Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI...for those of you who are into this kind of thing, it looks like Truvativ is releasing a 180mm version of the Stylo triple for 2009. Pretty affordable too. For the last couple of years it seemed like the only 180mm cranks out there were SS without granny mounts, or higher-end Shimano and Raceface. Nice to know there's a budget alternative now. I've been combing fleabay and craigslist for the last couple of weeks looking for some old 180mm Turbine arms, but I think I'll snag a pair of these instead.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is there any discernible difference using cranks 5mm longer? Glad to have longer ones out there but wishing for 185 or 190

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
esXso said:
Is there any discernible difference using cranks 5mm longer? Glad to have longer ones out there but wishing for 185 or 190
It's slight but noticeable. I'm 6'5" and I'd actually go longer if I had choices beyond road cranks or boat anchor Profiles. 180 is an okay compromise between weight, leverage, and ground clearance, though.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
fat_weasel said:
FYI...for those of you who are into this kind of thing, it looks like Truvativ is releasing a 180mm version of the Stylo triple for 2009. Pretty affordable too. For the last couple of years it seemed like the only 180mm cranks out there were SS without granny mounts, or higher-end Shimano and Raceface. Nice to know there's a budget alternative now. I've been combing fleabay and craigslist for the last couple of weeks looking for some old 180mm Turbine arms, but I think I'll snag a pair of these instead.
Don't forget Middleburn. They come in 180mm as well. Duo is selling for $211 and the Triple for $277 at ChainreationCycles.com right now (thanks to the dollar over the pound conversion rate). Not high end price, not low end price - but more middle end pricing.

I just bought some 180mm Turbines and will either polish them myself or have them sandblasted and powder coated (or anodized) for my new JET 9.

BB

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
fat_weasel said:
FYI: SRAM has said for two years running that all their XC cranks were available in 180mm lengths, but they seem to be vaporware. Hmm.....maybe this time they mean it. :D

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guitar Ted said:
FYI: SRAM has said for two years running that all their XC cranks were available in 180mm lengths, but they seem to be vaporware. Hmm.....maybe this time they mean it. :D
Too true, but these are listed as in stock at Speedgoat and Universal Cycles. I know a few of the Truvativ guys, maybe they've actually been listening to my griping.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
fat_weasel said:
They are in stock at Quality BP.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Now we need the NOIR in 180 :D

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
Now we need the NOIR in 180 :D
Well, that's what I am talking about. SRAM claims it is already available in 180. They have for two years now. I did see 180mm Noir SS cranks somewhere once online and thought that remarkable. Otherwise the existence of these must be a well kept secret! :rolleyes:

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Well, that's what I am talking about. SRAM claims it is already available in 180. They have for two years now. I did see 180mm Noir SS cranks somewhere once online and thought that remarkable. Otherwise the existence of these must be a well kept secret! :rolleyes:
Right :thumbsup: Top Secret I say.

I did some searching a while back for something a bit lighter than my RF Turbines (which aren't that heavy) b/c I want the Turbines on my KM (35T SS Surly ring in 110 BCD - it's on my Christmas list).

No luck...maybe I'll go do a sit-in at the SRAM office in Colorado Springs.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts