Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my LBS told me when I ordered it that my new bike wouldn't be here until the 19th. As usual, though, they over-estimated delivery. I think they do that on purpose with all special orders so the customer doesn't start bugging them before stuff gets there and they always look good when stuff arrives early.

They also do a lot more than most when setting up new bikes. Check this out All bike shops should do this They add this into their price but it's worth it.

Here's a couple pics I took when I got it home.

I spent a few hours before riding switching out a few things. It now has a Thomson post, Mary bars, Time ATACs, and a 203 front rotor but you don't get to see that stuff 'cause my camera started acting up on me. I'll try again tomorrow.

I don't have much to compare it to, but overall I think I like it and I'll keep it for a while. After my Surly Instigator this thing feels pretty light and even a bit on the flexy side. The Joytech hubs might be a weak point. Before I rode it I noticed that the rear wheel bearings felt loose but if I turned the wheel 1/2 a turn the play went away. I wonder if replacing the balls will fix that

Now I just hope the weather isn't too nasty so I can ride it tomorrow more than just around the neighborhood and the local parks..

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,130 Posts
Upgrade-itis, huh?

Nice! I'm glad to see you got it early. Hope to see a pic of the bike with the Mary bars. What stem did you use? Did you just buy an adapter for the bigger rotor, or did you replace the entire front caliper? Curious, that's all. :)

I hope that you enjoy many miles of trails on it! It would be interesting to me to hear your take on it, as I have my opinions of it already.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the reflectors get the deep six. Safety be damned, those cheap plastic things are ugly!

I had a 4-bolt, 110 x 6 deg Ritchey comp stem in my spares box. I always use 4-bolt stems. For the brake I just used an adapter for now. Te BB5s seem to work fine but they certainly are more of a pain to set up than the BB7s. We'll see how long they stay on the bike.

Of course this morning the rain and wind have kicked back up just to take the fun out of the new toy. This has been an incredibly dreary winter here in Seattle. I can deal with riding in a bit of rain but the constant 25mph winds are getting really old.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple more pics

Yesterday I took it to Lincoln Park, one of the larger city partks here, and took a quick trip around the local trails. Lots of mud as it has been rather wet around here lately. The tires were a bit hard so I got to test how well it crashes over wet roots.

Today, I took a quick ride down to the beach since it was such a nice night out.

Here's a shot of the Mary bars for Ted:

This shows how close the der is to the tire:

An a nice time exposure of the black bike against the Seattle skyline:

Click here for a high res version

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Random impressions so far;
The frame is rather flexy, really noticeable in the front triangle. Neither of my other steel bikes, Surly Instigator and Cross-Check, are anywhere near as flexy. Not sure how I feel about that yet.
The BB5 brakes work well enough but the pads don't always like to retract so the annoying intermittant rubbing does not adjust out without way too much slack. Adjustment of them is a pain, too.
This is my first bike with SRAM components. I like them; very snappy. I hope they hold up at least as well as the LX and 105 stuff I have on my other bikes.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,130 Posts
Thanks for those shots!

I like the Mary bars! They look nice on that bike. One of these ol days, I have to try a Mary bar.

On that front triangle flex: I notice this to varying degrees on different 29"ers that I ride. I feel it is a result of the longer downtube, the shorter headtubes, the angles of those tubes being more severe than on 26 inch bikes, and all the leverage that you get from the longer tubes/forks on these bikes. It all combines to allow some torsional, or twisting, flex in the front end. I would describe it as a shuddering feeling at the handlebars that is most prominent during very low speed manouverings, like riding around tight corners or trying to track stand. I suspect the extra leverage provided by the Mary is partially responsible for bringing out this trait to a greater degree. I don't think it's bad at all on my Raleigh, but I have a traditional bend flat bar on mine with no where near the leverage of your bar.

I also agree that certain bikes seem to be free of this flex, like the Karate Monkey and the On One Inbred. Heavier and or larger diameter tubing in those bikes compared to the Raleigh probably are the reason why.

At any rate, a lighter touch on the bars eliminates most of the offending flex and for sure, that front triangle makes for quite a forgiving ride on the trail.

Interesting note: I had it confirmed that the single speed frame and the geared frame are indeed the same exact frames with different BB shells and colors being the only exceptions. This presents a question: Why on earth didn't Raleigh spec a head tube angle that works better on a suspension equipped hardtail and then simply modify that BB shell for a single speed version using a suspension corrected fork? The way it is, they have a razor sharp steering SS with an unforgiving fork that can't be swapped out to popular 29"er offerings without making it handle like a truck, ala the geared model of the bike. Strange stuff!

Well, it isn't so bad that I won't keep riding mine, but I'll have to get used to the odd handling steering geometry, or I may try a slightly shorter fork, like the Switchblade on it. Maybe the On One Superlight, I'm not sure yet. More experimentation needed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.