Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 5 or so years we've built around 60 miles of new trail, most of it to recently-developed desert sustainability guidelines.

The biggest chunk of it is new Arizona Trail, one 27-mile piece that stretches from the Rincon Valley into the Santa Ritas. You can get more info and access point information at http://www.aztrail-build.org. My favorite piece is an out-and-back from Sahuarita Road to The Lakes Road because most of the return (5 miles) is a really nice mostly downhill. More challenging climbing (rewarded with great views as well as, or course, the descents) is on the 8.5 miles built north of existing trail in Oak Tree Canyon. (Those views could change substantially if the Rosemont Mine becomes reality.)

We've added a half-dozen or so miles to Tucson Mountain Park, not counting Robles Pass, which has trail under construction now.

A great intermediate ride is the recently completed Sweetwater Preserve Trails Park, which is northwest of Tucson.

More info on these trails, as well as scheduled rides, can be found at tucsonmtb.com and sdmb.org.

--mark

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
About 4 miles north of the Sahuarita Section is interstate-10 and trail stretching to just beyond Rincon Creek. The trail runs thru a rectangular tunnel under the freeway and climbs a canyon edge to Three Bridges, 2 of which are train tressles. Cross the road bridge and the trail continues just past the canyon edge. This is a pretty AZ Trail section, that climbs to a ridgetop and then runs thru Collosal Cave Park and it's camping area, where there's water spigots. Next 3 miles are lots of fun and some tech mainly descending a hillside to Pistol Hill Rd. From there's it's 3 more miles of trail to Rincon Creek, which flows all spring. Good dog run. Trail continues about 1/4 mile past the creek, for now.

·
sonoranbiker
503 Posts
I just went out today with Tim and a few others to ride the competed AZT through the Cienega Corridor, from Lakes Road to Rincon Wash (point-to-point with a car shuttle). What a fun stretch of trail! I think the total (with several miles of dirt road riding to get to the shuttle car) ended up being 32.5ish miles, with about 3000 feet of descent and 2000 feet of climbing.

Great job Mark and the rest of the trail crew!

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
I just rode sweetwater last weekend. It is way too short, but otherwise some really nice trail. Props to the crew for building this one. I'll have to check out the new additions to the AZT. Tucson mtbing just keeps getting better. Thanks for the great trails.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We only had 700 acres to work with, and needed to set aside some respite areas where deer and javelina et al could be undisturbed. But if you ride everything both directions it's more of a ride, and I have trouble deciding which direction is more fun on some trails, like Lost Arrow.

Or jump out the gate onto Blue Bonnet, then take Sweetwater and Kay T Drive to Cmo de Oeste, then into Tucson Mountain Park and ride to your heart's content.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.