1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try this yet?
From the State Parks Web site:

NEW CONNECTOR TRAIL OPENS AT ROCK BRIDGE MEMORIAL STATE PARK

JEFFERSON CITY, MO., MAY 27, 2008 -- A new connector trail has opened at Rock Bridge Memorial State Park near Columbia, the Missouri Department of Natural Resources announced today.

The new section connects the Springbrook Trail with the Sinkhole Trail in the south central section of the park. The trail, which is in a wooded area, crosses an intermittent stream and passes by a large pond. It was built with assistance from Eagle Scout candidate Adam Wilkerson and Boy Scout Troop 6 from Columbia. The trail is open to both hikers and bicyclists. The park's bicycling rules apply.

There are eight trails in the park totaling more than 20 miles.

For more information, contact the park at 573-449-7402 or the Department of Natural Resources toll free at 800-334-6946 (voice) or 800-379-2419 (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf). For more information about the park or all of Missouri's state parks and historic sites, visit the Web at www.mostateparks.com.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a cool thing for a scout to do as long as they are doing it right. Got to go check this out.

You can always find out whether Rock Bridge is rideable by calling the park's trail hotline at 573-442-2249. It was open on Wednesday 6-18-08, not sure about now. Here's the trail Web site.

·
upgrade until you suck
190 Posts
Yeah, I'm guessing we'll be another 4-7 days until the park is open again; I haven't been out there since November thanks to all this rain we're getting. One day here, one day there, whatever. Guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for this trail whenever I get time to go out there...

If it's where I'm envisioning it (I'm too lazy to get my map from 5 feet away), that would be a decent trail to throw in the Show-Me Games loop.:thumbsup:

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
The park has been closed to bikes pretty much all spring and summer so far, with just a few days here and there where it was open. A problem I've run into a couple times is that the hotline tells me the park is closed, and I end up finding out later that it's open. Twice, I've left my skinny tires on and have ridden out near the park, just to be away from the city on those blacktop roads, and ended up seeing signs at the main entrance and Devil's Ice Box that said the park was open. The first time, I actually stood there at the sign (which said 'Open') and called the hotline, which told me it was closed.

I finally called the main park office last week and complained, so hopefully they'll pay more attention to the recording and change it when the park is actually open. No telling how many rides I've missed because someone was too lazy to update the phone system.:madmax:

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you -- I have run into the same situation. I almost always call the office if the hotline says it's open. Once I went to the park, saw it was closed, and walked up to the bridge where I met a naturalist. I was moaning about the trail being closed and she said it was supposed to be open. Ooops. I went ahead and rode but worried someone was going to give me grief for being on it. Trail was fine. Sad thing is, last week it opened on Wednesday but by the time I got there it was raining again, total washout.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
I was there today (7-7-08) and the park was pretty much perfect. I never saw the new trail, although I wasn't really looking for it. I was on Sinkhole a couple times though, so that's odd.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Okay, I found the trail today. One end is located on the loop section of Sinkhole, right where it begins to turn and head back to the main section. The other end is in the rock garden section of Springbrook, which is where I first saw it. I'd say it's about a half-mile long, very absent of roots or rocks, not very hilly or twisty, but it flows really well. You basically just pedal enough to get your speed up, and then just wind up and down the trail around trees while you feel the wind hitting you. If you're familiar with Binder or Rhett's, trust me, this is nothing like them. It's 100% typical R.B.

The only "technical" part (if you can really call it that) is one of the dips that goes down into a ditch in the middle of a sharp turn. Just downshift a couple gears before you hit bottom, and you'll climb right out of it. I could see it catching a newbie off guard pretty easy, but it's really not a big deal.

I should also add that the trail mostly stays near the top of a ridge, so it was very dry, even with the rest of the park having some soft, wet spots still. I'm really glad they built it just because I've always thought that area was going to waste.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you can now go from the top of the ridge to the techy downhill section without heading back to the parking lot? Sounds like a good option but I will miss the hill at the Rock Bridge. I'm thinking two loops -- one for the Rock Bridge Hill, then across the lot and back for the connector. Now for some dry weather...how's the trail looking after all this rain?

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
The trails looked pretty good, but the lower sections were still a bit damp. The worst of it is the rock garden that leads up Sinkhole trail clockwise from the parking lot. Too much shade, it's down low, and the rocks are all very slippery. Of course, my tires are made for loose over hardpack in dry conditions, but it's sort of hard to change tires mid-ride when your other set is across town in your shop. :)

Check my map, I don't think you saw where the trail is. You never come anywhere near the techy downhill section. The new trail is located at the back of that extra loop that goes around the silos.

I'm going to have to find out how far it is from the parking lot, clockwise up Sinkhole, taking the new connector over to the rock garden at Springbrook, then down to the parking lot again. I used to skip Sinkhole a lot just because it's such a short, 1.3mi loop, but this new section totally opens it up to the rest of the park.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
f3rg said:
The trails looked pretty good, but the lower sections were still a bit damp. The worst of it is the rock garden that leads up Sinkhole trail clockwise from the parking lot. Too much shade, it's down low, and the rocks are all very slippery. Of course, my tires are made for loose over hardpack in dry conditions, but it's sort of hard to change tires mid-ride when your other set is across town in your shop. :)

Check my map, I don't think you saw where the trail is. You never come anywhere near the techy downhill section. The new trail is located at the back of that extra loop that goes around the silos.
WHat I meant was, won't this take you to the techy section and the creek crossing without having to go down the hill by the Rock Bridge? That's what I'm hoping anyhow. What tires you running? I use Nevegals with the Stick E compound, they seem to grab even on wet rocks and don't mud up too bad. I've been working on the house, maybe next week I can come up for a ride.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Okay, yeah you were correct, then. I re-read your post a couple times and couldn't really make out what you were trying to say.

I was running Kenda Kinetics Stick-E last year, and they would have definitely stuck to the wet rocks, but they're heavy and the treads are quickly evaporating. Now I have Conti Vertical Pros, which are awesome for their intended purpose, but not so much once it gets wet out.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
I know this trail isn't a main loop, but why can't they give it a name?

"Hey, let's go ride the Sinkhole-Springbrook connector," is a mouthful.

I'm gonna call it George in the mean time.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a chance to ride this last night. It is well executed and should be sustainable. Really refreshing to find some near virgin trail here! And I like where it takes you. When I got done riding I tried out some new trail running shoes. As you come out of the parking lot (is that sinkhole trail?) and just before the old road goes up the hill there is a trail going off to the left. Never noticed it on the bike as I am focused on getting lined up on those uphill rocks. This trail looks kind of unofficial. It goes straight uphill, would be a blast to bomb back down. Anyone know what this is all about? I also noticed a dim looking trail on top of the hill just before you get to the downhill above the rock bridge. Seems like there is room for a lot more trail here.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Let's see if I can understand where you're talking about...

You enter Sinkhole off the East end of the parking lot, and head up that rocky/rooty area that will take you around Sinkhole in a clockwise direction.

Somewhere about halfway along, there's a trail that goes uphill to your left, far before you get to the sharp right-hander at the bench that takes you up the hill.

If this is the trail you're talking about, I think I went up it once and I'm pretty sure it either came to a dead stop or tapered off into nothing.

That'd be an awesome spot for a trail, just because the entire front edge of the park is still without any trails. I've always wanted them to build that into a real trail, and also put one at the grassy area to the right of the park entrance.

I'm heading out there at 2:00, so I might check out that trail a little more and take my camera with me. As long as it doesn't rain, I think I might hit Binder on Saturday or Sunday.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Big Jim Mac said:
I also noticed a dim looking trail on top of the hill just before you get to the downhill above the rock bridge. Seems like there is room for a lot more trail here.
I've seen that one, too. Last summer (I think; memory is fuzzy) that area was mowed down and big truck tire tracks were all over it. I was hoping they were building a trail, but I guess not. It might just be a walking path that leads to nowhere, like all the others.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's just before you head up the rocky hill on Sinkhole, the one with the bench at the top. I imagine you would be pointed at Pierpont store if you took that trail. Could be it only goes to the top of the hill there. Are the deer making these? Not much of a trail really. Also see one heading into the woods on the other side of Hinkson Creek, down in the flats. Never thought about that field by the parking lot, that would be a great place for some fast riding trails. Wish I could join you this weekend but it looks like I'm tied up. Enjoy them while they are dry!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.