Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Beer Swilling Clyde
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn this economy! I'm currently making about 60% of what I was a year ago but it hasn't stopped me from wanting to upgrade my old girl to a newer model. I was originally going to spree for a new banshee but, found out I'm going to be a dad in eight months, pretty sure my lady would castrate me if I spent that kind of cash on a frame. So after a ton of time online I found this little ripper. Not sure if the guy was hard up or just really wanted to get rid of it, but he gave me an amazing deal. (he's legit, checked him out, not stolen) The great part is I just sold my frame so after it's all said and done, it cost me 8 bucks!

The build is going to be a mix of take offs from my old ride and bargains I can find in the next month or two. Hoping to keep it under 800 total by the time I'm done, not too bad for upgrading from an 04 to an 09 model.

Anyone else find any great deals lately? It's a buyers market in used bike gear just like in housing, currently waiting for UPS to drop off a pair of Magura Marta SL's I just paid 100 bucks for.

Attachments

·
Trust your turbo lust
38 Posts
i just picked up a scott spark with sram xx drivetrain and a rock shocks sid wc for about $1500. more than i should have spent on a bike considering i am out of work, but it was for my bday and its all i got this year.

good find on that gt, i have been looking for a good deal on an new gt frame to replace my old gt idrive.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Heh some of you are lucky that you live in areas where people don't know what they have or aren't aware of the real value. Everyone always talks on here about looking for used bikes and being able to find great deals. I search for deals all the time, and have never seen any really good deals out here in Colorado. As a matter of fact a lot of stuff is way overpriced for what it is. The closest I got was a slightly used Thomson Elite seatpost for $40 off craigslist. :p

·
Beer Swilling Clyde
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BaeckerX1 said:
Heh some of you are lucky that you live in areas where people don't know what they have or aren't aware of the real value. Everyone always talks on here about looking for used bikes and being able to find great deals. I search for deals all the time, and have never seen any really good deals out here in Colorado. As a matter of fact a lot of stuff is way overpriced for what it is. The closest I got was a slightly used Thomson Elite seatpost for $40 off craigslist. :p
Portland is definitely like that too. There are enough serious riders here to know a good deal so if you see one, you have to be really quick. There was a 06 enduro that went up on craigslist for 600 a few months ago and when I finally got a hold of the guy he told me 30 people had already beat me too it! I actually found this frame from a guy down in Salt Lake City.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice find. I got a 09 DB mission frame brand new with headset, RP23, fox pump and seatpost for 650 shipped. Sold the trusty Bullit frame and a few parts for $400, The wife was happy with the $250 I spent, but damn $8 bucks your the man.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Blksocks said:
$8? I hope you inspect every single mm of that frame! $8 is serious money!!
The frame was $8 after selling his original frame so he paid more for the frame, just got some cash back when he sold his frame. Net result he was out $8 after all was said and done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jason B. said:
The frame was $8 after selling his original frame so he paid more for the frame, just got some cash back when he sold his frame. Net result he was out $8 after all was said and done.
And there may be some spousal approval math going on here as well.I use this formula often.:D Congrats on the soon to be a daddy news.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice GT man, I've spent a little time on a sanction and it's an impressive ride. I've noticed a lot of good deals springing up in Vancouver too. Ski season is always the best time to find cheap parts. I paid 300 for a set of Dee Tracs awhile ago.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The reason I find deals is that I serf the bike section of craigslist every evening. I picked up a Scott Nitrous last spring for $600 and then sold it at the end of the summer for $580

MXPUNK try setting psi around your weight, not the official way to do it but it work on my Float R

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.