Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished the build on my new Tracer VP...... I am beyond happy with this puppy.

White Medium
Magura Thor 140AM
Fox DHX 5.0 in the 5.5" mode (gonna try and make this work)
Magura Louise BAT brakes w/7" rotors
XT drivetrain
Stans Flow with Hope Pro II hubs
Kenda Nevagals

Thanks to Matt at Wersell's in Toledo for helping me with the build!

I'll post up a pic in the photo album thread.

Gonna ride Friday, Sat and Sun. Whoo Hooo!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wanna see it...and dernit I want MINE to get here!!!

I really like seeing white ones, since that is what I have on order...living vicariously through other people's bikes.

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
Stoked for you hugely, but why post a new thread saying you're going to post a pic in the photo album?

Get the pic on here my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have about 200 miles on the bike now. Just got bac from a three day Maah-Daah-Hey trail ride.

Also rode it a couple of times in the Mohican State Park trail system in central Ohio. This is a wooded area with a 25 or so mile loop which involves some good climbs, fast downhills and switchbacks.

I like the bike better in the 5.5" mode. Can't really say why, it just works better for me.

The Magura brakes are superb.. on wet slppery trails I was able to modulate them and the offer exellent feel and are plenty powerful. One note, they too 15 or so miles of use to bed in.

The bike set up the way I have it is a very good climber, better than by Dawg Deluxe and even though I am not a downhill ripper, I can tell that she'll do as fast as I'll ever dare with no sweat. I did use the pro-pedal and like the platform for hammering but I'm still sorting out the DHX 5.0.

Will someone tell me how to post a pic please?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have about 200 miles on the bike now. Just got bac from a three day Maah-Daah-Hey trail ride.

Also rode it a couple of times in the Mohican State Park trail system in central Ohio. This is a wooded area with a 25 or so mile loop which involves some good climbs, fast downhills and switchbacks.

I like the bike better in the 5.5" mode. Can't really say why, it just works better for me.

The Magura brakes are superb.. on wet slppery trails I was able to modulate them and the offer exellent feel and are plenty powerful. One note, they too 15 or so miles of use to bed in.

The bike set up the way I have it is a very good climber, better than by Dawg Deluxe and even though I am not a downhill ripper, I can tell that she'll do as fast as I'll ever dare with no sweat. I did use the pro-pedal and like the platform for hammering but I'm still sorting out the DHX 5.0.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
STT GUY said:
Maybe a little help with just a normal post would be in order first, no? ;)

There's two ways to post a pic but first use a photo editor like Photoshop, Picasa, or Irfanview (the last two are free downloads) to downsize your photo to something manageable like 700-900 pixels wide and less than 300kb in size, then save it on your computer as a jpeg.

Now open the "reply to thread" or "start new thread" window here on mtbr.com and scroll down below the text box and you'll see a "Upload Images" botton.

Click on this botton and you'll see five blank boxes each followed by a "browse" botton. Click on the first "Browse" button and it will open your computer's storage places. Go to the place where you've saved your pictures (My Pictures I presume) and double click on the picture you want to up load. The URL for that picture will then appear in the first blank box. Repeat this process for as many pictures as you want to upload, then click "Upload".

The other way is to upload your photos into a hosted photo sharing site like flickr.com or shutterbug.com then go to that picture on that publicly shared site and highlight and "copy" the URL (Control + C). Then just paste (Control + V) the URL directly into the text in this text box on mtbr.com.

The advantage to doing it this way is that you're not limited to the picture's total memory size and you can add text between each photo as you go.

Good luck.... and get some photos up of that new Tracer!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy crap! That's funny, just spit my drink out. I am such a dolt

My browser kept timing out and sending an error code so I kept hitting "post reply"..... Man alive!

Here's a pic, I hope this works and thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
ride
5,274 Posts
That's a great looking bike, dayum. I've been continually impressed with all of the Magura forks I've seen, too. Enjoy that beautiful bike.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Magura Thor AM140 is a nice unit but not as easy to dial in as the Fox Float RLC on my wifes Pivot Mach 5. I really wanted a spring fork but was told for my style of riding this would suit me fine and it is of course lighter weight. IMO, springs work better than air. I come from a motorcycle background and we ditched air 20 years ago.. or was that 30 years ago...

Regarding cost... I was able to trade a for some of the cost of the bike. With the wheel set (Stans Flow and Hope 2 hubs) and Magura suff this would be right aroud a $5000 bike from what I can figure.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
42,274 Posts
The Magura Thor AM140 is a nice unit but not as easy to dial in as the Fox Float RLC on my wifes Pivot Mach 5. I really wanted a spring fork but was told for my style of riding this would suit me fine and it is of course lighter weight. IMO, springs work better than air. I come from a motorcycle background and we ditched air 20 years ago.. or was that 30 years ago...

Regarding cost... I was able to trade a for some of the cost of the bike. With the wheel set (Stans Flow and Hope 2 hubs) and Magura suff this would be right aroud a $5000 bike from what I can figure.
I come from a motorcycle background as well. And the air forks I think you are referring to were on the Yamaha YZ's circa 1976. And as you said they didn't quite make it and were dumped after a just one year on the market. There were two huge air canisters mounted at the top of each fork. They resembled a speedo and a tach. Basically very wierd looking. Of course a weight savings in the MX world takes a back seat over performance. Which sometimes is the opposite in the MTB world. BTW nice ride are you still on it? Hence the rebirth of this old thread. I was surfing some old threads and happened upon this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts