Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have been lurking here for nearly 4 months, purchased my 575 about 6-7 weeks ago: LOVE IT. I purchased my Team Turq 575 from a Yeti employee in Golden. It was his personnel ride and he really had a killer set up. He sold it to me as he wanted to move to an XL frame. My only issue so far is whether my wheels are overkill for my style riding. -Mostly agressive x-country

Current setup:
2006 Large 575 frame with Fox rp23 (Team Turq.)
Pike 2005 140mm Race Fork
Chris King headset
X9 Sram Shifters, derailleur, etc
Race Face Deux cranks
Spd pedals
Thompson stem
Tuvativ carbon bars
Thompson seat post
wtb Yeti seat
Maxxis Advantage 2.4 tires

Wheels: Dt/Hugi 440 freeride hubs laced to Mavic EX729 rims. The rims were hand built at Yeti and are bulletproof. He was getting sick and tired of rebuilding wheels, so he built these strong and tied the spokes. However, they are fairly heavy.

Since I need a 20mm hub I am debating between Mavic Crossmax XL (probably off EBay) since they don’t make them anymore, or just taking the plunge with Dave’s Speed Dream wheels. If I go the Speedream route I would go with Kings laced to Olympics (tubeless) with Stans. The problem, Speedream wheels will cost me almost 2.5 times what I can pick up the Crossmax XL’s for off EBay. I just noticed the Kings weigh as much as my 440 Hugi hub! (I guess the extra weight is in my spoke build, rims, and tires) Ride currently weighs about 30-31lb.

Thoughts, anyone tried either wheel on their 575?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Wow.. seems like an awesome build. Welcome to the tribe and mtbr!

I would recommend you get a custom build wheelset from a reputable wheelbuilder. I run Hope Pro 2s with DT 5.1s on my 575.

Your extra weight is in mostly in the rims and tires I expect...

Now... where is the mandatory pic? (no excuses :nono:)

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Mavic freehub = POS

Blackjd1 said:
Hello, I have been lurking here for nearly 4 months, purchased my 575 about 6-7 weeks ago: LOVE IT. I purchased my Team Turq 575 from a Yeti employee in Golden. It was his personnel ride and he really had a killer set up. He sold it to me as he wanted to move to an XL frame. My only issue so far is whether my wheels are overkill for my style riding. -Mostly agressive x-country

Current setup:
2006 Large 575 frame with Fox rp23 (Team Turq.)
Pike 2005 140mm Race Fork
Chris King headset
X9 Sram Shifters, derailleur, etc
Race Face Deux cranks
Spd pedals
Thompson stem
Thompson seat post
wtb Yeti seat
Maxxis Advantage 2.4 tires

Wheels: Dt/Hugi 440 freeride hubs laced to Mavic EX729 rims. The rims were hand built at Yeti and are bulletproof. He was getting sick and tired of rebuilding wheels, so he built these strong and tied the spokes. However, they are fairly heavy.

Since I need a 20mm hub I am debating between Mavic Crossmax XL (probably off EBay) since they don't make them anymore, or just taking the plunge with Dave's Speed Dream wheels. If I go the Speedream route I would go with Kings laced to Olympics (tubeless) with Stans. The problem, Speedream wheels will cost me almost 2.5 times what I can pick up the Crossmax XL's for off EBay. I just noticed the Kings weigh as much as my 440 Hugi hub! (I guess the extra weight is in my spoke build, rims, and tires)

Thoughts, anyone tried either wheel on their 575?
While Mavic makes great rims... Their wheels (in particular) the freehubs are CRAP!! Two pawl engagement that need servicing ALL the time. Axles loosen up way too often.. I can go on... Now, If you want just the front Crossmax XL wheel... Go for it. Just stay away from the rear.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Blackjd1 said:
Thanks Crisillo, how do you like your Hopes?
No complaints so far.... I haven't needed to service them so far, but they appears easy to disassemble and clean (no special tools, just hands :D)... also the front is convertible from 20mm to QR with minimum fuss... the freehub is a bit noisy, but I love it now.... I am actually planning on getting a second set for my SS ;)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Welcome

Blackjd1 said:
While she was still at Yeti: Never noticed how tall he was. That seat is in the sky!
What a beauty!. I run XTR with 819 and like it except I had some spokes coming loose on me lately. The hubs are silent and role for like 50 sec before stop.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Keep the wheels for a while- they are tough and if your bike weighs around 30 lbs or under, you're set. If you must change the wheels, go with handbuilt wheels for sure. I'd go with Hadley or Hope hubs with Mavic 819s or DT 5.1s. If you want something lighter, the DT 4.1/4.2s are good as well but I'd stay on the slightly beefier side for more versatility.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.