Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo,

The other night I got to my favorite night ride trailhead only to realize I had left my battery on the bumper prior to leaving. I speedily headed back home only to find the leftovers of my battery spread over the intersection. It looked a grenade went off.

Soo, I like my Trinewt fine. It gives better light than my old storm that I used forever. I have replaced the tri battery once after a year of good reliable use.

Just curious what y'all think. Would you get the new $170-199 trinewt battery or spend more to get a newer/brighter light? Im willing to spend the coin for something SIGNIFIGANTLY better, but if its not that much better than 500 lumens (trinewt) why spend it.

I see that NR discontinued the Trinewt. Is this a reason to move on to something better?

Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
There is always something better so you have to choose what to buy or if you need it.
A Lupine Betty or a NR 1200 would be way better that what you have but do you need it?
on the other hand, a battery should last way more than 1 year IMO

Advice: if you like what you have keep it; once you jump on the "more lumens" bus there is no way back :thumbsup:

·
Goats Rule!
354 Posts
Every once in a while Trinewt batteries pop up on ebay for around $50-80. I'm still very fond of my Trinewt, even having a Pro1200.

There's a Trinewt select on ebay right now for $195 - for what you would pay for a battery, you can also get a charger, light head and case (whoo-hoo! a case! :p ) Yes, it's used though.

On the Trinewt/Minewt batteries, the connectors are the same. They connectors are different on the Minewt Mini USB.

If it were me and I were replacing a Trinewt battery at full retail, I'd get a Cygolite TridenX instead for $255 new.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Wow

Tbone said:
Sooo,

The other night I got to my favorite night ride trailhead only to realize I had left my battery on the bumper prior to leaving. I speedily headed back home only to find the leftovers of my battery spread over the intersection. It looked a grenade went off.

Soo, I like my Trinewt fine. It gives better light than my old storm that I used forever. I have replaced the tri battery once after a year of good reliable use.

Just curious what y'all think. Would you get the new $170-199 trinewt battery or spend more to get a newer/brighter light? Im willing to spend the coin for something SIGNIFIGANTLY better, but if its not that much better than 500 lumens (trinewt) why spend it.

I see that NR discontinued the Trinewt. Is this a reason to move on to something better?

Thanks for any opinions.
The battery is only good for a year? That light costs $200 a year to run? Sweet jumping Geebus on a pogo stick!!!

I mean, you don' run it down to zero and then charge it, do you? That stupid urban legend has been going around since the 80s, and is responsible for most of the dead batteries in the landfill.

I dunno... I guess its a paperweight without the battery, and you don't have the original battery to rebuild yourself... so I guess you're kinda stuck. A used good battery off Fleabay is probably your best bet... then sell it.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I would NOT spend $200 for just a battery. You could build a battery and driver combo for less than $100. Cut off those ShitLok connectors and go with something more common. Not to mention that you can buy two Magic Shines with beer money left over for $200.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Trinewt light and output 'sept one thing....the stupid idea of Niterider putting the driver/switch in the Battery housing. A new battery by itself might have cost about $50-$80 but without the driver/switch your scr**ed. I suppose you could find a suitable driver/switch and build your own housing but would be hard to do without good DIY skills. Unless your up to the DIY thing I say scrap the "Newt"and think about another light...one with the driver contained in the light head.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Well yeah, there is that

Homebrew said:
I would NOT spend $200 for just a battery. You could build a battery and driver combo for less than $100. Cut off those ShitLok connectors and go with something more common. Not to mention that you can buy two Magic Shines with beer money left over for $200.
I didn't wanna say that. I'm sure he already knows about the MS and how it smokes the TriNewt in its light throwing ability and runtime at 1/5th the cost, not to mention replacement batteries are $40.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

I need to clarify something. I forgot to mention the original Trinewt battery was replaced at no charge by PerformanceBike, where I purchased from.

Homebrew, I've not heard of the magicshine until you mentioned it. Does it have a solid beam or is there a spot? I found I really liked the newt's even beam without a spot.

FYI, I purchased a cygolite TridenX 600 and don't like it much. Feels cheap, the beam is really uneven. Its gotta go.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
It's pretty even

Tbone said:
Thanks for all the advice.

I need to clarify something. I forgot to mention the original Trinewt battery was replaced at no charge by PerformanceBike, where I purchased from.

Homebrew, I've not heard of the magicshine until you mentioned it. Does it have a solid beam or is there a spot? I found I really liked the newt's even beam without a spot.

FYI, I purchased a cygolite TridenX 600 and don't like it much. Feels cheap, the beam is really uneven. Its gotta go.
Its kinda in between a spot and flood... kind of a wide spot but had plenty of spill so you can see around the trail.

Excellent light, but has a couple of minor rubs I can live with, especially considering the price. Mainly, it cycles form high - mid - low - flash - SOS - off modes with no way to go from low back to high without shutting it off. Mildly annoying, but I can live with it.

They claim 900 lumens which is really optimistic.... I think somebody did a metered test around here and it came out to around 550 lumens, which is still way more than any light I ever owned. Better beam and double the runtime as well, not to mention its like 1/4 the weight.

Check the reviews and discussions here. Way covered. In a nutshell... yes there are better lights, but those lights are like 5x the price, which IMO is really hard to justify compared to this thing at $90 landed. The name branded lights are built better, have better features, etc.... but dang, hard to argue with $90 landed. For what they get for a mid level LED light you can get three Magicshines, two for the bars one for the lid... and have a retina searing setup that goes for 3 hours on full blast.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update to my last comment.

I got three magicshines and its fantastic. one helmet and two on the bars. Funny, three lights for not more than one trinewt battery.

I guess I'll join the throngs. Happily!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.