Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide on two different bikes to start trail riding. I have been idle from road biking for years and have been encouraged to take up mountain trail riding. I have the choice of a 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara Silver series or a new Trek 4300 disk. I am 50, 5'9 185 lbs. As I mentioned I am new to trail riding. Just want advise on which bike to go with.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
Not sure what the components on a 2003 Tassajara are but both bikes are good. I've always liked Gary Fisher bikes so I'd say go with that but there really isn't much difference. Ride them, see which one feels better. Good luck.

·
YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
240 Posts
i love the way my trek 4300 runs ive only it had it a week in a half but it has done wonders for me in the trails plus im guessing a new bike wil be more reliable than a 7 year old bike

·
541 Posts
Orange21crusher said:
I am trying to decide on two different bikes to start trail riding. I have been idle from road biking for years and have been encouraged to take up mountain trail riding. I have the choice of a 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara Silver series or a new Trek 4300 disk. I am 50, 5'9 185 lbs. As I mentioned I am new to trail riding. Just want advise on which bike to go with.
New bikes are well, new. Technology gets cheaper as time goes on. I am sure the 4300 is as good a bike or better than a old Fisher.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The Trek 4300 is a solid entry level bike. I've put 2000 off road miles on mine and it's held up to everything I could throw at it (or throw it at, lol). It may be on the heavy side, but it's a good bike.

I looked up the 2003 Tassajara: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/62
Rock Shox Pilot XC front fork: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-categ...cks/rockshox/pilot-xc/PRD_362229_1515crx.aspx

It has comparable components to the Trek, except it's seven years old. Unless you're getting it for under a couple hundred I would go with the Trek.

An advantage to a brand new bike, besides the newer technology, is that the bike shop will usually give you a handful of free tune ups when you buy it through them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts