Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on getting a small truck in the next few months. Heres what Im looking at.
Toyota Truck under 80k miles (prerunner, tacoma)
Ford Ranger Under 70k 99-07'
Nissan Frontier?
and possibly Mazda B serries 3000-4000
Im looking to sped under 9grand... any sugestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd go for the 'Yota too, even if it has more miles on it.
Both engines have nice low-end torque and they're built very well. And where else can you find an electric rear locker and clutch-start cancel switch?!

Sometimes you can find good deals with the 2.7 4-cylinder. It's a great engine--some people say it's stronger than the v-6.

Frontier would be my second choice but they're not the same animal. Drive 'em and see how they grab you. Definately spend more time driving than researching...it'll tell you more than anything.

The Mazda B's are Rangers with different skin, so save yourself the time.

Eric

·
Registered
185 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
Yeah I've been looking for a few weeks. There are alot of yotas' but all with like over 130k miles.... :madmax:
If the seller has all the paperwork and has done the routine service I wouldnt be too concerned.
My Runner has 147+ miles and the only thing I have had done other than oil changes was the timingbelt and hoses. They have the non-interference motor so you wont harm anything even if it did break. Ive been told w/ routine maintence you should get 300k miles.
I told myself wait until 2010 for another vehicle. These trucks are great!:thumbsup:

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think Im going to get a yota from all the stuff you guys have said and what I've heard from friends and family it sounds better than the Rangers and the Mazda B's, Will keep you updated on the search! Is it a good sign whn the engion is rebuild 60K+ miles ago?...

·
Registered
30 Posts
...That depends. Everyone has a different idea of what constitutes an engine rebuild. Try to find out who did it and what was done. I test-drove a truck that had a rebuilt engine and it was the worst-running engine I've ever driven!

The test drive will tell you a lot. Does it idle smoothly? Does it accellerate well? Is it quiet? Still pay attention to how many miles are on the chassis, and how the whole truck was cared for. If it needed an engine rebuild, it may have a rough history.

On the other hand, some trucks have factory engine defects that require a rebuild earlier than normal. If it was a dealer engine swap, a crate swap from a reputable source (i.e. LC engineering or DOA or sometimes Jasper), or a re-assembly by a quality Toyota shop, you're probably okay.

Don't necessarily view a rebuilt engine as an advantage. Find out as much as you can about the truck and be extra observant when you test drive.

You can also try www.cars.com

Eric

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Im not going to be doing the test driving... I just have my permit. 1 month till lisence! My dad will be doing it probably unless the owner will let me (I highly doubt that) I sent the owner an email asking why was the engion rebuilt, how many miles are on the chassie etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had great luck with my Nissan Frontiers and you can get a used one for cheaper than a Tacoma. The 05+ models are amazing, but there's nothing wrong with the older ones, they're just not as big and powerful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.