Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get up to NTM very often, but I went up the steep road on the west side off of 93 last night. At the top I turned right onto the North Table Loop "Trail" (it is a gravel road in reality), and about 1/2 along I saw flags and a fresh trail to the left. I didn't see anything blocking the trail, it looked perfect, and there had obviously been other hikers and riders on it, so I rode. It went along the top of the mesa for a ways, and then I came upon the mini-backhoe that had been working the trail. Flags continued off down a little canyon off to the S-SE. I'm guessing you would be facing the east end of the Coors facility down below there. It definitely was not far enough east to see Easley, but I couldn't see below because of the brush. I turned around at that point. If I was not supposed to be riding that stretch, they should put sign or a log across the entrance. There, my conscience is cleared.

I looked at the map here: http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R28.htm which shows new trails in that vicinity, but nothing really matches up.

Anyone have any ideas?

Regardless, I have to say this is just another example of Jeffco Open Space kicking Boulder's ass in trail building. Boulder can't even bring themselves to just *allow* riders on a little two mile stretch of existing trail, let alone build cool stuff like this. Screw Boulder.

All of those threads about "Where to live on the Front Range" need to have an auto-reply to automatically insert "Golden".

Another wonderment: the NTM trailhead off of 93 has running water, drinking fountains (including a really cool dog drinking fountain) and actual flush toilets. Are you kidding me?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't get up to NTM very often, but I went up the steep road on the west side off of 93 last night. At the top I turned right onto the North Table Loop "Trail" (it is a gravel road in reality), and about 1/2 along I saw flags and a fresh trail to the left. I didn't see anything blocking the trail, it looked perfect, and there had obviously been other hikers and riders on it, so I rode... QUOTE]

Describes my experience yesterday exactly, about 4 hours earlier, except that I kept going. After the backhoe, it links into an old, existing, and really friggin cool trail that traverses the south side of the moutnain below the rim rock, ducking in and out of a few canyons. I was blown away.

This is, or will be, the southernmost loop on the map. I've been pondering that best way to "do" NTM for the past 24 hours, based on the map and my knowledge of the other trails.

How is the road going up the north side? While I don't mind a good climb and am always up for a challenge, I can't say that the climb up the main road was *fun*.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
I don't get up to NTM very often, but I went up the steep road on the west side off of 93 last night. At the top I turned right onto the North Table Loop "Trail" (it is a gravel road in reality), and about 1/2 along I saw flags and a fresh trail to the left. I didn't see anything blocking the trail, it looked perfect, and there had obviously been other hikers and riders on it, so I rode... QUOTE]

Describes my experience yesterday exactly, about 4 hours earlier, except that I kept going. After the backhoe, it links into an old, existing, and really friggin cool trail that traverses the south side of the moutnain below the rim rock, ducking in and out of a few canyons. I was blown away.

This is, or will be, the southernmost loop on the map. I've been pondering that best way to "do" NTM for the past 24 hours, based on the map and my knowledge of the other trails.

How is the road going up the north side? While I don't mind a good climb and am always up for a challenge, I can't say that the climb up the main road was *fun*.
I thought I knew the top of NTM like the back of my hand but I can't place where this "new" trail is, guess I'll have to get up there see for myself. "ducking in and out of a few canyons" is what throws me. And that grind up the service road was always "fun" for me, I kid you not. It's like doing leg work in the gym and I'm in the gym every morning at 6:45am. The other road climb I didn't like as much. YMMV

·
Registered
183 Posts
I thought I knew the top of NTM like the back of my hand but I can't place where this "new" trail is, guess I'll have to get up there see for myself. "ducking in and out of a few canyons" is what throws me. And that grind up the service road was always "fun" for me, I kid you not. It's like doing leg work in the gym and I'm in the gym every morning at 6:45am. The other road climb I didn't like as much. YMMV
Based on your photos over the years, I'm sure you've been there... Basically a high traverse below the rimrock and above 58. And "canyons" is probably an overstatement. Maybe "hanging valleys" is better.

Either way, I was pumped to find another stunning mile of trail so close to home.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Based on your photos over the years, I'm sure you've been there... Basically a high traverse below the rimrock and above 58. And "canyons" is probably an overstatement. Maybe "hanging valleys" is better.

Either way, I was pumped to find another stunning mile of trail so close to home.
I've been over there above the rimrock, overlooking Golden then overlooking the climbing area. Are you saying you found a "new" trail below those areas where when you're hiking/riding you're looking up to your left (going east I guess) at that rimrock?

There's a trail that starts over off of Easley (I'm simplifying the directions) that seems to skirt NTM about 3/5 up the slope. I see it disappear to my left as I'm looking north up the canyon I hike up. Maybe any trail building there isn't considered wildlife corridors or whatever. Still, I want to see this "new" one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've been over there above the rimrock, overlooking Golden then overlooking the climbing area. Are you saying you found a "new" trail below those areas where when you're hiking/riding you're looking up to your left (going east I guess) at that rimrock?

There's a trail that starts over off of Easley (I'm simplifying the directions) that seems to skirt NTM about 3/5 up the slope. I see it disappear to my left as I'm looking north up the canyon I hike up. Maybe any trail building there isn't considered wildlife corridors or whatever. Still, I want to see this "new" one.
Yep. Below the rimrock, beginning east of the climbing area. What you describe sounds like it. From the JCOS map, this trail will climb back up to the top above Easely, and also continue the traverse across the east side.

So, how 'bout that north access road? My conceptual future ride is north from the TH, up the north side, down this new trail, back up the east "canyon" back down the northeast "canyon" and around the north side. I'm looking forward to figuring this out when the trails are done.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The northwest trail or road up to the top is pretty much a steep jeep road, but not gravel like the one up to the quarry. I'm interested also in the trail on the southeast side, I think I can visualize the gap in the rock cliff where it would go up.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
there will be a fair amount of activity on NTM this summer... including new trails in both locations already mentioned. after some re-prioritization, JCOS is making some progress on the ground, though still not doing so well in the communication of these efforts.

regardless, i'll be glad to see more options up there after the ill-conceived mass closures last year. the days of riding up there solo are now long gone, but hopefully the new crowds and their canines will be dispersed enough to get some quality time on the bike on the mesa top.

:cool:

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
I've given up envisioning ideal loops up there. Whatever I'd think would be a cool area to cut in new trail is the next spot that's officially closed. However...

There are three canyons on the east/southeast side that either have some trail or could use some trail.

--the canyon that comes up past the seasonal waterfalls (I've always wondered if there were other seasonal waterfall areas) I believe now is an "official" trail, but it's only accessed by a long traverse across the top of NTM or a long traverse around the lower flanks. "Long" because I'm on foot for the moment and that's just a lotta walking that I don't have time for.
If the waterfall canyon could be accessed by a short "official" spur from that residential area on the east side, well heck, I'm there. There in fact is that short spur but replete with "TRAIL CLOSED!!!!!" signs all over it, probably because of lack of parking.

--the canyon that comes up from the Easley area is indeed an official trail. The trail that skirts the lower flanks joins up with it. And there is parking at the bottom (but with signs saying "hey, park over on 93"). That's my bang-for-the-buck hike, a really cool canyon that immediately starts climbing. I rode that many times in the past. It gets to the top but years ago the trail just kinda petered out and there was much hike-a-biking to get to another real trail, but that was the fun part. If that was an "official" trail that would be a cool alternative on top to going down the waterfall canyon.

--there's a third canyon that goes down on the east/southeast side past the climbing area. I ditched the bike and walked over there a few times but never found even a faint trail that went down to the bottom, maybe too many rocky dropoffs.

The entire east/northeast side is just pure escarpment. With raptors! I even hesitate to offer up my observations, fearing it'll alert the authorities of new areas to close. It'd be nice if it alerted them to new acceptable possibilities.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
xc guy - looks like the east side access you're talking about is envisioned in the long-term, concept plan: http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/ntm_concept_plan.pdf

Also, FWIW, tried trail running?
Thanks for the linky. My running days are long past. My knees just can't take it.

I've added a few arrows to that concept map. Red arrow is that third canyon that looks like there's never gonna be a trail that goes down it. Black arrow is the canyon off Easley that I hike up. The brown arrows indicate trail I don't think exists yet--one trail would come over from the Tony Grampsas Park area to hook up to the "Easley" canyon (cool) and the coolest of all is the future trail that allows the Easley canyon to continue up and over to hook up to the existing double track.

The blue arrow is that little spur I wish officially existed because, for me, that's the fastest way to hike up to the waterfalls.

·
Registered
435 Posts
North table Musings:

Terry, I always have NTM to myself when I ride it, join me some morning at 5:30, I do run into one of neighbors running up top on Tuesdays and Thursdays (like clockwork) but it's usually on the doubletrack and we just grunt and smile at each other: )

XCGuy, sorry i don't know the backstory, what leaves you hiking instead of biking right now?

It's funny, I had read about waterfalls so many times and seen XCGuys pics and always wondered where they were. Until the rains the past couple of weeks I have been so focused on cleaning the downhill over there without killing myself that I never noticed them. Last week it was so muddy and slippery I got off my bike, looked to my left and saw them, and they were flowing, lovely with the sunrise hitting them.

It's great news that there are going to be some more options up there, can't wait to explore the South side on bike, have done some hikes over there with the kids but never went over on the bike becuase it lead to nowhere.

Such a great resource straight out my driveway and I am only this year really getting good use out of it.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
North table Musings:

Terry, I always have NTM to myself when I ride it, join me some morning at 5:30, I do run into one of neighbors running up top on Tuesdays and Thursdays (like clockwork) but it's usually on the doubletrack and we just grunt and smile at each other: )

XCGuy, sorry i don't know the backstory, what leaves you hiking instead of biking right now?

It's funny, I had read about waterfalls so many times and seen XCGuys pics and always wondered where they were. Until the rains the past couple of weeks I have been so focused on cleaning the downhill over there without killing myself that I never noticed them. Last week it was so muddy and slippery I got off my bike, looked to my left and saw them, and they were flowing, lovely with the sunrise hitting them.

It's great news that there are going to be some more options up there, can't wait to explore the South side on bike, have done some hikes over there with the kids but never went over on the bike becuase it lead to nowhere.

Such a great resource straight out my driveway and I am only this year really getting good use out of it.
It's simple. After my last crash-with-injury I turned into a *****. As I lay there in a heap I just said "that's it". I just don't have the time to spend six months every year coming back from an injury.

I never used to crash or at least when I did crash I didn't get hurt. Over the past three years it's been one after another and I need a healthy body to do my work. I'm still a mountain biker at heart (witness my endless ramblings here) but I'm enjoying being in one piece now and finally back strong again (like a year and a half ago before my last wreck). I still cruise around my neighborhood (slowly) on my townie but I haven't had the rubber side down on dirt for awhile.

I rode for a looooooong time but I always said I couldn't go on forever. So far being a rider in spirit only is OK with me. Maybe you won't have that final crash like I did. I never thought I would.

As far as those waterfalls, those were a destination for me. I'd ditch the bike and go stand under them (figuratively speaking). Pretty ephemeral. Catch them while they exist.
It'd be cool to be there just after a huge thunderstorm when they're dry to watch them go from 0 to roaring again.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I saw some flags on the east side of NTM while catching my breath on top of GBP. See the newly cut trail and orange flags directly above the red barn in this shot...
yep, that was the site of the last Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew visit w/ COMBA... :thumbsup:
they're actually gonna go back thru w/ a machine at some point and finish it up.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Decided to check out the ongoings over at n. table and did the north table road/trail clockwise from the parking lot. Pretty chill little ride, and then quite the kick to the nutsa*k on the E/SE side which had me granny gearing it up unexpectedly. Awesome work happening in that area.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They also smoothed out the main road on top that connects the West climb (from hwy 93) to the North climb (from 60th). That's too bad, though, because now it's a super boring gravel fire road instead of the mildly interesting double track. No more big buff rocks - all smoothed out now.

Glad to hear of the other new trails, though. Just wish I could make it up that darn steep climb on the new SS 29er ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts