Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a lot of speculation and opinions on various types of bikes in the forums. But I want to know who wants a bike like this/has a bike like this. Feel free to post pics if you want.

Frame - Hardtail (most likely cro-mo)
Fork - Rigid 26" suspension corrected
Wheels - 69r - 26" rear, 29" front (fit on susp. cor. forks)
Drive train - Single speed
Brakes - Fr and Rr Hyrd. disc

That's it, a Fully rigid ss 69r.... seems fun, easy maint., challenging o ya and really fast

Anyone riding this/want to ride this??

Plus what else would you run (carbon bars, tubeless ect, to make riding more comfortable or efficient)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Americanbandit said:
I know there is a lot of speculation and opinions on various types of bikes in the forums. But I want to know who wants a bike like this/has a bike like this. Feel free to post pics if you want.

Frame - Hardtail (most likely cro-mo)
Fork - Rigid 26" suspension corrected
Wheels - 69r - 26" rear, 29" front (fit on susp. cor. forks)
Drive train - Single speed
Brakes - Fr and Rr Hyrd. disc

That's it, a Fully rigid ss 69r.... seems fun, easy maint., challenging o ya and really fast

Anyone riding this/want to ride this??

Plus what else would you run (carbon bars, tubeless ect, to make riding more comfortable or efficient)
Lots of bikes like this out there.

Not clear if you want to make and sell them or build up one from existing parts for yourself.

If the latter, you what a short/uncorrected fork to keep the frame angles correct with the taller front wheel. The radius is ~32mm larger with the 29" wheel/tire so the fork should be ~32mm shorter than spec'ed for a 26" wheel.
 

·
HTFU and Ride
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
a guy i have ridden with used to have a 1x9 scott carbon hardtail with a 29er wheel on a rigid carbon fork and 26 out back. it weighed about 20 lbs with gears....SS would have been crazy, crazy light
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:
Lots of bikes like this out there.

Not clear if you want to make and sell them or build up one from existing parts for yourself.

If the latter, you what a short/uncorrected fork to keep the frame angles correct with the taller front wheel. The radius is ~32mm larger with the 29" wheel/tire so the fork should be ~32mm shorter than spec'ed for a 26" wheel.
Want to build one up, and I barely ever see bikes like this, I see 29er rigids, and 69r SS with front susp., and 1x9 69er (rigid and fr susp) but only one guy at my LBS has a Full on 69r rigid SS.

And the extra 32mm, would that slack my head angle to far??? The forks I want are
1 - Niner Carbon (29" fork anyways but its $425)
2 - Black ops Carbon 26/29" (This is the fork the guy at my LBS runs)
3 - Voodoo Zombie rigid disc
4 - Surly 26" 1x1 disc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
Americanbandit said:
Want to build one up, and I barely ever see bikes like this, I see 29er rigids, and 69r SS with front susp., and 1x9 69er (rigid and fr susp) but only one guy at my LBS has a Full on 69r rigid SS.

And the extra 32mm, would that slack my head angle to far??? The forks I want are
1 - Niner Carbon (29" fork anyways but its $425)
2 - Black ops Carbon 26/29" (This is the fork the guy at my LBS runs)
3 - Voodoo Zombie rigid disc
4 - Surly 26" 1x1 disc
The larger size of the wheel shouldn't slack the front out too much as long as you use an appropriately short fork (like shiggy said), such as an 80mm corrected 26" fork or a non-corrected 29er fork. The Surly 26" 1x1 fork would be a good choice, the Niner fork or other susp-corrected 29er forks would not
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
A rigid fork can get you hurt. There's a reason we went to suspension forks.Get a suspension fork with a lockout and have more fun on the downhills.
 

·
Now with 10% more!
Joined
·
407 Posts
I say not a bad idea. Haven't tried the singlespeed thing out yet (offroad at least), but why not have the pedaling "efficiency" of a 26" while having the rolling advantage of a 29er up front?
 

·
Live 2 Ride
Joined
·
6,128 Posts
How about you put a regular 26 inch wheel in front?
 

·
local trails rider
Joined
·
12,300 Posts
Singular Hummingbird?

http://www.singularcycles.com/bikes.htm
(comes with EBB)

A rigid bike may be exactly the thing you like, whatever advantages a suspension fork has. I don't have a rigid bike now but I think I will, again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing, but from what I could figure is that the frame I wanted to use would be thrown off too much by the change in height from the 29er

I could be wrong though... the frame I want to use comes stock with 80mm of front travel,
What frame are you planning on using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
I want to build a tandem mountain bike that bends in the middle for sharp turns. The rear rider will pedal with both arms and legs for extra power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This should be this hard, if you don't like this idea don't post. Also don't post if you bike/build up doesn't include these

1 - Rigid (fully)
2 - Single Speed
3 - Wheel combos similar to a 69er

Seems like some people want to try this, anybody care to share whats holding you back (Me = not enough money)

Anyone Running really big gaps in sizing for tires for 26" kona said why not run a 26 up front, so I ask anyone run/want to run say a 1.75 race tire in back and then something like a 2.3 tubeless knobby tire running like 35-45 psi??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Americanbandit said:
This should be this hard, if you don't like this idea don't post. Also don't post if you bike/build up doesn't include these

1 - Rigid (fully)
2 - Single Speed
3 - Wheel combos similar to a 69er

Seems like some people want to try this, anybody care to share whats holding you back (Me = not enough money)

Anyone Running really big gaps in sizing for tires for 26" kona said why not run a 26 up front, so I ask anyone run/want to run say a 1.75 race tire in back and then something like a 2.3 tubeless knobby tire running like 35-45 psi??
I have run 26 x 2.50 / 26 x 1.5 combos, 35-45psi is generally WAY too high for the front. I have gone as low as 15.

You may also want to look here
 

·
Live 2 Ride
Joined
·
6,128 Posts
I run 55 PSI in the rear and 50 PSI in the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shiggy - wow thats a huge gap!! and I've checked out the tire trends thread a lot, and Ive yet to find a good thread on 69ers, Think we need a separate forum, specially if big bike companies are making stock 69ers. Its seems all the 69er threads are people bashing them and then people bashing the bashers with no real substance to the thread.

Kona - do you run tubeless with your tires?? I run tubes at around 50psi front and back (26" both) with a my fork set @ 100mm travel.

Also while perusing some other sites it seems that people hate rigids - but love Alum. hardtails with short travel xc forks..... Steel/Ti/Carbon rigid would be more forgiving then an alum hardtail while also being lighter in most cases due to dropping the sus fork of the front.
Lighter usually equals faster imho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
Americanbandit said:
Shiggy - wow thats a huge gap!! and I've checked out the tire trends thread a lot, and Ive yet to find a good thread on 69ers, Think we need a separate forum, specially if big bike companies are making stock 69ers. Its seems all the 69er threads are people bashing them and then people bashing the bashers with no real substance to the thread.

Kona - do you run tubeless with your tires?? I run tubes at around 50psi front and back (26" both) with a my fork set @ 100mm travel.

Also while perusing some other sites it seems that people hate rigids - but love Alum. hardtails with short travel xc forks..... Steel/Ti/Carbon rigid would be more forgiving then an alum hardtail while also being lighter in most cases due to dropping the sus fork of the front.
Lighter usually equals faster imho.
There are lots of good threads on 69ers in the 69er (and other funky wheels) forum

Also, there may be lots lot people who hate rigids for some reason, but there are tons of people here who love them and ride them a lot.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top