BB30. I do have to say I think its cool that S keeps pursuing their "brain" technology.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
Don't forget the BB30. I do have to say I think its cool that S keeps pursuing their "brain" technology.
BB30 is a gimick to get us to buy more frames. Maybe a bit mor sense for AM and DH set-up, but XC?

First 31.8 now BB30...:skep: :madman:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Agreed, 31.8 for XC is a gimmick but BB30 is a step in the right direction. Longer bearing life, lighter cranksets, narrower q-factor and chainline. I struggle to see a negative. An ASR-C with BB30 is what I'm waiting for.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yup, just another gimmick...just like index shifting, cogs with more than 6 speeds, disc brakes, aluminum rims, suspension, folding tires.....the list goes on.
Do we really need any of these gimmicks?
We should all be riding the big clunkers they used to ride down the Repack.
In case you missed it...the above is sarcasm...but people used to groan about all of the above as gimmicks.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
the mayor said:
Yup, just another gimmick...just like index shifting, cogs with more than 6 speeds, disc brakes, aluminum rims, suspension, folding tires.....the list goes on.
Do we really need any of these gimmicks?
We should all be riding the big clunkers they used to ride down the Repack.
In case you missed it...the above is sarcasm...but people used to groan about all of the above as gimmicks.
Or 11 speed drivetrain right? :rolleyes:

Get real for once. Maybe the BB30 is better for AH, and DH. But true XC riding it's a bit of overkill.

How more narrow Q-Factor do we really need? Weight
s not that much lighter. Changing press-in bearing is not easy for home mechs.

Now if every frame from budget to top-level all decided to change over within a few years, then maybe. But you are going to have competing standards, again which is NOT good for the consumer. What about if Shimano goes with a new 32mm standard (rumor)?

Sure, go 30mm BB from here on out and anyone could always use an adapter to fit regular BB. Same with the new HT designs. Same crap, over and over and over.....

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Or 11 speed drivetrain right? :rolleyes:

Get real for once. Maybe the BB30 is better for AH, and DH. But true XC riding it's a bit of overkill.

How more narrow Q-Factor do we really need? Weight
s not that much lighter. Changing press-in bearing is not easy for home mechs.

Now if every frame from budget to top-level all decided to change over within a few years, then maybe. But you are going to have competing standards, again which is NOT good for the consumer. What about if Shimano goes with a new 32mm standard (rumor)?
yea campy 11-speed is crazy, but shimano has 13spd patented already.

outboards suck cuz you have to replace your bearings every other week from them having crappy seals, last year i went through 3 sets just on my race bike i rode 14 times! putting the bearings in the frame will help shield them from mud better.

and shimano, is dumb, doing their own 15mm front end even though its heavier JUST so they can be different and make more non-standard parts. it wouldnt suprise me if they do a crank thats a different standard with no benifit.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
To me, BB30 makes more sense on XC and road bikes than AM and freeride. A Hollowgram SL crankset is 605gr in 29/44 and 615gr in 22/32/44 with BB, all bolts. And it's stiffer than almost any crankset you can find. The only negative points before were the availability and cost but it's becoming a more common standard, Cannondale has been doing it for years but now there is Specialized, FSA, Truvative and more to come. And harder for home mechanics? We should be using screwed in headsets then. It's not that hard to install the pressed bearings, you can use a Park Home-mechanic bearing press, not too expensive or just make one yourself for a few bucks in the hardware store.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nino said:

Shock Position yes, but there were alot of bike that put the shock there before scott. And it looks more like a Rocky Mountain Element or Titus to me than a spark. Also the linkage is flipped. And the pivot locations are different. Scott spark isn't a true 4 bar link suspension (cue the suspension design argument)...

nino said:
Was wondering if that was your cassette... cool.

nino said:
I'd agree that dropping the weight on the epic is huge. My stumpjumper frame is almost as light as the old epics with 20mm more travel. This looks like a pretty kickass XC race bike. So you'll be switching back to specialized then Nino? ;)

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
bhsavery said:
I'd agree that dropping the weight on the epic is huge. My stumpjumper frame is almost as light as the old epics with 20mm more travel. This looks like a pretty kickass XC race bike. So you'll be switching back to specialized then Nino? ;)
But then again, the old Epic was a pig, heavy and not even stiff considering it's weight...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.