Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back into riding after 10 yr layoff (and 4 surgeries - knee, shoulder, ankle, and back). Recently bought 2005 Giant Trance 4. I was in between frame sizes and ended up with the 18". I'm 6', 180 lb, 34" inseam.

Feeling a bit "tall in the saddle". Experiencing low-neck / high-shoulder discomfort and some hand numbness. Bike is still pretty much stock except tires, Ergon grips, and Thomson seatpost (410mm, w/ setback). Seat is max'ed back on its rails also. Also got take-off stem from LBS to play around with. Now at 110mm w/ 30 degree angle. Don't want to be laid out (more pain in shoulder area?) or too upright?

Any fit recommendations to get mind on riding and not on reminders of abusing body for years?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thats a tough question! I just came off a 2003 NRS 18.5" frame and now ride a 2006 Trance 18" frame. I had to get a thomson layback seatpost to make the knees fee comfortable and line up with the spindles. My seat is maxed out and as far back as possible! I am using the same 90mm x 5mm thomson stem as I had on the NRS. I am starting to get used to the new higher riding position and my riding is improving. I was experiencing knee soreness proir to the layback seatpost.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well first up that 18"/M is prob abit small for you - you're pretty much right at the end of being able to fit that size frame. Having your saddle all the way back on the rails and a 110mm stem definitley means the frames too small.
I'd say see if the shop will exchange it for the 20"/L then you will have more room to play with - shorter stem which will give you a more upright position, saddle further forward on rails which will actually help keep weight forward on climbs.

Other than fit, I can symapthise with you on the neck pain - I too suffer from it. Only thing to do there is try to not carry too much load on the shoulders, try to remember to drop your elbows and relax your shoulders. If your helmet has a visor try riding without it so you don't have too look up further to see past the visor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I doubt my LBS will swap out for a 20", but worth asking (or at least seeing what 'trade in' $ would be avail). I may begin search for 20" Trance frame and rebuild from there.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If you you can't get a test on a 20" and an exchange then maybe try the shorter stem w/ a bit less rise. Remember most important thing to get setup is your sadle position, from there you can adjust the cockpit w/ different length stems. The 18" might work for you, but to me it would seema bit to small going that I'm only 2.25" taller than you and 1.25" longer inseam and ride a 22"/XL using a (right now) 100 /6 degree stem and stock seatpost.

mpbokc said:
Thanks for the info. I doubt my LBS will swap out for a 20", but worth asking (or at least seeing what 'trade in' $ would be avail). I may begin search for 20" Trance frame and rebuild from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.