Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did tubeless setup on rear wheel today. it appeared to be fully seated with no leaks. pumped to ~40psi and mounted to bike which was raised on work stand in garage. 2 hours later...boom! and tire blew completely off the rim. temps have been in the 70's all that time. psi reading is from my floor hand pump. but i know it is reasonably accurate.
i am thinking to go ahead and go through the motions again. but i have to say that this has shaken my confidence that one of these tires is not going to blow at the worst possible time.

Question: Am i being paranoid/overly concerned? I have been tubeless for a lot of years with never any problems.

From the 2019 Marin RZ2 spec sheet:
"Rims: Marin Aluminium Double Wall, 29mm Inner, Pinned Joint, Disc Specific, Tubeless Compatible."
"Tyres: Vee Tire, Crown Gem 29x2.3", Dual Control Compound, Folding Bead, Tubeless Compatible"
From Vee Tire website specs: "RECOMMENDED PRESSURE 22.5-50 PSI (1.6-3.5bar)".

i set up the front and rear for tubeless. using the same procedure for each...remove wheel from bike....remove tire and tube....remove installed rim strip....clean thoroughly with alcohol....dry....one round of Stans rim tape, overlapping stem hole about 8" each side....insert new Stans stem...remount tire...add Stans no-leak...inflate until bead is seated..pop pop!....spray down both sides with soapy water to check for escaping air....wiggle wheel about until all appears sealed...mount tire on bike and pump up to 40psi. leave at 40psi for several hours...rotating occasionally....generally, if pressure holds after that time, i say things are good to go ride after reducing the psi.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tires either never blow off a rim, or they're bad. If two tires blow off the same rim, its probably the rim (and that tire is now bad too).
Interesting. and now i know. Thank you. the ardent has been on and holding air for half an hour or so. i think that it will be good.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,168 Posts
I'd chalk in up to a freak occurrence

Also, I don't think you need to go to 40. I go to about 30 on 27.5 tires. 40 on a 29er is pretty firm
Maybe he can swap wheels with you? ;)

I definitely have to go up to around 40 on most tires to fully seat them.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
Maybe he can swap wheels with you? ;)

I definitely have to go up to around 40 on most tires to fully seat them.
LOL! True that. This dude has the opposite problem as I

To seat a tire, sure, 40 PSI sounds about right. but then I shake, immediately back it off, stomp on the tire a bit, maybe ride it around the driveway. But I don't let it sit at high pressure too long - but, I agree that both tire and rim should be able to handle psi.

In any event, I've never personally had a tire blow off but I know friends who have

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,168 Posts
LOL! True that. This dude has the opposite problem as I

To seat a tire, sure, 40 PSI sounds about right. but then I shake, immediately back it off, stomp on the tire a bit, maybe ride it around the driveway. But I don't let it sit at high pressure too long - but, I agree that both tire and rim should be able to handle psi.

In any event, I've never personally had a tire blow off but I know friends who have
Yeah, I haven't had it happen since the old days of tubes and getting the tube caught in the bead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.