Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
yohyatt
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my set up.

Flow's laced up with 2.35 nevegal dtc - non - ust front and 2.2 rubber queen ust rear.

The front took several hours to get the stans to stop coming out of the bead, which i heard isn't abnormal. rear didn't leak once. then i rode them both around the sf bay for about 100 miles and saw NO Stans coming out at all.

Then, this past weekend, I drive to Oakridge and when I get to the top of the Alpine trail, I noticed the front tire (nevegal) had stans leaking out of the bead for some reason.

BTW - it had held air previously (when not leaking around SF trails) - ans didn't loose any air over the past 2 weeks. I even rode in Auburn - approxiamately at 3k feet elevation - so i don't know why alpine - 4800 feet - there would be a problem. not sure if anyone has experienced this problem before at elevation.

Wanna get this hashed out before i go to 8k next weekend...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
yohyat said:
So here's my set up.

Flow's laced up with 2.35 nevegal dtc - non - ust front and 2.2 rubber queen ust rear.

The front took several hours to get the stans to stop coming out of the bead, which i heard isn't abnormal. rear didn't leak once. then i rode them both around the sf bay for about 100 miles and saw NO Stans coming out at all.

Then, this past weekend, I drive to Oakridge and when I get to the top of the Alpine trail, I noticed the front tire (nevegal) had stans leaking out of the bead for some reason.

BTW - it had held air previously (when not leaking around SF trails) - ans didn't loose any air over the past 2 weeks. I even rode in Auburn - approxiamately at 3k feet elevation - so i don't know why alpine - 4800 feet - there would be a problem. not sure if anyone has experienced this problem before at elevation.

Wanna get this hashed out before i go to 8k next weekend...
Crap shoot.

Tubes are reliable.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Hmmmm, let's see. Non UST tire leaking, UST tire is OK.

Hmmmm, I wonder what it could be????????????????????????

< FACEPALM />

·
yohyatt
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I thought

That with stans rims you would be able to run a non ust tire tubeless. I hear of pkeple doing it all the time. I am running about 22 psi in the front. 25 in the rear. It sucks that the ust nevegal is around 1100 grams. Maybe I should just us a tube in the front since I rarely get flats up front.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just run the UST version. I'm 240 with gear and run 26-28 psi with no problems. The USTs are virtually bomb proof.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
yohyat said:
That with stans rims you would be able to run a non ust tire tubeless. I hear of pkeple doing it all the time. I am running about 22 psi in the front. 25 in the rear. It sucks that the ust nevegal is around 1100 grams. Maybe I should just us a tube in the front since I rarely get flats up front.
I would try running around 30 psi in the front......the added pressure should help seal the bead........after a few rides you could lower your pressure back to your prefered pressure....

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
You aren't running enough pressure in the front IMO. My 29 x 2.25 Nevegal sealed up awesome, without so much as a drop of sealant on the outside of the rim or tire. Pump the tire up to something like 35ish PSI to seat the bead and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Maybe try a "tubeless ready" tire. It'll have a better bead, but still be light. I don't know if Kenda makes them, but WTB and Specialized do.

·
yohyatt
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stans says ok

I guess I forgot to mention that I did have the tire pumped up to 35 psi for a few days to get it seated. that worked - didn't leak. it was 2 weeks later when i noticed the stans coming out.

So i called them today and they said that i was the first one to mention the altitude thing - soi don't think it was that. they guy did say that nevegals sometimes need to have the stans rubbed on the bead since they are so pourous. never thought of that...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
yohyat said:
I guess I forgot to mention that I did have the tire pumped up to 35 psi for a few days to get it seated. that worked - didn't leak. it was 2 weeks later when i noticed the stans coming out.

So i called them today and they said that i was the first one to mention the altitude thing - soi don't think it was that. they guy did say that nevegals sometimes need to have the stans rubbed on the bead since they are so pourous. never thought of that...
Why would you rub sealant on the bead if the casing is porous? The bead of a proper tubeless setup, even tubeless ready, seals without sealant

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
yohyat said:
You would rub stans on a non ust nevegal since the non ust bead is so porous......
I doubt the bead is porous. More like the tire bead shape is irregular (normal for a standard tire) and does not match the shape of the rim bead well. Not designed to be airtight against the rim without the use of an inner tube.

·
Registered
145 Posts
shiggy said:
I doubt the bead is porous. More like the tire bead shape is irregular (normal for a standard tire) and does not match the shape of the rim bead well. Not designed to be airtight against the rim without the use of an inner tube.
Like Shiggy says. When I dismount a tire there's always a Stans build-up around the bead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts