Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Website also shows some Ti Gravel (allroad) and CX bikes available.

Doesn't surprise me that this is where Turner is going. The high end FS MTB market has become absolutely flooded since the Horst linkage went off patent. By flooded I mean there are lots of brands out there but no one can actually build many bikes right now due to severe component shortages.

The Ti Gravel looks really good but I really wish it could fit more than 37mm tires. 37mm for a gravel bike is pretty small these days. I ride 40's and would go even higher if my old bike could fit them.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The AllRoadTi is the 28-38mm tire gravel race, rough pavement or occasional CX model.

The Cyclosys is the 'gravel' bike you seek Porkchop. 700x48 or 650x52 Slacker HA, longer TT for shorter stem, and longer stays than the ARTi as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The AllRoadTi is the 28-38mm tire gravel race, rough pavement or occasional CX model.

The Cyclosys is the 'gravel' bike you seek Porkchop. 700x48 or 650x52 Slacker HA, longer TT for shorter stem, and longer stays than the ARTi as well.
Thanks for the clarification! Lots of new categories being thrown around these days and I always have associated the name Cyclosys with CX and CX has rules that limit tire width. Also some manufacturers such as Rene Herse now consider their "All Road" tires to go past 50mm. However, 48mm is more than enough for most riding in drop bars. I am heavier than the average rider so my sweet spot for gravel rides seems to be in the 38-40 mm width. I would go higher (42mm) but I have an older bike that I will replace soon that limits tire width. Will keep the Cyclosys in mind! Best of luck!

·
Registered
528 Posts
The hardtail is a great looking bike. The stays and dropouts look very nice and the geometry looks suitable for a wide range of use, including some racing if you're not dead set on having the lightest machine (but I would anticipate it being a smooth machine). Nice job!

·
Wicketed
600 Posts
That new Nitrous looks like a great frame. Love the dropouts, the flared seat-tube/BB junction, the 'plate' in the drive-side chainstay, allowing 2.6" (!) tyres even with 420mm stays, head-tube.....but most of all the geometry - angles, reach, stack and BB drop all just spot-on from my point of view.

I've been riding since the mid 90s so am vulnerable to a well executed ti hardtail, and get all misty eyed for them (Hei hei and Hummer back in the day). Chapeau, DT, chapeau! Hope this all works out for the Turner crew.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Had been in the market for a hardtail and the Nitrous really caught my interest so I ordered a large complete bike yesterday. I'll post back once I have it.
It will suck. I suggest you have it delivered to me so you don’t have to go through the pain. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
We're going to get a couple too. Probably fully rigid for what we want.

I already have a similar Ti + rigid set up. It's a my main commute and bad weather ride. That will be sold off.

Looking to the Nitrous for everyday duties and my Czar for special occasions.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
That Nitrous does look beautiful. Interesting that there isn’t a single speed dropout for this type of frame.

I realize SS is a niche market. For those of you who wouldn’t single speed and only run gears: would sliding dropouts make this frame much less desirable? Obviously would add a bit of weight, but I’m just curious.

As someone who has ridden hardtails geared and SS, this would have definitely been on my consideration list if it had sliders.

·
Registered
528 Posts
That Nitrous does look beautiful. Interesting that there isn’t a single speed dropout for this type of frame.

I realize SS is a niche market. For those of you who wouldn’t single speed and only run gears: would sliding dropouts make this frame much less desirable? Obviously would add a bit of weight, but I’m just curious.

As someone who has ridden hardtails geared and SS, this would have definitely been on my consideration list if it had sliders.
It would make it much less desirable for me - wouldn't buy it. The appeal of this frame are the details, one of those being the clean dropouts. If you want to run SS, you could get an eccentric bb (First Components look to make one to T47, but there may be others).

·
Registered
475 Posts
It would make it much less desirable for me - wouldn't buy it. The appeal of this frame are the details, one of those being the clean dropouts. If you want to run SS, you could get an eccentric bb (First Components look to make one to T47, but there may be others).
Totally fair. Turner must have made this calculation too.

And just as you have your preferences for clean dropouts, I prefer to not go the route of an eccentric bb for SS. Moot point anyway for me because I recently bought a Vassago Optimus ti (which is why I said “...would have been on my consideration list...”).

I still think it’s a beautiful frame. And as a native Southern Cal rider who used to lust after a Czar for an XC bike, I’m hoping Turner is successful with this pivot to titanium bikes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had been in the market for a hardtail and the Nitrous really caught my interest so I ordered a large complete bike yesterday. I'll post back once I have it.
Zvonler, my Czar was stolen in August, 2019. David was out of Czars so I replaced it with another brand. Saw the Nitrous a week ago and ordered a complete bike. Glad to see Turner is back and I’ve always wanted a ti bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Zvonler, my Czar was stolen in August, 2019. David was out of Czars so I replaced it with another brand. Saw the Nitrous a week ago and ordered a complete bike. Glad to see Turner is back and I’ve always wanted a ti bike.
Sorry for that loss, the thief probably didn't even know what they took. Emailed Turner last week and it sounds like end of February is the earliest mine might get to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thief probably sold it for less than the cost of the dropper post. End of February for the new Nitrous is good.

·
Registered
2 Posts

@turnerbikes - super cool of you to participate here. Makes me even more confident in my decision to purchase a frame. I hope you'll take the time to address my questions here.

I'm really undecided on which version and what size to go with. Curious what you recommend. I'm currently riding a size Medium/54 Jamis Renegade Escapade (the steel version), which I consider to be an adventure bike and probably overbuilt for what I need. I do shorter, faster gravel and hard pack dirt rides of less than 30 miles (chasing uphill KOMs). I'm not into bike packing and reserve singletrack for my MTB. Longer gravel races/events would be the exception not the rule for me. I'll do 200 KM, but not 200 miles. This all points me toward the ARTi.

However, I live and ride in the High Rockies, so occasionally find myself on rough terrain and very frequently on long steady fire road climbs. Also, I'm currently running 38mm Gravel Kings and G1s. I've never gone larger, but don't have any plans to go smaller. So, would the Cyclosys be a little better for me given my home geography?

As for size, the Medium Jamis is probably as large as I want to go. The medium ARTi and Cyclosys appear to be a smidge larger than the Jamis. But your Small sizing almost appears to be too small (my road bike is size Small Foundry Chilkoot which fits me surprisingly well). I'm 5'9" and weigh 150lbs, if it matters. I'm not aware of any odd proportionality of my limbs/torso/etc.

JAMIS GEO: Renegade® Escapade
FOUNDRY GEO: Chilkoot Frameset | Foundry Cycles

·
Wicketed
600 Posts
Rob-0,
It it helps your decision-making, I'm 5'9.5" and approx 155lb. I had a medium Cyclosis with a 90mm stem and an inline seatpost, and the fit was spot on for me. 40mm Ramblers or 38mm Steliacoombes. I even tried a 80mm stem on it initially and that was fine, didn't make it overly fast steering.
If you ever find yourself "on rough terrain" then it's better to have the option of bigger volume tyres I reckon. With the Cyclosis you can always go smaller if you want, but the Art-Ti limits how far up you go. I ran my Cyclosis sometimes as a road bike with 30mm tyres and mudguards through the UK winter. But it's the geometry that counts most, although if you're chasing KOMs uphill on gravel and hardback that's less of an issue I guess.
But, get some Turner Ti in your life, whichever way you decide to go (y)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Where are the rack mounts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rob-0,
It it helps your decision-making, I'm 5'9.5" and approx 155lb. I had a medium Cyclosis with a 90mm stem and an inline seatpost, and the fit was spot on for me. 40mm Ramblers or 38mm Steliacoombes. I even tried a 80mm stem on it initially and that was fine, didn't make it overly fast steering.
If you ever find yourself "on rough terrain" then it's better to have the option of bigger volume tyres I reckon. With the Cyclosis you can always go smaller if you want, but the Art-Ti limits how far up you go. I ran my Cyclosis sometimes as a road bike with 30mm tyres and mudguards through the UK winter. But it's the geometry that counts most, although if you're chasing KOMs uphill on gravel and hardback that's less of an issue I guess.
But, get some Turner Ti in your life, whichever way you decide to go (y)
This is helpful, Swan Lee. I'm leaning towards the Medium ARTi. I'm currently running a 90mm stem but with a 20mm setback post. I believe if I go with a zero setback post I should be in good position. And I'm chasing speed, so I just don't see myself going larger than 38mm very often.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts