Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I heard there was work being done on a trail that went somewhere from around the middle of the FHDL and would follow the water all the way to the top of the dirt portion of Clementine. Has anyone else heard anything about that or is it just what MTB'ers dreams are made of?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
It was an anti-bike, anti-multi-use deal that quashed it. I don't remember the details either, but I know that part was true. Some blue hair wanted a hiking trail all to them self and ended up getting the whole thing cancelled instead.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My understanding in talking with people in the know is that well connected enviro/anti-bike folks (including a former judge) managed to confound/complicate the environmental review process, making it extremely challenging to proceed.

It's such a shame because the route flagged was exceptional and it would have resulted in great additional trail experiences in ASRA.

Maybe FATRACers could chime in here?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Whenever I ride the Connector and FHDL I always say to myself, this area is huge and it would be great to have a few more trails in the ASRA. Is this even a possibility or should we just be happy with what we have. Too bad that a few people have to ruin it for everyone.

On another note I rode Clementine with my son to get to the Culvert and noticed that some white trash piece of sh#t [email protected]@hole had dumped an old television, monitor and other crap down a steep embankment. It's going to be hard to remove because it's pretty steep right were they dumped it. The thing that gets me is that there are companies that will actually come to your house and pick up your old electronics free of charge. Rant off.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
01/31/2013:
Final Environmental Assessment prepared June 17, 2004. NOD filed August 24, 2004 and FONSI signed August 2, 2004. Draft EIR prepared August 2007. Final EIR prepared March 2008. Reclamation will issue a Supplemental EA by July 2013.
Speed of bureaucracies is astounding. Ten years to nowhere for a dirt trail.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Map of Big Bend North Fork Preserve

I have several friends who work or volunteer for the Placer Land Trust. It is a *great* organization. One provided this:

Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 10.26.17 AM.jpg

·
Registered
Specalized Camber SRAM NX 12-Speed
283 Posts
North Fork Trail.

A sh!t load of work was done to get it going. I don't remember why it was squashed. Was it the rafters/kayakers, or the economy?

Bureau of Reclamation Mid-Pacific Region : NEPA

Maps and visuals in Chapters 7-10

Maybe someday....
In 3.3.1 it states that it is a 12.6 mile trail. Geez an out and back gets you a 25 mile day already. Doesn't the FHDL cross the upper Lake Clementine Road? Could connect this proposed trail to the FHDL with a climb up that road or potentially have another trail connection to have the potential for huge rides.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
As I understand, a small group of people determined to derail the project kept delaying the work by threatening lawsuits if the county did not produce additional expensive enviro studies. I believe this strategy was successful.

Others may know more. I do know that all this was a tragedy, as it would have added a fantastic trail the ASRA.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
As I understand, a small group of people determined to derail the project kept delaying the work by threatening lawsuits if the county did not produce additional expensive enviro studies. I believe this strategy was successful.

Others may know more. I do know that all this was a tragedy, as it would have added a fantastic trail the ASRA.
I'm curious too.

I think I'm in the minority when I say this but I'm just not a fan of the Connector trail... a way to get from the FHDL to the Clementine loop not on the road and not on Connector would be nice. Connector is growing on me but still easily my least favorite trail in ASRA.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts