Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've managed to purchase a brand new large 2007 Yeti 575. I wanted to get a 08, but I got such a deal on the frame that I couldn't argue :thumbsup:

So I have a build kit for the frame already and the only thing I'm debating is a fork. Currently I have a spare Fox Vanilla 36 RC2 which I love as a fork. Its plush and oh so nice.

Now I've done some reading on 160m forks on 575's and some people like them. I'm not sold on the idea yet, but willing to give it a shot.

Now I was thinking about a few different forks that may work slightly better for my style of riding that I envision for the 575. I want her to be an aggressive trailbike, that is capable in pretty much what ever I do, while also keeping a decent weight. So uphill is probably just as important as downhill, jumps and goofing off.

I'm tempted to possibly buy a 36 Talas and sell the Vanilla, which in the end while expensive would be better I think.

Now I was also thinking of less costly items, like a Pike 454 Dual Air, Possibly some type of Lyrik, Magura Thor or maaaybe a Wotan if I can find one.

Also just to make sure I'm right on my other research. The front D is a 34.9 clamp? Seatpost is 27.2?

So I'm excited to be in the tribe! What do you think would be the best option?
 

·
www.obec.co.uk
Joined
·
97 Posts
Between me and my son we have an 07 and an 08 575. We have Van 36 RC2's on both of them.
We feel that the Van 36 matches up really well with the feel of the Yeti's rear sus.
Have ridden a number of Talas forks over the years, IMHO none compared to the Van.
Our riding style is very similar to yours.
We would urge you to try the Van before you sell it, what's the worst that could happen ? :)

Seatpost 27.2
FD in the office so I can't confirm but from memory pretty sure it's 34.9.

Enjoy your new ride.

Terry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
Welcome to the tribe
I suggest you ride and get to know your bike for a while. Than you can upgrade based on self experience rather than reading.
Enjoy
BTW, I guess you get little response since the rules of this forum is to post an image of the new bike when asking such questions;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GreenBonty said:
Welcome to the tribe
I suggest you ride and get to know your bike for a while. Than you can upgrade based on self experience rather than reading.
Enjoy
BTW, I guess you get little response since the rules of this forum is to post an image of the new bike when asking such questions;)
When the little brown UPS truck shows up at my door, the first thing will be a pic of the new yeti :thumbsup:
 

·
trail "cleaner"
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
adjustable fork...

If you plan on climbing as much as descending... You'd be much better off with an adjustable travel fork. The '04-07 575 models aren't very happy :mad: on climbs with a full 150-160mm fork out in front. Turn it down to @130mm and :D happens. Once you are ready for the DH's... open er up and let it rip. With that in mind...your options will be Talas/Lyrik U-turn/Z1 lite/etc......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AZmtncycler said:
If you plan on climbing as much as descending... You'd be much better off with an adjustable travel fork. The '04-07 575 models aren't very happy :mad: on climbs with a full 150-160mm fork out in front. Turn it down to @130mm and :D happens. Once you are ready for the DH's... open er up and let it rip. With that in mind...your options will be Talas/Lyrik U-turn/Z1 lite/etc......
That is kind of what I am thinking as well. I was also considering a new 09 Revelation, I have a friend who picked one up but doesn't want it, he's looking for a bigger air fork.

One other question, how different do you think a high volume air can RP23 behave on the Yeti? I have one here that is just collecting dust and was considering swapping it out.
 

·
trail "cleaner"
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
depends....

monty797 said:
That is kind of what I am thinking as well. I was also considering a new 09 Revelation, I have a friend who picked one up but doesn't want it, he's looking for a bigger air fork.

One other question, how different do you think a high volume air can RP23 behave on the Yeti? I have one here that is just collecting dust and was considering swapping it out.
The Revelation would be an excellent choice:thumbsup: . Now, WRT the high volume can for your shock.... This will depend a lot on your riding weight/style/preferences. If you are a lighter rider, then I could see this as a good option. If you want added plushness and not worried too much about bobbing, again... a good option. If you're in the air more than on the ground.. then not so much as you'll probably be bottoming it out too often. The older 575's will work better with the high volume canister vs. the '08-09 models. These newer models blow through the travel much easier. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AZmtncycler said:
The Revelation would be an excellent choice:thumbsup: . Now, WRT the high volume can for your shock.... This will depend a lot on your riding weight/style/preferences. If you are a lighter rider, then I could see this as a good option. If you want added plushness and not worried too much about bobbing, again... a good option. If you're in the air more than on the ground.. then not so much as you'll probably be bottoming it out too often. The older 575's will work better with the high volume canister vs. the '08-09 models. These newer models blow through the travel much easier. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
We'll see how it goes, I also have access to a Monarch 4.2 that I would like to see how it runs on the yeti. That is another HV option though. I'll be interesting for sure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dsittman said:
Monty. Per your avatar, was your previous ride a Chumba? If so, which model and why? Just curious as I am interested in the XCL as well as 575. :)
I had an 07 XCL for a while. I liked the bike, but ended up moving on from it as I had some issue's with pivots backing out and a few other minor issue's. Bike rode well, was pretty plush and pedaled nice. Overall I'd call it a pretty neutral ride, didn't have a draw back in any area or excel in any area. Just a very solid bike, but if I were to go back to chumba I would do their new FS offering, the VF2 or whatever the acronym is. But that is just me :thumbsup:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top