Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As SS/FG and 29er become much more mainstream, there are several other trends that seem to be coming along. I would love to hear comments on these

Mini-Velo - very popular in Asia and growing in Europe. These bikes sit like a road bike; but have 20" wheels. Geo is very interesting and they are not folders.
See the general style here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-gi9_OMKs4

Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? bike polo? a spare fun bike?
At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?

Retro City Bikes - these seem to be growing but still not readily available. Public anf Linus have interesting versions; they ride very comfy and upright; seem functional and nice for short casual rides; some are very attractive [I think] See the general style here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERBfFx1VW1Q

Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? family rides? a spare fun bike? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?

Monster Cross - a mix of 29er and CX bike - drop bars with super wide tires. I am unsure if this is a trend; but it might be. See a good example gere -> http://www.voodoocycles.net/nakisi.htm

Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? off-road racer? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?

Monster Tire Bikes - I have seen no real trend here; but they are interesting. The Surly Pugsley is an axample -> http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley_complete/ BUT I have seen an riden a street bike and a beach cruiser with super big high air volume tires [like 4.0 or 4.5]. Super comfy ride; like floating on air, and lots of work.

Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? beach or dirt rides? Just for the heck of it? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?

Noone really knows where the industry is headed in terms of new designs and comsumers demands; but it is fun to think & talk about.

·
beautiful jackass
635 Posts
bikesdirect said:
Mini-Velo - very popular in Asia and growing in Europe. These bikes sit like a road bike; but have 20" wheels. Geo is very interesting and they are not folders.
Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? bike polo? a spare fun bike? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?
This is absolutely ridiculous and I don't see it going anywhere fast (literally). I wouldn't pay anything for this. This looks like something somebody would build up when they're bored for a laugh.

bikesdirect said:
Retro City Bikes - ...
Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? family rides? a spare fun bike? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?
Bikes like this are everywhere on Craigslist. Only they're actually old and I would imagine most people buy them because they tend to be really inexpensive, even in a price-inflated market like the DC area where I live. As long as they're priced in line with what's on CL and Ebay I see no reason why they wouldn't sell for city folk. If I saw a bike like this for sale as a new bike I would expect it to have a $200 price tag.

bikesdirect said:
Monster Cross -
Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? off-road racer? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?
An affordable monster cross bike would be cool. Most of the time I see them, they are done with very high end builds. Priced maybe in the $500 to $800 range?

But then again, all I'd have to do is buy some dropbars and I'd have one of my own.

bikesdirect said:
Monster Tire Bikes -
Would you be interested in this type of bike? as a commuter? beach or dirt rides? Just for the heck of it? At what price would you think bikes like this should be at?
I have no use for a bike like this but if I lived somewhere that was flat and got a buttload of snow each year I might be tempted. I have no idea of a cost associated with such a bike.

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
Monster Tire Bikes - I have seen no real trend here; but they are interesting. The Surly Pugsley is an axample -> http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley_complete/ BUT I have seen an riden a street bike and a beach cruiser with super big high air volume tires [like 4.0 or 4.5]. Super comfy ride; like floating on air, and lots of work.

No trend? Have you seen the Fat Bike Forum? I for one would love to see what you can offer in the fat bike category.

·
Keep pedaling
422 Posts
Mini-Velo - Not interested.

Retro City Bikes - Not Interested.

Monster Cross - Yes, I'd use it for rides that cover both pavement and dirt roads.

Monster Tire Bikes - Maybe. It would help if I could also fit regular 29" wheels and tires on it.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
YB1 said:
Catagorize this one.
Yeah. Here's a freak of nature I built for a specific "Beers not Gears" ride. Coaster Brake required.

CIMG0642.JPG

Here's another coaster brake thing I built with 700c wheels.

CIMG0351.JPG

I can't wrap my head around the Mini-Velo. It takes so much energy to get anywhere fast on those 20". Believe me, I ride a BMX bike.

Monster Cross? Yup. :)

·
Front Range Cyclist
943 Posts
Well first off "monstercross" is often misdiagnoised as a dropped bar'ed 29er....which it isn't. Changing the handlebar alone of a bike doesn't make it a whole brand new bike.

A monstercross bike is actually defined as such (Matt Chester/Vulture guys started this BTW) is a dirt dropped bike with tires typically in the 40-50mm tire range.. More angile than a mountain bike, little more cush than a cross bike. little more burly. Hence "monstercross"

A 29er with dirt drops is just a 29er with dirt drops.

Monster Tire Bikes-Once again, little clarification here. They are actually consider fat bikes (yes there is a brand called fat bikes, but then there is a brand called Niner). There is a reasonable trend thanks to Surly with Fat bikes becoming more well known. More rims. More frames (Fat Bikes, Salsa, Form, etc..) and retro fit for just the front thanks to Jeff Jones/Vicscous Cycles and Salsa (Enabler fork)

Retro City bikes-This isn't really a "new" trend at all....only "trend" is framebuilders exploring it for shows such as NAHBS and other handbuilt shows. But they didn't go away. Just go to Europe or any relatively major US city...or hell...Lincoln, NE.

I think there really is no "trends" here other than monster cross and fat bikes. These are two categories that are quite legit and well established. I personally know of a new monster cross website launching (monstercrosser.com...their is a Facebook page already with almost 200 people) and I know of a company launching this summer that among other things will offer frames at the vary $800-$900 price range someone already mentioned.

There are always other micro niches such as pixies (20" bikes with long post and apehangers...popular here in Colorado for 8+ years now), Gravity bikes (Something we came up with back home...no cranks and low to ground), and more. But in the end i hardly call this "trends" as just people having fun tinkering with bikes. Nothing more.

·
Registered
481 Posts
S:Drive said:
Simple, circa 1980 Bassett Racing Cruiser look a like. Very popular 26" BMX bike back then, at least in So. Cal.

Except mines a 29'er and those Bassett bikes are fugly.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YB1 said:
Catagorize this one.

Interesting bike
I did a run of bikes like that about 6 or 8 years ago
They were called the Mango SNAKE EYES

sold OK, but not like crazy
Kinda a BMX Crusier thing

fun bikes, but not wide market

·
Registered
230 Posts
bikesdirect said:
Interesting bike
I did a run of bikes like that about 6 or 8 years ago
They were called the Mango SNAKE EYES

sold OK, but not like crazy
Kinda a BMX Crusier thing

fun bikes, but not wide market

Do you have any pictures of the Snake Eyes? I think a steel 29" Klunker would be a GREAT option :thumbsup:

·
Fixed and single.
336 Posts
+1 for an (more) affordable Fat bike as well as a proper Monstercross. However, to do so would require the proper tire size to return to the market.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mordecai said:
+1 for an (more) affordable Fat bike as well as a proper Monstercross. However, to do so would require the proper tire size to return to the market.

I have been sold on MonsterCross over the past two days
posts here
posts on BF.net
and now my wife saying 'hey, I would like a mountain bike with dropbars'

So I am sending a factory request for frame drawing in 4130 right now; I think the geo I sent will work well and I will use dropout that can go SS or Der; I like the idea of this type bike

·
Fixed and single.
336 Posts
Do you think that you can do it with sliding dropouts with built in tensioners? That would be rad. And do us all a solid and make sure it has post's for v brakes? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
481 Posts
biss-ness said:
Do you have any pictures of the Snake Eyes? I think a steel 29" Klunker would be a GREAT option :thumbsup:
Me too, I'd like to see some photo's.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts