Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
This is my take on 'PB Mikes' down country XC bike .... a down country style hardtail ..... a step between a full suspension mountain bike like my Czar or Flux and a gravel bike
This makes a lot of sense to me. A couple of years ago I bought a used Kona Explosif partly as a back-up/spare but also for the kinda riding DT describes where there's plenty of road/gravel but then the "trail" sections you want more than a gravel bike. I freaking love it eh! My commute home from work is about 60:20:20 tarmac:gravel:singletrack and a bike like that is perfect. A ti frame is probably a lot more $$ than I want to (or could, more accurately) spend on my "other" bike, but the concept is a good one IMO.

·
Wicketed
600 Posts
This looks like it could be a fantastic bike! Last year I brazed up a steel frame with similar numbers/angles (67/74, 450 reach)- even a rear post-mount! However it has nowhere near the rear tyre clearance nor the supa-tukt chain stays of DT's new bike (425 vs 415) - okay it rides really well, but frame was 4.8lb and I've been wondering if anyone made a titanium version...

...plus I've been on various Turners since 2006 and found them all to be great for their intended purpose. This new Ti frame could be an absolute ripper on the right kind of trail - and a cool new evolution for the brand :thumbsup:

69185592-913B-4690-AFFD-1DA56E4EDC5D.jpg

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Looks awesome! I've got a gravel bike. My HT is FARRRR more fun for gravel riding.

The bros are going to absolutely roast that ST angle, though........but I call it spot on for the application.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've read through this thread and what am I missing?

It looks to me like DT got himself a new frame. I'm not getting any indication this is a new bike that will be sold by Turner.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,552 Posts
^ why would he post it online then come here and tell us all about it if it wasn't going to be a product they were going to offer?

·
Registered
672 Posts
^ why would he post it online then come here and tell us all about it if it wasn't going to be a product they were going to offer?
It looks and sounds like he hasn't even got it built up yet. How many bike companies spill the beans on a new product before they've even had a chance to throw a leg over it and test it?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,552 Posts
It looks and sounds like he hasn't even got it built up yet. How many bike companies spill the beans on a new product before they've even had a chance to throw a leg over it and test it?
IDK? Probably the same bike company that posts an online writeup with one massive block of text full of typos?

Frame is imported. double butted top tube, down tube and head tube. Chainstays are single butted and tapered. 29x2.5", Boost spacing. BB is T47, 73mm wide. Flat mount 160, as started by Noble Bikes. Geo with a 130 fork: 74SA, 66.8HTA, 415 CS, 12mm drops, 620ETT on medium, the head tube is a very common 44x56 . This is not supposed to be an 'enduro HT', there are plenty of those to choose from. This is my take on 'PB Mikes' down country XC bike. I live in suburban hell, with nothing but tiny pockets of dirt between large expanses of pavement. A gravel bike is my go to for most of my solo rides. But occasionally I will find myself way outside my comfort zone on a gravel bike, and although the Cyclosys makes it thru with brakes smoking and careful line choices, a down country style hardtail would allow for greater speed and more fun. Then back on pavement, lock the fork and toil on. I did not give much thought to 27.5 on this frame and I'll tell ya why. The primary advantage to using a 27.5 on the rear is to shorten the CS. Well at 415, this is plenty freakin short and I have the advantage of a 29" for rolling over ****. Going to a 275 the only way to get the roll over of a 29r back is to use a 275x2.8 or 3.0, and in a decent casing thickness, these are freakin HEAVY. I want a step between a full suspension mountain bike like my Czar or Flux and a gravel bike, not replace my Burner or Sultan. My plan for this is a fast feeling bike. Fast locked out on pavement and smooth dirt roads, and fast 'feeling' on the descents. I am well aware that full suspension bike can be faster on rough descents, but with a sub 12" BB and kinda slack HA this will give a lot of confidence. As for using the Holley automotive and CocaCola owned energy drink Nos art, I thought it looked cool and am pretty sure a proto frame isn't going to get me called into court.

·
Registered
672 Posts
IDK? Probably the same bike company that posts an online writeup with one massive block of text full of typos?
LOL, good one! Hard to argue with that but I'll give it a shot.

...This is my take on 'PB Mikes' down country XC bike. I live in suburban hell, with nothing but tiny pockets of dirt between large expanses of pavement. A gravel bike is my go to for most of my solo rides. But occasionally I will find myself way outside my comfort zone on a gravel bike, and although the Cyclosys makes it thru with brakes smoking and careful line choices, a down country style hardtail would allow for greater speed and more fun. Then back on pavement, lock the fork and toil on. I did not give much thought to 27.5 on this frame... I want a step between a full suspension mountain bike like my Czar or Flux and a gravel bike, not replace my Burner or Sultan. My plan for this is a fast feeling bike...
Sure sounds to me like this is a frame he had designed and fabricated to his personal specs and use profile and not something being targeted at the masses. I guess we'll eventually find out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So as much as I can appreciate the passion that Dave has for what his riding has evolved into, and also some nicely welded Ti, will we ever see any Turner FS bikes again? I’ve had a loving 5-yr relationship with my RFX, but it’s beat-up, has a cracked down-tube, and the price of upgrading components will basically be better spent on a new ride. And if I’m frank, I’ve tried a couple of slightly longer bikes and they felt pretty good (suspension was not Turner/DW good though). Do I need to start demoing the latest Ibis and Burmese Pivots to look for my next DW bike? Possibly also check out Revel and Esker also?

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So as much as I can appreciate the passion that Dave has for what his riding has evolved into, and also some nicely welded Ti, will we ever see any Turner FS bikes again? I’ve had a loving 5-yr relationship with my RFX, but it’s beat-up, has a cracked down-tube, and the price of upgrading components will basically be better spent on a new ride. And if I’m frank, I’ve tried a couple of slightly longer bikes and they felt pretty good (suspension was not Turner/DW good though). Do I need to start demoing the latest Ibis and Burmese Pivots to look for my next DW bike? Possibly also check out Revel and Esker also?
Yes.

Basically, lol. I loved my Burner, went over to a Cannondale Habit which was good but the rear suspension was nowhere near DW link so I got myself a Pivot Switchblade and now I’m finally happy again on an Ibis Ripley V4.

I’d love to see a nice lightweight alloy Turner again, but clearly it’s not happening...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep. The bottom line is, Turner in some form is alive (I ordered some parts recently), but nobody really knows what it is. What it isn't is a bike manufacturer stocking and/or selling new FS bikes on any sort of time frame that a buyer today should be planning around. If Turner shocks everyone and comes out with something, it will be a nice surprise. But, there's just nothing a buyer today can go off of.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Love it. I love tinkering and innovations. Excited to see where this goes. Yes. Something between the Cyclosys and a Czar or Flux. This looks like it could be great for bikepacking too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It’s great Dave is developing a new frame. He mentions a bike he wants for the area and riding he is doing. The Cyclosys is just pushing its abilities and a full suspension is to much. The design is around personal experience from his type of riding. A bespoke bike but he mentions “proto” which suggests once it’s dialled in more will follow.
Dave mentions full suspension “I want a step between a full suspension mountain bike like my Czar or Flux and a gravel bike, not replace my Burner or Sultan” but it just feels nostalgic (especially “Burner”) rather than present day. There’s no other mention about Turner production.
I think this is Dave saying he’s still around. The old Turner fs bikes are no more but he’s regrouping.His reply to this post seems like he is testing the water with the new proto frame. To remain independent he’s had to go a different route. The Turner company is now smaller and future bikes will be focussed on his preferences rather than the fashion.
I suspect Dave’s taken a bit of time out and decided there’s too much hassle with little reward trying to keep up with the Kardashians of the bike world.
I’ve got no evidence, purely guess work and what I may have done.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I totally get this, and I'll be looking to upgrade my Cyclosys when production models are out there!!!

Subscribed.

·
Wicketed
600 Posts
I hope your guesswork is correct skyerose, as that would be a pretty cool next chapter. It seems to fit in with the gist of DT's thinking from the few interviews I have seen over the years.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Not sure why but I kind of feel compelled to update this thread. I’ve just seen Turner post these on their Instagram stories.

·
Wicketed
600 Posts
I’ve just seen Turner post these on their Instagram stories.
Also, just seen a rigid singlespeed version up there: the "Ti Nitrous".

Looks good. Can't see sliding dropouts, so presumably takes EBB like the Cyclosis V1s can.

I used to have one of the Horst-link Nitrouses (Nitri?) back in the day, t'was a rapid bike.

:thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 51 Posts