Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I have been waiting for the New Top Fuel for over a year now. I believe that travel range is perfect for the trails near me. My Supercaliber XX1 AXS is crazy fast on those XC trails but on the more advance trails I feel like I have to be very careful. Having a 120mm travel front and rear will still allow me to go very fast on the XC trails and ride the Advance trails more confident. but....

My only negative review is:

They eliminated the Remote Lock-out front and rear. The remote lock out helped the old Top Fuel feel like an XC bike while climbing. Without it , I believe this is no Downcountry bike, this is a lightweight trail bike.
BMC has the Fourstroke LT with 120MM front and rear and Lockout
Scott has the new Spark with 120mm front and rear and lockout.

I still ordered the 2022 Top Fuel, The Fuel EX has too much travel for my preferred types of trial.

what do you think?
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I'm not sure how you can go too wrong. The new bikes were at an event my trail area just hosted and I've seen the prototypes performing well. Trek sells a lot of bikes all over and usually has top ranking post-sale support. I think most all popular bikes are good these days.

·
furker
915 Posts
I think it looks like the old TopFuel...but FATTER. I also think they now need something between the Super Cal and the TF...before that was the TF...but now it seems like there are two Fuels and a Super Cal. I do like the new paint color though...so there's that.

Maybe they will increase the SC to 80mm travel... 😺

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think it overlap with Fuel EX a little bit, like a slightly less burly sibling. Not sure how much better new Top Fuel pedals compared to Fuel EX. I think, if you more into trail riding over all-day XC and looking for versatile all-arounder, Fuel EX is obvious choice. But if you're more XC-oriented, picking Top Fuel doesn't seem so obvious?

Mulsanne Blue color on AL frame is gorgeous though. I wish my Fuel EX had this color.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
I'm pretty sure they put a bit more anti-squat into the rear suspension, so wouldn't be surprised if it out-pedals the outgoing model.

And for me at least, I couldn't be happier with removal of the dual lockout system, though I might want it if I was still racing.

Side note: Don't we already have a thread on this bike for complaining that it weighs too much? 🙃

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Some funky geo going on with the XL-XXL, and I love that from small to XXL the stack only increases 35mm. Hey Trek designers, get a few tall guys on your team. Not every can handle a 2-4" bar drop or wants to run 3" of spacers. Also the long wheelbase that comes with slack hta might be a bit of a handful on tight stuff.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Easier for you to find some high-rise bars than for me to chop some head tube off. :D

I like the look of the bike, heard the wait is 400+ days in my part of the world though so not sure we should be calling it a 2022 model...

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 2019 top fuel pedals pretty well. It was a hard choice between the fuel ex and top fuel. This seems like what most of the people want. I would assume a new fuel ex will be out soon with 140/150 travel. I took my front off lockout and still use the rear. I’m a mid pack cat 2 guy so it works fine for me. I’m more into the 5+ hour races which the old top fuel is great for. The new one maybe not so much. I would never ride the super cal. It’ll probably go away and they will have a 120/100. That seems to be what most xc bikes are going too.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Some funky geo going on with the XL-XXL, and I love that from small to XXL the stack only increases 35mm. Hey Trek designers, get a few tall guys on your team. Not every can handle a 2-4" bar drop or wants to run 3" of spacers. Also the long wheelbase that comes with slack hta might be a bit of a handful on tight stuff.
i offered. havent heard back from them yet. i cant buy a bike from them due to the low stack height.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Easier for you to find some high-rise bars than for me to chop some head tube off. :D

I like the look of the bike, heard the wait is 400+ days in my part of the world though so not sure we should be calling it a 2022 model...
not really... my pedal to seat distance is 40" (1015mm) minus the 175mm cranks thats 841mm. since the stack is 618 on the xxl, exactly how much riser bar should i run???? i only need 223mm to bring the bars up level with the seat!!!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
2022 top fuel is a shorter travel fuel ex.

we ride bikes. so its how the miles start getting put on when we ride hard that matters.

its not a competitor to the epic evo or cannondale scalpel se.

the weight weenie crowd will overlook it

·
Formerly of Kent
14,151 Posts
not really... my pedal to seat distance is 40" (1015mm) minus the 175mm cranks thats 841mm. since the stack is 618 on the xxl, exactly how much riser bar should i run???? i only need 223mm to bring the bars up level with the seat!!!!
Why are you trying to run bars level with the seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.