Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know anything other than im supposed to get on and pedal. I use to have a Trek 8000 and im looking at Cannondales specifically a Rize 4 that im thinking im getting a good deal on. I have no clue what im doing and I want to start riding again but I dont know what I should buy. Like I said im new to this and everything is so detailed technical and complicated! I want something I can ride around on the DORBA trails on. I dont know if the Rize 4 is a good bike as compared to other Cannons. Any info would help alot thanx :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Its kind of a trade thing. I put an ad on CL and I got plenty of offers. Im bartering about 1 to 2k and Ive been offerd a Speacialized, a Klein, and a Rize 4. I really like the Rize 4 but I dont know what the difference is, I just like the way it looks so I was leaning that way. I use to mess around on my trek8000 alot before and I loved it I just dont know anything about the technical side to biking so I can use all the help I can get.

686 Posts
Why not get a cheaper bike for now, and get the hang of things before getting a nice expensive shiny bike? If you get somethin more basic than a rize (I rode one a while back, it's very nice bike, its suitable for very advanced riders).
Have you considered buying a bike for, say £600 (dont know what currency your in, sorry) this would get you something very nice to start on. If you learn on a more basic bike, you have to put more in and will develop your technique more- it'll make you a better rider. Which is where a lot of the fun in riding (for me anyway) comes from.
One other thing is that i know someone who spent a fair bit of money on a bike and upgrading it, thinking he would enjoy it forever. Over a year later it's got maybe 200 miles on it maximum, and he's just not interested in it. Im not saying this will happen to you, but its worth thinking about as you dont want to waste a lot of money.
Enjoy whatever bike you choose!

·
Fat Biker
426 Posts
Unless you already have them you will need to budget for these as well:

Extra Tubes
Fix-A-Flat kit
Tire Levers
Floor Pump
Mini Pump
Helmet!!!
Water Bottle or Hydration Pack
and it's a good idea to carry a multi-tool.

If you're very new to the sport I highly recommend you join DORBA and see if they offer any skills clinics. Here in Houston we have GHORBA and they offer at least 3 a year. I've learned more from their clinics than anywhere else. If they don't offer clinics at least you can meet up with fellow riders who can help you learn the ropes.

As for which bike to buy I agree with the previous poster. Buy a bike with a quality frame and most importantly one that fits you. Don't worry so much about what components are on it. All components wear out at some time so you'll be able to upgrade to better gear when they do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for all the info guys. What are tire levers? and are all helmets created equal? they look dorky and I never liked the idea but I know its for my own good. Whats a good brand hydration pack?

·
Fat Biker
426 Posts
Tire levers are what you use to take the tire off of the rim. With some tires you don't need them but with others you do. You can pick up a set real cheap at any bike store.

Most helmets on the market are more than adequate safety wise. You'll pay extra money for lighter weight and less dorky-ness. Many trails including state parks won't let you ride without a helmet. Trust me it will come in handy on many occasions.

Camelback seems to be the hydration brand of choice lately. They make really good stuff. I've had many hydration packs and I must say I like my Camelback Mule the best.

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Spend the most you can. It will force you ride even when the weather is crappy or you're feeling lazy. Big commitment = obligation to ride = better fitness and health.

There are plenty of non dorky helmets. Check out the high end Giros. I highly recommend the Atmos. Light and you can't beat the looks. Helmets also keep the hot sun off your head as an added bonus.

·
Student of the Bike
810 Posts
Dallascannon,

I've quickly scanned thru this thread and want to point out an important facet that nobody has mentioned yet: Bike Fit. This is the #1 thing in getting something that works well for you. I am correct in that you are bartering for a "bike trade"? This means that your bike options are dependent on the other guy being the same size as you. Bike fit is one of the biggest errors someone can make when they are new to this.

If you have established proper bike fit then don't over fixate too much on the bike details. Buy as much bike as you can comfortably afford to spend. The just get out and ride! Ride! Ride! This is the biggest way for you to develop opinions and taste. This will hold true for EVERYTHING people have already mentioned: tires, saddles, brakes, frame material, suspension types, 29er-26er, TIRE LEVERS. Everyone has what they feel works best for them and this process is honed by experience. You cannot short-cut experience. So just get (the correct sized) a bike and ride. If you fall in love with it then in 5 yrs you'll probably have owned 5 different bikes, ridden 20 different tires, gone thru 3 saddles and broken 2 different kinds of tire levers.

Cheers,
CJB

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rear Suspension

I had a 2007 Cannondale and now I got a 2009 Mongoose Teocali the rear suspension setup is better on the Teocali; it is called freedrive and diff bikes have diff rear suspension setups some are better than others at getting chain growth out and letting the rear shock flow. Gt and Mongoose are the only setups that I know of where the drivetrain all moves together. Check out youtube starting with the goose teocali and they also got videos on the freedrive setup; just type in Mongoose freedrive. Trek has active breaking pivot and the other guys have what they think is best too. Try to testride diff rear setups. The freedrive set up was not a night and day change from the Cannondale but I noticed that it was better.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know a guy who wants to trade me a Klein Mantra Comp and I dont know much about the bike other than its about 9 yrs old and its looks to be in sweet condition. Anything you guys can tell me about it? If I wanted to change out the suspension front and rear would todays components fit?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.