Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
EDR
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this news to anyone but me? I was out there today and went up Cardiac Hil, then down through that boulder infested twisty section when I came across a side trail. This trail rocked! It's freshly cut and went a mile or two. It's a kick ass xc addition to the system.

Props to those who cut this in :thumbsup:

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
I also found it last summer while riding with a friend, we rode it in the clockwise direction, but I've just started riding it regularly as an addition to my counter clockwise route. I think it follows much better counter clockwise. Here's my GPS, the new trail starts at 5 miles and goes to about 6 miles.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7297282

I found an even newer section just today. It starts about a quarter mile before the other. It is just after you turn left from Hawes on to I think Saddle Back, about a 100 yards after the turn just as the trail goes up a short incline (it's about a 12' little up with a big saguaro just to the right at the top) just before that little up on the right there is a new trail that I had never seen or heard of before. It connects with the other new trail somewhere along the way, but I didn't really notice where that happened. Next time I ride it I'll try to have my GPS along and I'll be happy to share with anyone interested. Someone did some work on these trails they have berms and built up rock sections for support. I think it's a great addition to the place. One other thing of note, if you look at the elevation you'll notice that it's the highest point in the Hawes proper trail system other than the trail going up to the microwave towers.

·
EDR
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey surfndav, was that you I saw today? We stopped and talked for a minute about the new sections before your cell phone rang.

I can't believe the section I rode today has been there since summer. How could I have missed it so many times? And it looks so fresh and rarely used.

I'll take my gps next time, maybe tomorrow.

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
I was out there from 1 to 3, but I didn't talk to anyone today. I only saw one other person the whole time I was out today. It would be cool to hook up some time; I've seen that you ride Hawes alot as do I. Right now though I have 2 weeks to XC season so most of my rides are geared towards training, but pm me some time and we’ll see if we can’t make it happen.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
wow....I can't believe I've missed that too since I ride out there several times a week in lieu of being a rat on a treadmill. I know exactly where that saguaro is that you refer to after the 12' rise...will be on the lookout.

·
Crosley623
154 Posts
I ride a fairly similar loop, as your first half, 2 times per week. I think I know the area everyone is talking about, but I have no idea what the trail names are so I'll just have to keep my eyes open a little more next time.
While we're talking about Hawes-is anyone planning on riding out there tomorrow. Let me know, I think I could sneak away for a few hours.

Andy

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
I know exactly where that saguaro is that you refer to after the 12' rise...will be on the lookout.
I think the trail is just before the hill. I just saw it today and i had no idea where it was going to lead, but I could tell right away someone had put some time into it. It is fun but you will miss one of the funest parts of Saddle Back, the part that some refer to as Disneyland.

·
EDR
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right now though I have 2 weeks to XC season so most of my rides are geared towards training,
you don't want to ride with me then, haha.

We'll hook up sometime.

Also on this note of new-ish trails. The area cut into the hill up near the towers is also a lot of fun. It's very high, above the water tank and has great views. I've only been on it once or twice b/c it's kinda outa the way of the main trails.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Going CCW, it is right after the tree that kind of protrudes into the trail, that once you climb up it, the trail flattens for a bit, then drops back down and into the wash. The new trail comes out by the 2.5' high rock, that you have the option of climbing over OR going around it. Nice, narrow, twisty, good climbing. GREAT ride... shhhh, dont tell anyone about it.

Jonathan

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
basketcase said:
Going CCW, it is right after the tree that kind of protrudes into the trail, that once you climb up it, the trail flattens for a bit, then drops back down and into the wash. The new trail comes out by the 2.5' high rock, that you have the option of climbing over OR going around it. Nice, narrow, twisty, good climbing. GREAT ride... shhhh, dont tell anyone about it.

Jonathan
Thx. I know exactly where you are talking about now. That tree has almost gotten me on numerous occasions. I must either be going to fast (highly unlikely) or just oblivious cuz I've never noticed this offshoot before. A little more variety is always welcome :thumbsup:

·
EDR
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dsittman said:
New to me as well.

Is this new section a right turn after the boulder/twisty section and before the big wash if going counterclockwise?
Yes, at least that's where I found it. It's a small trail that goes around a small hill. When I first stopped to check it out I expected it to go around the hill and stop, as if it was foot traffic for climbing that little hill. I was surprised to see it turned into real singletrack after that.

·
5,442 Posts
it's actually right after the saguaro which seemingly grows out of the rock on top of a little rise. You can find it as you are riding north, just after turning left onto sadleback trail from the trail which descends back down from cardiac hill doing the loop CCW and parallels the homes east of cardiac hill. You will come to a notch in the rock at the crest of a whoop-de-doo a few feet tall....boulder on left, saguaro growing out of rock on right. It is south of the significant twisty-flowy drop into the wash. I rode it for the first time on sunday after my crazy saturday....I never noticed it, passed it hundreds of times before. I actually picked by bike up and walked carefully over the intersection as to not make it obvious....not sure if that's kosher, but wanted to preserve the pristine nature of it for others.

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
it's actually right after the saguaro which seemingly grows out of the rock on top of a little rise. You can find it as you are riding north, just after turning left onto sadleback trail from the trail which descends back down from cardiac hill doing the loop CCW and parallels the homes east of cardiac hill. You will come to a notch in the rock at the crest of a whoop-de-doo a few feet tall....boulder on left, saguaro growing out of rock on right. It is south of the significant twisty-flowy drop into the wash. I rode it for the first time on sunday after my crazy saturday....I never noticed it, passed it hundreds of times before. I actually picked by bike up and walked carefully over the intersection as to not make it obvious....not sure if that's kosher, but wanted to preserve the pristine nature of it for others.
Thanks MJ. Is it worth missing the twisty part for this (one of my favorite parts)? Or is there similar conditions taking this side trail. Let's get another ride in sometime.

BTW. Saturday sounded freaky. Good for you to try and do what you could. Even the smallest things can add up to save someone's life. You never know. I've gone through a whole EMT course a couple years ago and would not be totally sure what to do in that situation myself. If you're not doing things like this everyday I think it's more than understandable to be scared/nervous/unsure about how to help someone in these kinds of situations.

·
5,442 Posts
It's worth it in that it's new. Relative to the twisty part, I see it this way. The established route which we all know is twisty and fast....flowy. The new route is tight, twisty and slower. Completely the opposite of the established route. Is it any more fun...no, it's all fun....just different. The newer route also takes you higher up on the bajada, right up against the boulders of the mountain slope, at the beginning of the wash where it transitions from a bouldery drainage, to a sandy drainage....cool scenery to ride in. I do have some concerns about 2 of the sections regarding fall-line sustainability as AZ Mikey pointed out, but I would not discount the enormous and exemplary efforts by the person or persons cutting the trail in. It is well built, buttressed with rocks in several spots and very fun....kudos to the builder. As for riding it....holler out if you want to go.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
its a fun addition, but it sucks when its dry. we only ride it when its gotten packed in, first time we pushed a lot through the sand pits. there is a part where you duck right under a tree which is fun, but the switchback right after that is super-sandy and i've only gotten it right after a rain.

now you all just need to keep your eyes out for the new rock trial about halfway up Upper Mudflaps. :p It adds a nice challenge to the XCing.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i rode this new ribbon on saturday, thanks to surfnDave. he was nice enough to tip me off in the walgreens parking lot. thanx upon thanx Dave! we got there via the longbomber, hike-a-bike, mudflapper, whatevah you choose to call it. lots of fun, and very well cutt. up and down gradually climbing, and then a nice flowsy decent, that dumps you back onto saddleback right by the large javelina sized rock that some people hop- ride over on the way to the switchbacks of death. i'm going out to ride the new trail right now!

but this time i'm going to get to it by riding up disneyland to the trail. that way i get to ride both sections , get the best of both. ;) see ya out there! :cornut:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.